Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement to the US

Retirement to the US

Old May 22nd 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Bmoor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement to the US

Hi, can anyone help me with a question on retiring to the US.
I am a retired Brit i.e.over 65 yo and have a friend living in Oregon. I would like to find out if there is a way I can move to the US on a long term basis. I have sufficient funds to live on so would not need to seek any employment, altho my freind will have something to say about that I guess asd she owns a horse stables.
I have looked at the B1/B2 visa but that, apparently, only allows me 6 months at a time, after which I have to return to the UK or at least leave the US. I have searched the other visa's available but boy are they complicated. Marriage would be out of the question, besides which she is a Brit with a green card due to previous marriages to US citizens.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Brian
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement to the US

Forgive me for sounding like Professor Obvious, but to live in the US on a long-term basis you need the correct visa. Most immigrants get the visa from employment, family sponsorship, or the Visa Lottery. There is no retirement visa. Unless you find a way to qualify for one of the "complicated" visas, you're going to be limited to B2 visas for periodic visits.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Then there is the issue of medical insurance... you will definitely need medical insurance and that can be very expensive since you are older ... premiums are usually based on age and location. Although I don't know if some sort of travel insurance might cover you .. that will also be expensive

Take a look at this link for ways to get to the US

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Last edited by limeynus; May 22nd 2009 at 2:09 pm. Reason: "s"
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bmoor
Hi, can anyone help me with a question on retiring to the US.
I am a retired Brit i.e.over 65 yo and have a friend living in Oregon. I would like to find out if there is a way I can move to the US on a long term basis. I have sufficient funds to live on so would not need to seek any employment, altho my freind will have something to say about that I guess asd she owns a horse stables.
I have looked at the B1/B2 visa but that, apparently, only allows me 6 months at a time, after which I have to return to the UK or at least leave the US. I have searched the other visa's available but boy are they complicated. Marriage would be out of the question, besides which she is a Brit with a green card due to previous marriages to US citizens.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Brian
It sounds like your only option would be some sort of investment visa, but this will tie up a lot of money and yes I think they are complicated.

On top of this when you say you have sufficient funds, after the investment you have to make, you have to factor healthcare into the equation? I would imagine that could easily cost you a thousand plus each month if you are retirement age.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
On top of this when you say you have sufficient funds, after the investment you have to make, you have to factor healthcare into the equation? I would imagine that could easily cost you a thousand plus each month if you are retirement age.
Or he might finmd himself uninsurable depending on medical history.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:10 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

That depends on the state doesn't it?

I thought it was now illegal to refuse someone because of a preexisting condition in most states?
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
That depends on the state doesn't it?

I thought it was now illegal to refuse someone because of a preexisting condition in most states?
I think that is one of the proposals being put forward as part of the health care reform bill, but is not yet the case.
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:15 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think that is one of the proposals being put forward as part of the health care reform bill, but is not yet the case.
I think the state has to provide an insurer of last resort for people who are otherwise uninsurable. It's been discussed before (I recall that OR has such a scheme) but it ain't cheap.
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Or he might finmd himself uninsurable depending on medical history.
Not residents of Oregon they are eligible for the Oregon Medical Pool which enables people the insurance companies would normally turn down to get insurance. Its run for the State by Blue Cross/Blue Shield and the premiums are capped at 125% of their standard premium for your age group.
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bmoor
I I would like to find out if there is a way I can move to the US on a long term basis.
There is no way ...
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not residents of Oregon they are eligible for the Oregon Medical Pool which enables people the insurance companies would normally turn down to get insurance. Its run for the State by Blue Cross/Blue Shield and the premiums are capped at 125% of their standard premium for your age group.
How would that work for a retired person in an age group that normally qualifies for Medicare? Seems like there would be no "standard premium" for that age group?
Old May 23rd 2009, 6:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
How would that work for a retired person in an age group that normally qualifies for Medicare? Seems like there would be no "standard premium" for that age group?
It wouldn't. Your question made me go and read the small print (my wife is insured via the Oregon Medical Pool) and they don't cover people over 65. So no use in the OPs case and I apologize for giving the impression it would be a solution to his problem.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

I looked into OMIP for my 65 + year old parents who were coming in as LPR's.
Obviously no Medicare Part A buy in available until resident for 5 years.
The OMIP position is ( not covered in the written stuff ), as it had not previously come up, as they *assume* 65 + people do get Medicare.
Their position is, the applicant would apply for and receive from their SS office, an explanation of why they are not able to do the Medicare buy in. This would be sent in with the OMIP application, and the rate would be the upto 65 bracket. OMIP coverage would cease when the 5 years as LPR was up, at which time they would be off OMIP and have to do the Medicare buy in.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they scared him off enough.....
Old May 24th 2009, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Obviously no Medicare Part A buy in available until resident for 5 years.
I think the keyword here is 'resident'. Would any state, or the fed gov't, consider him a resident, when he could only visit here for a maximum of 6mo a year on a tourist visa? If he would be considered resident, then I would think some of these schemes could help him with medical insurance. If he is not considered resident, them he would have to have travel insurance to cover him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.