Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement distribution and UK-USA tax-year offset

Retirement distribution and UK-USA tax-year offset

Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice
Default Retirement distribution and UK-USA tax-year offset

Hello,

I've been through the various threads on BE about liquidation of US retirement funds upon returning to the UK. I have an account with TIAA-CREF with about $70k invested in liquid funds that are eligible for a lump-sum cash distribution. In the absence of options to transfer funds between US and UK retirement plans, I've elected to take a cash distribution of the full $70k *before* I return to the UK after April 6th 2012.

I know the question of whether to cash out is debatable and the general consensus is not to do it. However, $70k is not a large sum. Also, the USD-GBP exchange rate is favorable at present. Further, I aim to exploit the offset between the US and UK tax years to minimize the taxes due.

I will pay US income tax on the full distribution (taken between now and April). Upfront withholding by TIAA-CREF amounts to 20% federal, 7.75% Maryland, and the 10% early withdrawal penalty. The actual taxes due will then be resolved in my US 2012 filing, in early 2013. I believe this should minimize tax when compared to being a full-year US resident (earning additional income) or paying taxes for UK tax year 2012, which are substantially higher than US taxes, at least for 2012.

Have I missed anything important re: the offset between the US and UK tax years to be concerned about?

Thanks,

James