Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Requirement advice please

Requirement advice please

Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Requirement advice please

I am UKC and my gf is USC, we are looking to marry around october in the U.S have seen the state requirements for each state we are intrested in, Michigan, Ohio and Vegas up to now, obviously not looking to do AOS we are wanting to return to the UK once her visa has come through for UK, but only see that we need to apply for license, but does not state requirements for non US Citizen....anything I need to know?

still looking at both options...U.S and U.K

thanks
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirement advice please

In Ohio you go to the courthouse and get a license, probably Mon of a few days before just to be sure. Just tell them you are non-resident and have no social security number and all should be fine.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If all you want to do is get married in the US and return to the UK, just follow whatever the requirements are for the state you'll get married in.

Some states require you getting the license x number of days sooner if you aren't resident in that state, Maine for instance, but usually, it's a case of pay your $20 and sign the paper and you've got a license.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I am UKC and my gf is USC, we are looking to marry around october in the U.S have seen the state requirements for each state we are intrested in, Michigan, Ohio and Vegas up to now, obviously not looking to do AOS we are wanting to return to the UK once her visa has come through for UK, but only see that we need to apply for license, but does not state requirements for non US Citizen....anything I need to know?

thanks
All you need is your passport in most cases, from what I can tell. You don't need any special status in the USA in order to marry here. You don't need your birth certificate. You don't need a social security number.

My fiance and I got married in Phoenix after he arrived on a K-1, and all he needed to show was his passport.

The only thing to watch out for is if there is a waiting time between applying for the marriage license and the time you can actually get legally married. In our case, you could marry the same day you apply for the license. Other states have a waiting period.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

flnycus is an unknown quantity at this point

Call the municpal building of the town you are going to get married in, they will tell you how many days before you need to pop in and get the license.

When you go in to get your license take as much info as you can, greencard, passport and birth certificate. (I had GC and passport and that was ok in NJ). Once you all sign the paper you can then go ahead and get married. Get your marriage certificate as soon as you can after the marriage. (The preist will sign the paper and you take it to the "bureau of Vital statistcs" for the certificate).

Then you can sort out the UK embassy stuff... Good luck hope that helps.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking at both options for marriage? Or for immigration?

I know you were asking in a separate thread about the benefits of using an immigration attorney. Just so you know, the answers you received over there assumed you mean immigration to the USA.

But in this thread you mention you're looking for her to immigrate to the UK.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

When my husband arrived here on his K1 visa, all we needed was his passport (as proof of identity) to get married. As others have already stated, make sure you know if the state has a waiting period after applying for the license.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

thanks
In Michigan you apply and then the waiting period was 3 days not including the application day before you could have the ceremony. You also have to go to the courthouse where your partner lives or was registered at birth (can't remember which) to apply, the actual marriage can be anywhere.

The cost was about $30 and if I remember correctly this was about $10 more than standard because I was not a state resident. As for ID at the courthouse, my wife took a MI drivers license and I used my passport.

Think this is all I think you need to know.