Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reports of Birth- 1st US Passport- EDINBURGH

Reports of Birth- 1st US Passport- EDINBURGH

Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default Reports of Birth- 1st US Passport- EDINBURGH

Not really sure where to post this as not seen it mentioned anywhere previously, but thought I would share our experience of reporting the birth and applying for both of my son's US Passports in Edinburgh.

We travelled down yesterday by train as we figured it would be easier than driving and parking in Edinburgh. I must say though that parking really was not an issue near the Consulate. There are spaces right outside the Consulate and more the next street over.

We had an appointment at 11:30 and 12:30 (one for each child). We arrived at 11:10 and all four of us went through security. Security was nothing at all like I was expecting after reading about security at the Embassy in London. We gave our names to the ONE unarmed female security guard who checked her list. We then had to put all electronics and lighters into a box she kept. We also went through the metal detectors.

After this we were told to go into the waiting room, where thankfully there was quite a selection of books and toys for the kiddies to play with. The room was tiny with about half a dozen chairs and 4 bank teller type windows.

At 11:20 I (the USC) was called to the first window. This is the window you pay at, but stupidly of me I read the information on the website incorrectly and had taken cash in dollars to pay. Edinburgh Consulate DOES NOT accept cash or personal checks. So, I filled in a credit card payment slip. I was advised it would be a couple of days before they process the payment, which will delay the process.

I was asked at this window to hand over the original documents- My passport, both full birth certificates for my children, my marriage certificate and both British passports for my children. Then I took my seat again.

At 11:30 I was called up to another window where a British lady went over the forms with me and asked me to add a little more info to a couple of boxes. I then signed the Passport application forms infront of her. She then signed the witness box. I set down again.

At 11:45 the whole family was called to a third window where a consular took mine and hubby's oath. He then asked my children a few questions....

"How old are you?" to both 4 and 7 year old.
"What is your mom's name" to 4 year old who answered "MOM"
"What is your dad's name?" to my 7 year old who answered "Christopher"

Then my hubby and I had to sign the Report of Birth application.

We were out of the Consulate by 12.. so in total both applications for both children were done within 50 mins!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reports of Birth- 1st US Passport- EDINBURGH

That's very cool!

I think there might have been one or two posts about London, but don't remember seeing any about Edinburgh, so it's great info for anyone else interested
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
but thought I would share our experience of reporting the birth and applying for both of my son's US Passports in Edinburgh.

If you haven't done it yet, also apply for their social security numbers. Applying for the first time later in life seems to incur a long delay as SSA check you out more thoroughly.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you haven't done it yet, also apply for their social security numbers. Applying for the first time later in life seems to incur a long delay as SSA check you out more thoroughly.
I was able to apply for my 4 year olds SSN, however I wasn't able to apply for my 7 year olds at the same time as they can only do applications for under 5's. Does anyone else know the easiest way to apply for over 5's from the UK?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
I was able to apply for my 4 year olds SSN, however I wasn't able to apply for my 7 year olds at the same time as they can only do applications for under 5's. Does anyone else know the easiest way to apply for over 5's from the UK?
You may have to use London.
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...q_fbu_ssn.html
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Just to say that I received the children's lovely new US passports in the mail this morning!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

Thanks for this! Very interesting read. Im going to London to do my daughters CRBA, passport and SSN in 2 weeks so curious as to whether its similar. I cant seem to find and reviews of doing it in London.