Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Deposit and rent on arrival - No bank account

Deposit and rent on arrival - No bank account

Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Walkerhome is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Deposit and rent on arrival - No bank account

We shall be arriving in Austin on Saturday next week to start our new adventure, which we are all very excited about but i have come up against a problem that i am hoping someone can advise on.

We have been advised by the Realtor that we will need a cashiers cheque to proceed with an application for a lease of a property, however we will not have an american bank account arranged and all our monies will be in the UK account ( which will take a few days to wire once an american account has been arranged). Please can anyone help as to how we will overcome this issue as we will be viewing properties on the Sunday of our arrival.

Thank you
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deposit and rent on arrival - No bank account

Cash? Not ideal to be carrying around thousands but if you're that desperate the I don't see why it shouldn't work. Or wait a couple of weeks before committing to anything because you really ought to check out the area first - maybe traffic on a Monday morning is dire, maybe there are parties on a Friday night, maybe you'd like to get some local opinions from people without an interest in selling you leases on properties.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:08 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

... for what amount?

You should be able to go into any bank and obtain one of their cashiers or certified check in exchange for your cash etc. It'll cost a few dollars. Last resort might be a money order (even available at a supermarket or Walmart) A cashier's check is regarded as 'good funds' rather than a private check (which can bounce). You might luck with cash or even a cc, but email the agent to see what else is acceptable for application purposes.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:37 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

We went straight from the airport to our new apartment in LA, so we had this problem. In the end we paid the deposit and first month's rent by credit card.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:28 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Take cash to a US Post Office and get a "Money Order". Will cost a buck or two but basically it's probably also accepted. Ask the realtor if they'll accept a US Post Office Money Order. They should.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

our realtor was great. We paid her some cash - she wrote a cheque out for us from her account.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
We went straight from the airport to our new apartment in LA, so we had this problem. In the end we paid the deposit and first month's rent by credit card.
+1 thats how we had to do it. Visa is universal and really got hammered in the first few weeks until we had ourselves sorted. SSN - Then bank, Then money transfer. Once that was complete we had almost reached the Visa limit. Still paying it off now lol.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Walkerhome
We shall be arriving in Austin on Saturday next week to start our new adventure, which we are all very excited about but i have come up against a problem that i am hoping someone can advise on.

We have been advised by the Realtor that we will need a cashiers cheque to proceed with an application for a lease of a property, however we will not have an american bank account arranged and all our monies will be in the UK account ( which will take a few days to wire once an american account has been arranged). Please can anyone help as to how we will overcome this issue as we will be viewing properties on the Sunday of our arrival.

Thank you
We pre-arranged a furnished rental for the first month so that we wouldn't have to rush into anything and then found an apartment, at our leisure, once we were here. The landlord was happy to take the deposits, etc, from a credit card. You could also have opened a US bank account with, for instance, HSBC which might have helped.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

UK bank can write a US cheque, isn't ideal but it'll work if the landlord won't take a credit card...
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

My employer wrote a check for rent/deposit then deducted it from my first month's pay, which made things easier.

Having said that, we brought the largest denomination traveler's checks we could get ($100?), opened a bank account, paid the checks in, and could write a temporary check the same day - I imagine you could get a cashier's check by a similar process.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:24 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Depends on your time frame. You apparently have somewhere to stay when you arrive?

When you decide on a place you want to lease, you will need to pay up front deposit etc. You do not need the cashiers check in order to start viewing places. You may have time to open an account/transfer uk money before you decide on a place.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Another 2 cents. When you buy the money order, from the post office or Walmart or the gas station, be sure to keep the stub AND the receipt. If for some reason they give the money order back to you, that is the only way you might be able to claim part of it back.
Most places charge $50 - $100 for an application or $25 per adult. Most corner gas station can give you a money order if you have cash.
Many Americans do not have bank accounts and use money orders to pay their monthly bills.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:14 am
Just Joined

ravman007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Hmm, won't HSBC or Citibank in the UK give you a US dollar credit card? That's what I got when I first moved to the US. I just used the CC to pay for my time in those Extended Stay America places. The bank takes the prevailing rate for the day, and charges it to your account in UK pounds. You then just pay it off using your UK account.

Or if you need a CC out here, you can get one of those Green Dot prepaid credit cards. You load it up with credit and use as you wish.

Or like others have said, go to the nearest supermarket and get a money order.

These are just for when you first get here. Not good for long term of course.

BTW, when moving cash over from the UK, make sure you use a currency trader (MoneyCorp etc), and not the bank. You'll get a much better rate.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bob
UK bank can write a US cheque, isn't ideal but it'll work if the landlord won't take a credit card...
When we first arrived in the US, my UK employer gave me a USD cheque for my 1st month's salary.
Seemed a great idea at the time, but because it was issued from a UK bank, it took weeks to clear and hence be available in my new US bank account.