Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Repaying Student Loans

Repaying Student Loans

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repaying Student Loans

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100

People who went to uni the year before I did didnt have to pay student tution fees, so why should I have to?.. esp when Mr Blair broke an election promise!?

Anyway, I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal! I am playing by the rules, and once I do start receiving an income aboue the repayment threshold, then I will of course start repaying!
Its just your have the attitude I find sickening
keep at your trough
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100

People who went to uni the year before I did didnt have to pay student tution fees, so why should I have to?.. esp when Mr Blair broke an election promise!?
1. Because the rules changed.
2. I suspect that Blair didn't break an election promise per se, it was just that the rest of us misinterpreted that promise.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
2. I suspect that Blair didn't break an election promise per se, it was just that the rest of us misinterpreted that promise.
He said he would keep the grants going for those who entered uni in '98, which would scale down per year and be topped up with student loans which would be interest free, once graduated it would keep in line with inflation.

There were no grants in '99 and it was just loans, and if anyone things the rate they charge is just keeping up with inflation, they're smoking crack and it was back dated from day one.

Any other business trying that would have had serious issues.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:58 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to relocate to Houston and am intending to pay a lump sum each year to reduce my student loan debt (as it will no longer get automatically deducted from my salary like it is at the moment).

My relocation to the States isn't intended to be indefinite so don't want to return to UK finding out that my student loan has snowballed up on interest whilst I've been ignoring it!

Last edited by Bink; Aug 23rd 2009 at 11:14 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 11:09 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
He said he would keep the grants going for those who entered uni in '98, which would scale down per year and be topped up with student loans which would be interest free, once graduated it would keep in line with inflation.

There were no grants in '99 and it was just loans, and if anyone things the rate they charge is just keeping up with inflation, they're smoking crack and it was back dated from day one.

Any other business trying that would have had serious issues.
Having actually done some fact checking, Ozziedoc is right - what Blair actually said something akin to leaving the door open for the possibility of tutition fees to be introduced - something which I have been ignorant / naive / misinformed about up until now. That said, as Bob says the rate they are charge on the loan is hardly rate of inflation!!

I was not one of those students sitting in the pub 24/7, I worked 20 hours a week in Sainsburys to support myself and help pay for rent, all the time contributing to the economy through tax etc, in addition to 20 hours of classroom time during my 4 year degree, so I do not appreciate some peoples comments about being all take and no give thank you very much. I paid my loan installments in line with the agreements while I was working, but now I have no income, so I'm not.

In the meantime, I will continue to be the law abiding citizen that I am, and pay when I am obliged to as the agreement of the 'loan' dictates. And I will continue to stamp my feet about it like a petulent child, regardless.

I still stand by initialy comment though - the SLC is sh*t!

Last edited by Chrissywissy100; Aug 23rd 2009 at 11:39 pm. Reason: oopsey!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice

I could care less about the moral stance.

I drank and pissed all mine up against the wall whilst experimenting with acid, pills and whatever I could get my hands on and you can be rest assured that I could give a cats fanny what some bloke called Ray who I dont know thinks of my moral stance.

Fact is, I wondered if there was anything they could do now I live in the USA (I would never intend on living in England again).

Seems like nobody knows
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBarry
Iacid, pills and whatever I could get my hands on and you can be rest assured that I could give a cats fanny what some bloke called Ray who I dont know thinks of my moral stance.
Why am I not not surprised at that...typical low life
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I could care less about the moral stance.

I drank and pissed all mine up against the wall whilst experimenting with acid, pills and whatever I could get my hands on and you can be rest assured that I could give a cats fanny what some bloke called Ray who I dont know thinks of my moral stance.

Fact is, I wondered if there was anything they could do now I live in the USA (I would never intend on living in England again).
Never say never....and admitting to drug use on a public forum, in the US might not be the smartest thing, especially if you have plans on staying in the US long term.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Why am I not not surprised at that...typical low life
I knew you would bite...too easy

Originally Posted by Bob
Never say never....and admitting to drug use on a public forum, in the US might not be the smartest thing, especially if you have plans on staying in the US long term.
Idiot
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Idiot
Charming....anyway, not that I give two shits.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Charming....anyway, not that I give two shits.

Oh Bob I was just throwing poo at Ray. I dont like his judgmental self righteous tone.

I spent my loan on a car and I am a school Teacher