Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SLingbox on Iphone - Anywhere (MiFi)

SLingbox on Iphone - Anywhere (MiFi)

Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:45 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default SLingbox on Iphone - Anywhere (MiFi)

Most people know by now I'm a tech geek. My company just replaced for me, my USB broadband laptop modem with a Verizon MIFI card. It connects to Verizon's 3G network and then broadcasts a WIFI connection. It doesn't have to connect to another device to work. It's smaller than a cigarette packet.

Now, instead of using the Iphone data plan, I can use the Verizon dataplan, through WIFI.

This means, I can use the Iphone on WIFI, and bypass all of the limits AT&T place on it. I can use SKYPE, SlingBox etc., anywhere I travel. I had British TV on yesterday playing in my car driving home (no, I did not took at the screen but was listening to porridge ).
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SLingbox on Iphone - Anywhere (MiFi)

that's pretty nifty....but how much would that set back us mere mortels?
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 3:12 am

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
that's pretty nifty....but how much would that set back us mere mortels?
It was $99 but the co got it free then it's about $50 a month unlimited (5gb). But I'll eventually drop the Iphone Data plan. which is about the same. The other neat thing, is when your driving, or in a hotel and your family or colleagues are with you, they can share the wifi (upto 5 connections).

it is "nifty"
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

unlimited (5gb)

wow - thats not so "un" limited...

still nifty.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
unlimited (5gb)

wow - thats not so "un" limited...

still nifty.
Be careful! 5 GB is not that much once you start streaming video/etc.

I use a 3G cellular modem card on my laptop. In the past, I used it only for the odd night at a hotel on the road, or in an emergency, but this past few months I've been living 3 weeks out of 4 in an apartment without any cable TV or high speed internet, so I've been using the Cellular card as my primary network connection, AND to watch streaming video from my 'slingbox'-like setup at home every night (getting my daily dose of 'Daily Show' and 'Colbert Report').

Looking at the logs for the device, I see I've used 1.7 Gig in the last 7 days; 1.4 Gig the week before that; luckily I was home for a week before that so my month will probably end at just under 5 Gig, but I'm close. The cost for going over that 5 Gig is quite high.

Since your device is provided by your company, you may not see any overage charges. I review all IT-related bills for my company, including our cellular bill. For months on end, I just look at the big number and as long as it is 'reasonable' I don't dig in. But once in a while, I start reviewing usage and start noticing 'anomalies' ... like why is billy-bob subscribing to the disney screen-saver service, and why is susie paying for ring-tones every few days ... which tends to result in embarrassing questions that I relay to the user through their supervisor ...

Just find out how to review your usage logs!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:18 pm

I agree. 5GB isn't huge but it'll be plenty for me and when I do get overage, my company's plan means we won't get billed.

I watched, on my Iphone, the Man City and Wolves game on the sling player over MIFI. It was an hour and a half game, never dropped ONCE and was about 370MB. I don't intend to do this everyday and will keep an eye on it (thankfully, the little Web Server built in allows you to see usage. The Quality was incredible for a soccer match on a small screen.

A lot of people don't realize, it's leaving the PC connected over night that can consume a lot of data too. Microsoft Outlook and Exhchange can really be a band-width hog even when not a lot of traffic. Just keeping alive eats band-width. When I manage that, I never have gone over.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by franc111s
I agree. 5GB isn't huge but it'll be plenty for me and when I do get overage, my company's plan means we won't get billed.
If we're still talking about at&t, there won't BE any overages. Once you reach 3.85 GB in one month, at&t will advise you that you are about to reach your limit. Once you do reach 5 GB, your data services will simply be cut off. Reach the limit often enough, like two times in a row, or three times a year, your contract will be canceled.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
If we're still talking about at&t, there won't BE any overages. Once you reach 3.85 GB in one month, at&t will advise you that you are about to reach your limit. Once you do reach 5 GB, your data services will simply be cut off. Reach the limit often enough, like two times in a row, or three times a year, your contract will be canceled.
I don't think that is true - I didn't bother posting these extra details, but we are transitioning from Verizon and Sprint over to ATT, and I got an ATT cellular modem to try out. As franc111s pointed out, leaving it connected overnight can suck bandwidth, and after 1 WEEK I was getting the warning that I was close to the limit (I think I got it at 4.5GB). I called my new account rep and he told me that if I go over, they will simply charge me $0.x per Mbyte over the limit - there is no cut-off, just billiing. Now, I didn't want to tempt fate and force it over the limit, but they were pretty clear that no 'block' occurs - which I would be happier about. They do have a posted 'per-MByte' rate, so why would that not be applied?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
It was $99 but the co got it free then it's about $50 a month unlimited (5gb). But I'll eventually drop the Iphone Data plan. which is about the same. The other neat thing, is when your driving, or in a hotel and your family or colleagues are with you, they can share the wifi (upto 5 connections).

it is "nifty"
Are you sure you can drop the iPhone data plan? I noticed something on AT&T's website that basically said you would be charged for the iPhone data plan if you had an iPhone on the account.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Sent you a PM.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Are you sure you can drop the iPhone data plan? I noticed something on AT&T's website that basically said you would be charged for the iPhone data plan if you had an iPhone on the account.
You might be right but I'll find out once the contract is up. I heard that by Jan, the AT&T / Iphone monopoly might be over.

I guess that gets me 10GB then, 5GB each