Reload this Page >

Renting property in the states

Renting property in the states

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:43 am
Just Joined

chris_1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting property in the states

Hi,
I'm a UKC with a USC fiancee and we're considering moving to the States.

About 9 years ago, I spent a summer working in the States via BUNAC and so acquired an SSN. I didn't take out any loans etc. or even open a bank account whilst I was out there.
As a result, my understanding is that I have little credit history in the States.

I've been told by recruitment agents that, given recruitment culture, I'm unlikely to get a firm offer of work in the US until I move over from the UK. (I work in IT and am quite optimistic about finding work)
My fiancee would be studying for a year and so wouldn't be able to provide proof of regular income, apart from typical student jobs.

I wonder if any of the above will make it hard for us to find somewhere to live. We COULD, for the short term, live at a relative's house about 60 minutes drive from where my fiancee will be studying. That could be used as a base until I find a firm job offer at somewhere nearby.

Also, does anyone know what a typical deposit is for a rental? (A month's rent perhaps?)
Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of
Default Re: Renting property in the states

Hi, we are just about to move over and found renting a place not as difficult as we thought. I am a USC but have not lived or worked in US since I was 2 and I now have a SSN. my OH has just got his visa and SSN since going through the visa process. We took a look at loads of properties and found that most were asking for first and last months rent and occassionally an extra months rent as a holding security deposit and in fact for the house we have rented that is what we have had to pay (so 3 months rent) although this seems high I dont think its that bad seeing as they have NO credit history on us at all. 1 guy tried asking for a years rent up front although it would have been held in the realators secure account. Sounds like you have quite away to go still, not least of all the minefield know as immigration so good luck there.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

We were in a similar situation, needed somewhere to rent ASAP when we arrived. My husband was upfront with the relator, and basically said, if you want we're willing to pay upfront, cash today. We also brought our financial statements from Australia with us to prove our credit history.

We had no problems. Even without a SSN he was able to open a bank account, and do heaps of other stuff. SOmetimes its luck of the draw though, who you get dealing with you on the other end of a phone. For example he got the power turned on, then 3 days later it was swtiched off. they said it shouldnt have been switched on because we havent got a credit history. He offered to pay upfront... but they wouldnt accept it. So he basically wore them down wih arguments... and the power was back on!

Amanda
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got your ducks in order about entering the US with the appropriate visa to allow you to work? The most obvious route would be as a permanent resident after you've married your USC fiancee.

Otherwise, if you don't wish to pursue this route, here's the options:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

As for renting a place, has your USC fiancee looked at her credit report recently? She's entitled to a free report (or three, if she chooses to get one from the three major credit bureau individually).
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Renting property in the states

Another way to find a property and most likely deal directly with an owner (who may be more flexible) than a realtor is to search on Craigslist:

http://www.craigslist.org
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:21 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Another way to find a property and most likely deal directly with an owner (who may be more flexible) than a realtor is to search on Craigslist:

http://www.craigslist.org
Bingo. If you go with an established Apartment building with 100s of units and a formal application process, you are going to have to cross all the ts and dot the i's. Really a pain.

But if you find a landlord, say someone who manages a few houses, and explain your situation and give them some paper (bank statements, offer letter explaining your income, etc) then you might get lucky. You could also look for a 2-3 short term lease from craigslist until you get your job secured and are a bit settled.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

Hello,

I managed to get a rental apartment before moving over from the UK. Lots of the local newspapers have classified's online, so you can check out the rental market from home. I had to pay only a months rent as a deposit and a months rent up front, also signing a lease for 9 months as well. Others I had looked at were 3 months deposit and a months rent up front.

Good Luck.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another apartment finding website, that I know includes private landlords: http://www.apartmentfrog.com/

I don't know where you're looking - it's more helpful for some areas than for others.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris_1979
Hi,
I'm a UKC with a USC fiancee and we're considering moving to the States.
Having a social security number will not give you a credit score -- borrowing money gives you a credit score. It takes six months from first borrowing for you to register a credit score. I would suggest you find $500 extra to start the ball rolling with a secured card as soon as you get over.

You sound as if you may need a joint sponsor for your petition.

Renting an apartment is not a great problem, even without a credit score. It is an even greater problem without an income or capital. Would stay at relatives until you have some money coming in, then look to rent.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you move to and if it's a complex or a private rental. Usual is a returnable deposit, first month and last month up front and a non returnable pet deposit if you have one.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

If your fiancee has enough of a credit history then that will probably be enough. We rented our last apartment and our current house from property management companies and we haven't paid a deposit at either. A year ago we had our lease co-signed by my husband's employer and that was sufficient, this year we signed it ourselves and our fairly meager credit scores qualified us to not need a deposit. A year ago private landlords weren't usually willing to work with us when they couldn't credit check us (no SSNs at the time).