Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uni graduate wanting to work in the US

Uni graduate wanting to work in the US

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

jeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nice
Default Uni graduate wanting to work in the US

Hi,

I've no idea where to start with this so I guess i'll dip my toe in the water and ask here! I'm a recent (last summer) 24 year old university graduate with an Honours Degree in History from a British university, and it has long been a dream of mine to live and work in the US. At the moment i'm looking to work in the UK political arena, with a view of eventually working in the US political arena, the latter hopefully sooner rather than later! I have no American family other than a few relatively distant blood relatives in Washington state, and I have never worked in the US before.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, links or anything to help point me in the direction? It looks like a minefield and I have absolutely no idea on where to start.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uni graduate wanting to work in the US

You start by reading this link and deciding what visa you're eligible for.

Right now, from what you've told us, your best bet is to marry an American citizen.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

jeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nicejeffjefftyjeff is just really nice

Cheers for the link.

Do you think that if, for example, I work in UK politics for ten or so years that'll improve my chances? That was my original plan - to become very good at what I do and build up a lot of experience and then hopefully transfer it to US politics. The two are different, but a lot of the basics are the same.

I don't want to marry an American citizen with the sole intention of getting over there, though.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:31 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffjefftyjeff
Cheers for the link.

Do you think that if, for example, I work in UK politics for ten or so years that'll improve my chances? That was my original plan - to become very good at what I do and build up a lot of experience and then hopefully transfer it to US politics. The two are different, but a lot of the basics are the same.

I don't want to marry an American citizen with the sole intention of getting over there, though.
I wasn't suggesting that you marry a USC with the intent of emigrating. I was pointing out that falling in love with a USC was your only real chance right now.

Of course your original plan makes better sense. If you're good at your chosen field, and work at it for 5-10 years, you'll be in a much better position to apply for one of the various employment-based visas.

Ten years probably is longer than you need, if you're doing well in your career. Still, it shows that you have patience and are prepared to plan for this move you want to make, so that's very positive. Most people come here with far less chance than you have, and want to move tomorrow!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:35 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Get a PhD and then find a post-doc position over here. From reading this site for the last few days it seems that a hell of a lot of us made it over that way
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:39 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Dan B
Get a PhD and then find a post-doc position over here. From reading this site for the last few days it seems that a hell of a lot of us made it over that way
Or drop out of your PhD like me...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

I was tempted by the MA/PhD route but don't know if I can put off a career (and money) for that long!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in politics for about ten years, primarily on Capitol Hill.

I have to say your chances of finding a job are miniscule. And that is even if you get over the Visa hurdle.

There are thousands of US kids looking for political jobs in Washington, and the idea that a political position would go to a foreigner before an American citizen is a one-way ticket to getting unelected. I remember the FBI once bought 4 Toyota Camary cars for undercover work--there was a nuclear explosion on Capitol Hill when they found out about that--hearings, demands that people to be fired, etc. Politics has a lot of real gut-level base xenophobia when it comes to tax dollars going to non-US entities and persons.

That said, you can get jobs in the private sector of politics, such as fundraisers, think tanks, etc. But you have to convince (somehow, some way) that your skills are something simply don't exist in the US--you have something special to offer "in American politics" above and beyond that of an American and that it would be of benefit to a company / organization. Short of getting a PhD or forming your own company that gets hired by an American politician, I just can't see it happening in any easy way.

Marriage is really your best option given the career path your are seeking. You may also consider a law degree (lawyers have a slightly easier to path to an H-1B and then reconsidering your options once you get in the US).

Sorry, but you really have a rough road.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

How many people would actually recommend the H1b as a route to the US?

Particularly if, given the time it would take the OP to attain the qualifications and experience needed to land a job that qualifies for an H1b, he might by then perhaps be married to a non-USC...

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:39 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Elvira

Particularly if, given the time it would take the OP to attain the qualifications and experience needed to land a job that qualifies for an H1b, he might by then perhaps be married to a non-USC...

You know what Elvira? I know your total, utter and complete hatred of the H1-B visa (and more importantly for you, the H4) and on many levels I agree with you.

But really, you take it too far for me. There are many, many people who would benefit from the H1-B route into the US. They just need to go into it with their eyes open, knowing all the facts, their rights, and their route to Permanent Residency.

So yes, even after my family's three years of H1-B/H4 servitude, I'd still recommend the H1 visa as a potential route for anyone asking. It's a perfectly valid way to get out here to work, particularly for someone young without a trailing spouse or kids.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You know what Elvira? I know your total, utter and complete hatred of the H1-B visa (and more importantly for you, the H4) and on many levels I agree with you.

But really, you take it too far for me. There are many, many people who would benefit from the H1-B route into the US. They just need to go into it with their eyes open, knowing all the facts, their rights, and their route to Permanent Residency.

So yes, even after my family's three years of H1-B/H4 servitude, I'd still recommend the H1 visa as a potential route for anyone asking. It's a perfectly valid way to get out here to work, particularly for someone young without a trailing spouse or kids.
Granted. However, note the bits I have highlighted above.

I know for a fact that we were not the only ones who were completely and utterly mislead about the ease of the route to PR. "You'll have your Green Cards in just a few months"........... yeah, right - it took more than 4 flucking years. This despite the fact that my DH was one of those rare 'outstanding professor' chappies...

Employers seem to make a habit of pulling the wool over people's eyes. Adding to that is the fact that the US is *WAY* overrated as a place to live.

Oh, if I knew then what I know now.......... wild horses... etc etc.......
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I worked in politics for about ten years, primarily on Capitol Hill.

I have to say your chances of finding a job are miniscule. And that is even if you get over the Visa hurdle.

There are thousands of US kids looking for political jobs in Washington, and the idea that a political position would go to a foreigner before an American citizen is a one-way ticket to getting unelected. I remember the FBI once bought 4 Toyota Camary cars for undercover work--there was a nuclear explosion on Capitol Hill when they found out about that--hearings, demands that people to be fired, etc. Politics has a lot of real gut-level base xenophobia when it comes to tax dollars going to non-US entities and persons.

That said, you can get jobs in the private sector of politics, such as fundraisers, think tanks, etc. But you have to convince (somehow, some way) that your skills are something simply don't exist in the US--you have something special to offer "in American politics" above and beyond that of an American and that it would be of benefit to a company / organization. Short of getting a PhD or forming your own company that gets hired by an American politician, I just can't see it happening in any easy way.

Marriage is really your best option given the career path your are seeking. You may also consider a law degree (lawyers have a slightly easier to path to an H-1B and then reconsidering your options once you get in the US).

Sorry, but you really have a rough road.
Thanks for the info

I'm always ready for a challenge, and even if it takes the best part of three decades i'm still up for it. I'm not looking to take on the thousands of US kids looking for jobs in DC, i'm looking at being far better than them in time! It's all up in the air at the moment though, in a few years I may be happy working in London and not give working in the US another thought. I just thought i'd come in here to find out the basics and see what my chances are
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffjefftyjeff
Thanks for the info

I'm always ready for a challenge, and even if it takes the best part of three decades i'm still up for it. I'm not looking to take on the thousands of US kids looking for jobs in DC, i'm looking at being far better than them in time! It's all up in the air at the moment though, in a few years I may be happy working in London and not give working in the US another thought. I just thought i'd come in here to find out the basics and see what my chances are
You should try to pick a field related to politics in which you can develop a skill better than your competitors in the US. For example, in campaigns and elections, I'm sorry--you are not going to get the skill set, the feeling of being on the ground in the US with the voters, working the campaigns, etc unless you have your feet on the ground in the US. The misreading of the American electorate by the European media, such as the disasterous Guardian 'write to Ohio' campaign, was one of the big stories for many in the American political crowd because so many of the journalists there had only cursory 'on the ground' experience. (Heck, some say the American media is too out of it as well when it comes to dealing with actual voters).

However, there are fields, such as the direct mail, data mining, opposition research, online campaigning, fundraising, law, journalism, and others in which a UK perspective on things might be valued later on when you are looking to make the jump.

One other point--you could consider a 1 year 'master' degree at an American University (if you can afford it) to get over here on a student visa. You would then get about another year of 'practical job training' in which you could stay and look for someone to sponsor you for a longer term position. If you could get over for say Summer school and stay through the Fall and Spring you'd witness the bulk of what is predicted to be one of the more interesting campaigns of the last 40 years. That would require you to be in touch with some schools starting asap.

Good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira

Me, for one.

It all depends on your personal situation. If you are single, have an in-demand skill and have your eyes open regarding the time it takes to get a green card, the H1 is a perfectly reasonable option. Particularly if one does not have the option of marrying a USC or inter-company transfer, which is most of us.

Worst aspect of the H1 these days is the fact that it is likely to be oversubscribed again and thus subject to a lottery, making it less desirable for employers due to the uncertainty.

IMHO perhaps a better option for the OP is to explore doing a masters/Phd at a US university on a F1 visa. Will cost a lot of $$$, but that way you get two benefits immigration wise. Firstly, you get to work legally for a period of time after completion of your studies under the F1 visa (which can be converted to H1-B when necessary but see below). This also gives you US work experience and physical presence in the US which will help mightily in your ability to be taken seriously by US employers. Secondly, at least as the law stands now there are an extra 20,000 H1-B visas per year available for holders of post-graduate degrees from US universities, so you do not have to go through the lottery process for an H1 (but apply early).
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered the UN? Looking into a way to get into it?
You could also look for any think tanks/politicial organisations that have something to do with UK/international relations, there must be some! You can try to get your way into one of those. Even tv channels like CNN, they have non-reporter jobs too.