Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting - basic costs etc

Renting - basic costs etc

Old Oct 9th 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting - basic costs etc

I would presume that if you go with a Apartment Rental Complex instead of a Private Rental, Garbage Disposal would be part of the Monthly Fee.

In one high-rise complex we'd just drop bags down a chute, larger items could be put directly into the large garbage bins. In another smaller complex you'd just take the bags to one of the collection points

Even when I purchased my own place, Garbage Collection was one of the things included on the 6-monthly property tax bill (Cook County so other Counties obviously do things differently)

if you do go for a complex, then I'd suggest checking out Appartmentratings.com, but take the reviews with a pinch of salt as disgruntled renters tend to post more often then content. But I found it to be useful info to the complexes I was considering

Last edited by dave2702; Oct 9th 2018 at 1:36 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Marina Del Rey in California and now I live in Atlanta so hopefully I can give you some comparisons.

We lived and are living in nice areas, so obviously you can do things a lot cheaper than we do (if you want!!)

My rent in CA for 1000 sq ft 1 bed apartment was a snick over $3000 a month, plus a $500 deposit
My rent now for 1400 sq ft 2 bed apartment $2000, with a token effort deposit

Its worth checking with the apartment complexes for additional charges, parking per space costs extra, trash valet is $5

I have never rented privately, always use company run complexes, but that choice is yours, I believe you have more comeback if you have issues eg maintenance etc.

We both earn the same as we did in CA and our money definitely goes further here, gas is something like $1.20 a gallon less, but beware car insurance in Georgia is appalling!! and I thought Cali was bad......................

Utilities wise, we pay a lot less for gas and lecky, even with the AC on since March, and cable telly is much of a much. about $180 a month for everything (yeah a lot but I have lightning fast internet, and every conceivable channel!)

Hope some of that helps.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

iOSDev is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies, really useful info - I should have specified -by waste I meant 'sewage' 🙈 have a much better picture on costs and can begin to piece together an informed rough costing between the 2 locations. THANK YOU
Old Oct 10th 2018, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Sewage comes under the water bill.
We rented twice from private landlords. The first was a disaster but she was the only one out of my list of 5 that would actually rent to us, fresh off the boat with no credit history. The house was dillapidated and she wouldn't fix stuff. In the end we complained so often that she broke our lease and we could move on. The house had been her family home for years so she simply wouldn't entertain the idea that anything could be wrong. Watch out for that sort of landlord. 2nd rental was much better. Guy had also lived in the house but didn't have the same emotional attachment.
In both cases we approached the landlords using a realtor. A British guy we'd been introduced to. Some landlords will never respond unless you go via a realtor.