Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rentals in florida

Rentals in florida

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Howie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rentals in florida

There seems to be a lot of you out there that had bad experiance with rentals in orlnado is there anybody out there that has had any sucsess in this
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:29 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals in florida

Originally posted by Howie
There seems to be a lot of you out there that had bad experiance with rentals in orlnado is there anybody out there that has had any sucsess in this
Renting what? ...a mower, a sofa..more details
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:47 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: Rentals in florida

Originally posted by ray6
Renting what? ...a mower, a sofa..more details
A lady of the night?
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 4:22 am
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

i had success.... www.bighousebythemouse.com

had 2 fantastic weeks in orlando in october of 2002

GJB
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Howie is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry I am looking at buying property in Orlando and therefore wanted to ask you guys if you'd had any good experience of renting out property in this area. But after reading your forums I can find nothing but bad news.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:08 pm
Franklin

sorry I am looking at buying property in Orlando and therefore wanted to ask you guys if you'd had any good experience of renting out property in this area. But after reading your forums I can find nothing but bad news.
How about buying office property? Renting out office space might work out better. But would still be risky, business always involves an element of risk. Talk to your accountant.

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There was 26000 rental properties in Orlando last year ...and about 20/40 a week are being added ..that bubble if not already will soon burst...
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

jemetpl is an unknown quantity at this point

Anout the only thing that might save Orlando are the hordes of Brits driving up demand and prices. From what I understand, the Gulf coast is where the smart money is going and I'm heading over there in a couple of weeks to have a good look.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:01 pm
Ray

Originally posted by jemetpl
Anout the only thing that might save Orlando are the hordes of Brits driving up demand and prices. From what I understand, the Gulf coast is where the smart money is going and I'm heading over there in a couple of weeks to have a good look.
Not to buy a rental home I hope...
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ray6
Not to buy a rental home I hope...
It depends where and what you buy. I'm an accountant and I have a couple of clients/ friends who've bought property near Englewood and they haven't had any problems with getting rental income. As with all of these things it depends on what your're looking for and how much you're prepared to pay.

One of the things which concerns me a bit are the quite ridiculous rental yields that are quoted by some of the developers and realtors but, then again, it's their job I suppose.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:13 pm
Ray

It depends where and what you buy. I'm an accountant and I have a couple of clients/ friends who've bought property near Englewood and they haven't had any problems with getting rental income. As with all of these things it depends on what your're looking for and how much you're prepared to pay.
One of the things which concerns me a bit are the quite ridiculous rental yields that are quoted by some of the developers and realtors but, then again, it's their job I suppose.
You will still be OK down there... further north you will run into County rental restrictions...avoid The Rotunda ..
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

We found that our property in Kissimmee bought quite a few years ago just about pays for itself through rental income, but was a bad investment nonetheless because of relatively stagnant house prices. Same money invested in UK property would have done wonders.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
We found that our property in Kissimmee bought quite a few years ago just about pays for itself through rental income, but was a bad investment nonetheless because of relatively stagnant house prices. Same money invested in UK property would have done wonders.
The trouble with UK property is that prices seem to have peaked and (in the best British tradition) are likely to rather violently adjust some time in the next 12 months. Add to this prospect of higher interest rates, general UK over-indebtedness and grunts coming out of Government about taxing sales of principal private residences and you have a recipe for trouble.

As I haven't been able to find one anywhere, I'm working on a investment appraisal model for Florida property and I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to the typical UK projection.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

The trouble with UK property is that prices seem to have peaked and (in the best British tradition) are likely to rather violently adjust some time in the next 12 months. Add to this prospect of higher interest rates, general UK over-indebtedness and grunts coming out of Government about taxing sales of principal private residences and you have a recipe for trouble.

As I haven't been able to find one anywhere, I'm working on a investment appraisal model for Florida property and I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to the typical UK projection.
I did a simple regression on our house in Florida (have an economics degree, might as well make some use out of it).

For a brand new house with swimming pool that cost $149,000 in 1999 in Kissimmee, we were getting about a $6,000 a year increase.