Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rental properties - what is needed?

Rental properties - what is needed?

Old May 7th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental properties - what is needed?

The sites say just show your license which would be un-endorsed of course. You could get a no-claims certificate but I don't know how useful it would be. Better to have it than not though I suppose if it's free!
We didn't use it as we didn't have licenses before moving here.
I know where you're coming from with the tube/train thing though. A lot of people tend to walk home in the evening during spring/summer/fall as it's so nice here during this time. 30 miles is a bit far for me though!
Old May 10th 2008, 4:12 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
The sites say just show your license which would be un-endorsed of course. You could get a no-claims certificate but I don't know how useful it would be. Better to have it than not though I suppose if it's free!
We didn't use it as we didn't have licenses before moving here.
I know where you're coming from with the tube/train thing though. A lot of people tend to walk home in the evening during spring/summer/fall as it's so nice here during this time. 30 miles is a bit far for me though!
I got my no claims cert. Nobody has looked at it, but I have it just in case. It is best to bring as many documents you can get which say good things about you. I also wrote to previous landlords for references before I came out here - therse things give comfort if you rent privately.

The walk is a little far for me too, although I can see that I would if I lived in the City. It is nearly always hot here at the moment, even when it rains! I can only imagine the summer...
Old May 10th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god LJ2 you are going to love it. 90+ degrees every day through the beginning of October. But the humidity is what will get you...98% is the norm...
Enjoy the rain while it lasts as this is all you'll see apart from the odd summer storm.
Old May 10th 2008, 5:44 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Oh my god LJ2 you are going to love it. 90+ degrees every day through the beginning of October. But the humidity is what will get you...98% is the norm...
Enjoy the rain while it lasts as this is all you'll see apart from the odd summer storm.
Love it on the weekends I suspect, hate it on the weekdays! I HATE sweating into my suit....

I'm off to Concorde CA at the end of next week so I reckon that's bound to be hot...
Old May 10th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

You get very used to it. You will learn the art of changing into your work wear at work! No normally it's still bearable in the morning, and by the evening you don't care about your suit anyway
Old May 12th 2008, 8:07 am
Just Joined

shuv78 is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are making me really jealous. Although the weather in the UK is beautiful at the moment its nothing to how it sounds out there!
Old May 12th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately you will be in for the worst of it soon after arrival, from December to about mid-March it will not be more than 25 degrees F, which is -4 C. We will even get some weeks where it is below 0 F, with windchill it can get to -30 F or more. And the snow - never more than a foot but this winter it went on for ages, we even had some a couple of weeks ago. The roads split because of the extreme temperatures and your car gets knackered from all the potholes (mine's had new front AND rear suspension on this winter).
But then summer comes around and it's awesome...