Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rental properties - what is needed?

Rental properties - what is needed?

Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

shuv78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rental properties - what is needed?

I am going on assignment to Chicago in June/July time with work for around 3 years and looking for rental properties. Can anyone advise me on what I need to be able to rent a property in the US? ie references, etc.

I own in the UK so don't have a landlord to provide a reference from the UK.

Any other advice or good websites to surf would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental properties - what is needed?

This is what I needed to get my place in NYC...

- Letter from US employer showing salary as well as bonus history

- UK Bank statements from the previous three months

- US bank statement showing funds available (this was just a printout from the internet banking, not an actual statement)

- Pay stubs from my employer for the past 6 months.

- Photocopy of passport, and well as photocopy of valid Visa.

- Reference letter from current landlord in London

- Printout of credit report from the main UK credit agency, Equifax*

- Tax return (if you have one)

*This was my idea...credit history cannot be transferred so a UK credit report isnt much use but the broker said that it wouldnt hurt....

Be prepared to pay extra security deposit as well. I had to pay 2 months rent as a deposit + 1st months rent + broker fee so it cost the best part of $15k just to move in! We looked at one great place, but the landlord wanted 6 months rent just as a security deposit! Not 6 months rent upfront which I could at least understand....6 months rent DEPOSIT + 1st months rent!!

I dont know what the situation is like in Chicago or if a broker is required or if the the fee's are as high. Hopefully with it being the midwest the landlords are nicer, not like these wankers in NYC...although in my experience, landlords the world over are usually vile people. Good luck, it's not that hard to rent somewhere as long as you can show solid employment credentials.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:07 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we have rented 2 houses through a realtor since we have been here. we have had to show a letter stating US salary from the employer and that was about it. does depend on if you use a broker or whatever.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the Chicago area, our last place was downtown. Since we didn't have our social security numbers yet my husband's employers had to co-sign the lease. Other than that all we had to do was fill out an application form, which was basically to do a credit check (employers co-sign was because they can't do a credit check without an ssn).
There are lots of apartment buildings in the area which basically work on the same principle. If you have a co-signor you usually don't need to give a deposit either, and even if you don't they usually only want deposits from low-earners who they think are more likely to skip out on the rent.
A private landlord may want a deposit but it won't normally be more than a month or two. They are sometimes more nervous about renting to someone with no credit history but then again can also be more relaxed about it. It just depends on the individual.
You won't need a broker, just look on www.rent.com, if you have an idea of which area you want that will narrow it considerably. People also regularly rent through www.craigslist.org here with no problems.
We used to live at www.centurytowerleasing.com and it was perfect for downtown. A 6 block walk to work was amazing!
If you are going to be working in the suburbs you might prefer to live out of the city of course!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:24 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
This is what I needed to get my place in NYC....
Good grief... atleast you didn't have to provide a proctologist's report - you lucky, lucky b'stard.... landlord's pet.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:32 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

places which were built 1978 and prior, you are to be given a lead based paint disclosure (if not, hold that over their heads with their dealings!). Popcorn ceilings of certain era could contain levels of asbestos (as well as other things too).
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It depends if you rent privately or through an agency etc.

Private would be easier most likely, deposit, first and last month on top should do it. If through an agency, they'll probably want a credit check which would be a hassle as you won't have any US history, but a letter from employer stating your salary would help.

craigslist, facebook and local papers would be a good place to look for a place as well as local realtors I suppose.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:15 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
It depends if you rent privately or through an agency etc.

Private would be easier most likely, deposit, first and last month on top should do it. If through an agency, they'll probably want a credit check which would be a hassle as you won't have any US history, but a letter from employer stating your salary would help.

craigslist, facebook and local papers would be a good place to look for a place as well as local realtors I suppose.
I just moved to Chicago in the same situation - a 2 year placement. I found my apt within a couple of days of arriving here.

I had a realtor help me by spending a full day with me a few months before I moved here, looking at areas, and again spending a full day with me when I arrived looking at available properties and choosing one. She did all the work for me, calling ahead to make sure that people would accept me without an SS number and credit history.

I had choices to rent from an apartment block or a private landlord. I rented from a private landlord in the end and they are very flexible over the social security/credit requirements. I gave a letter showing a good salary from my work, a month's deposit and we were good to go.

Some of the apt complexes required information to do an international credit check, some flat out refused without a social security number (I would recommend applying for that AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!) and others were as leniant as the private landlords. Like I said, if you get a realtor she can do all the sorting out for you to save you the hassles. Just make sure she knows that is needed!

If you would like me to put my realtor in touch with you, please PM me your details - I found her extremely helpful and friendly (and of course, free to me!) and I would recommend her at the drop of a hat.

Incidentally, I am now in a 2 bed apt, 20 mins from Downtown, which I love in a safe, quiet neighborhood which I adore, which was within my budget. Can't go wrong really!
Old May 1st 2008, 3:18 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Incidentally, where will you be working? I am downtown on Jackson Blvd and would be happy to meet for a beer if you wanted to chat anything through or even, once you arrive, if you just need some company. I know how that feels.....
Old May 1st 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

On Madison myself, waving at you right now!
My immigration attorney is at 200 W Jackson actually.
Old May 1st 2008, 5:55 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

I'm at 175 - shout on your way past next time! Lived on Madison for March (Presidential Towers, Madison & Jefferson)
Old May 1st 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's my helicopter outside disturbing the peace...

(Bloody immigrants...!)

My office looks right into PT (OK guess where I work!)
Old May 1st 2008, 6:00 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
That's my helicopter outside disturbing the peace...

(Bloody immigrants...!)

My office looks right into PT (OK guess where I work!)
Sadly, I have no clue. I was on the fourth floor and my view was of the car park.. delightful :s

I remember seeing a Dominicks? and a couple of car parks? Are you one of them who sits in the booth in a big waterproof coat, taking money? Or are you a taxi driver? I saw a taxi stand....

That's it I am afraid! I've only been here a month, gimme chance to work out where things are
Old May 1st 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm at the old ABN AMRO building.
I can see right into a lot of the apartments from up here on 22. Lucky for you not the 4th!
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough

My wife and I have rented a house in San Francisco with no jobs and basically just a bank statement with a balance of more than 12 months rent and 2 months deposit. We also have a written landlord reference from our last house in the UK.

We did both have SSNs though. I think if you don't go through an agent they aren't as stringent about things like credit checks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.