British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing British Passport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-british-passport-524654/)

ukelaine Apr 18th 2008 8:48 pm

Re: Renewing British Passport?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6175796)
Well it's gone sent the passport this afternoon missed the over night pick up so it goes tomorrow, sent it from the PO.

So now I have no passport and no green card I feel a bit lost wonder which one will come back 1st :huh:

How did you send it Certified ? Registered ? Need a Signature ?

Think I'm finally ready to go.

frrussre Apr 18th 2008 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ukelaine (Post 6230059)

Certified USPS, proof of signature. or Fedex UPS etc. I would never send regular mail.
Reg. Frank R.

Ray Apr 18th 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 6230116)
Certified USPS, proof of signature. or Fedex UPS etc. I would never send regular mail.
Reg. Frank R.

Prority Mail + sig ... USPS even provide the envelope

frrussre Apr 18th 2008 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6230128)
Prority Mail + sig ... USPS even provide the envelope

spot on Ray.

Poppy girl Apr 18th 2008 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by ukelaine (Post 6230059)

I sent it overnight USPS and a signature was requested it cost $16.25 :D

Poppy girl Apr 24th 2008 9:43 pm

OK Guys here's the run down

1. Its not delivered by fedex it comes USPS.

2.I requested a name change and they actually give you a new passport which says at the back "this passport replaces number *********valid until**-**-2012 which means that I have to carry the old one and the new because the GC stamp is in the old one.
3.Charged $220 but its new and only for 5 years well nearly 5.

Hope that answers some more queries for you :)

Yes Jersey it arrived :thumbsup:

aceastwood Apr 26th 2008 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6261901)
2.I requested a name change and they actually give you a new passport which says at the back "this passport replaces number *********valid until**-**-2012 which means that I have to carry the old one and the new because the GC stamp is in the old one.

I keep seeing reference to a GC stamp. What is this? I am guessing GC = Green Card. I have a green card but there is no related stamp in my passport.

Ray Apr 26th 2008 3:45 am

Originally Posted by aceastwood (Post 6267495)
I keep seeing reference to a GC stamp. What is this? I am guessing GC = Green Card. I have a green card but there is no related stamp in my passport.

Depending on how you got your card ..

sonetimes it take a while for a card to arrive
so the office may stamp with the I-551 stamp temporarily

like this

http://ladysun1969.tripod.com/sitebu...ctures/551.jpg

Poppy girl Apr 26th 2008 4:24 am

Yes it means a greencard and in my case I had to get the stamp in my passport as I had not recieved my green card from my recent approval,and needed to go home to the UK for the hol's.....then my card arrived with the last name spelt wrong so it had to go back to be changed hense myself having to carry 2 passports..:)

Jerseygirl Apr 26th 2008 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6261901)
OK Guys here's the run down

1. Its not delivered by fedex it comes USPS.

3.Charged $220 but its new and only for 5 years well nearly 5.

Hope that answers some more queries for you :)

Yes Jersey it arrived :thumbsup:

Phew...bet you breathed a sigh of relief. :)

$220...they should have issued a 10 yr PP for that amount!!

Poppy girl Apr 26th 2008 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6268714)
Phew...bet you breathed a sigh of relief. :)

$220...they should have issued a 10 yr PP for that amount!!

I guess, the 10 years is $260 I sent the blank payment form for them to fill out and thats what they charged me but thats not a problem just get another in 5 years might get married again and have to change it by then lol ;)

AJ_ExPat Jun 12th 2008 2:02 am

Evening,

I just received my new passport and thought it would be helpful to share my experience...

1) Honestly, the process was relatively painless (excluding the fee)
2) I completed the C1 form, which I obtained from: www.britainusa.com/consular/C1Form04.pdf
3) I went to a local AAA office (www.aaa.com), had my US sized passport photo taken for free (I'm a member), and then asked the attendant not to trim the photo. I brought the pictures home and with laser like precision (cough, cough) I trimmed them down to 45mm x 35mm
4) Fortunately I have a mate in the US and he countersigned the passport photo and the C1 form. (Note, my mate is not lawyer, doctor, government representative, etc. -- simply a business consultant. Thus, do not worry about the title of the countersignatory.)
5) The only personal documentation I included was my expired passport (my passport had been expired for ~6 weeks)
6) With great resistance I completed the credit card form and watched 265 USD vaporise from my portefeuille (http://www.britainusa.com/consular/e...5&Other_ID=237)
7) I sent the entire package via USPS express mail with signature guarantee
8) Three weeks later I had my new passport (UPS was the courrier)

Cheers!

AJEastwood Jul 20th 2008 11:33 pm

I have two GC stamps. One from when my permanent resident status was confirmed, and then from when my two year 'probation' period was up, after which a ten year green card was issued.

The wording in the passport GC stamp is as follows:
Processed for I-551
temporary evidence of
lawful admission for
permanent residence.
Valid until Month Date, Year
Employment Authorized.

These stamps are dated 2003 and 2005

Procedures may have been different if you received your green card before the 2001 WTC atrocities and could well, perhaps have, changed more recently.

And... I am just about to apply for a new passport as my expires in October. I think I have the hang of all the forms and photos, where it has to go, payment methods, photo guidelines etc. If anyone has been caught out by ambiguity in the forms or guidelines, I would be grateful for warnings.

denzil75 Jul 21st 2008 8:19 am

Originally Posted by AJEastwood (Post 6592631)
I have two GC stamps. One from when my permanent resident status was confirmed, and then from when my two year 'probation' period was up, after which a ten year green card was issued.

The wording in the passport GC stamp is as follows:
Processed for I-551
temporary evidence of
lawful admission for
permanent residence.
Valid until Month Date, Year
Employment Authorized.

These stamps are dated 2003 and 2005

Procedures may have been different if you received your green card before the 2001 WTC atrocities and could well, perhaps have, changed more recently.

And... I am just about to apply for a new passport as my expires in October. I think I have the hang of all the forms and photos, where it has to go, payment methods, photo guidelines etc. If anyone has been caught out by ambiguity in the forms or guidelines, I would be grateful for warnings.

The only thing I would say is allow more than enough time for them to process the application. We sent off for my son's passport about 4/5 weeks before our trip to the UK, stated the date of travel, the application was received and processed, fee taken from the credit card, but the passport still didn't arrive for another 2 weeks after that and 5 days AFTER our date of travel to the UK. Luckily my son is a dual citizen so he was able to travel on his US passport. Just a word of warning for you all! Although maybe I did my usual trick of leaving things a little too late, but I was still in the 3 week window!