British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing British Passport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-british-passport-524654/)

Ray Apr 6th 2008 6:59 pm

Re: Renewing British Passport?

Originally Posted by ukelaine (Post 6168997)
I have no idea where my FULL birth certificate is and sending off for one will delay this even further. The site gives a phone number, but, the help line has been contracted out to a private company and costs US about $3 a MINUTE to call them, all I need is for them to put me on hold !! LOL

Elaine

There must be an alternatve to their list ..there must be lots in your position ....will have to be the phone call I'm afraid ...

Ray Apr 6th 2008 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6169006)
Because there was no need to I used my Green Card and took my marriage cert with me but I keep getting hassle when I go back to the UK at the airports...I have no other use for a british passport in the US except to leave the place.

So go for the new passport thats the price sorted ...

mumof4 Apr 6th 2008 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by ukelaine (Post 6169015)
Postman ???

Barber ??

Dentist ??

UPS man ?

Bookie !! LOL

Dry Cleaner ?

All professional :)

Don't you have a neighbour who's a teacher or something similar???
Good Luck!

Jan Alaska Apr 6th 2008 7:46 pm

pizza delivery boy ?

hmmm ... who just happens to be a firefighter too ... hmmmmm may be onto something there

Jan

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6169034)
So go for the new passport thats the price sorted ...

But I want the one with my GC stamp in.

Ray Apr 6th 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6169525)
But I want the one with my GC stamp in.

You can't have it ...

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2008 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6169578)
You can't have it ...

What do you mean I can't have it!!

Ray Apr 6th 2008 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6169586)
What do you mean I can't have it!!

I have a consular decision on their behalf ...that $265 please

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2008 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6169592)
I have a consular decision on their behalf ...that $265 please

You bugger..

Ray Apr 6th 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6169595)
You bugger..

I dont think they just change the name I think its a whole new passport

You just have to carry both

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2008 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6169604)
I dont think they just change the name I think its a whole new passport

You just have to carry both

Now that's what I thought after reading it again...BUT why have a charge for a change, and a separate charge for a new it does not make sense.!!

Elvira Apr 6th 2008 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by ukelaine (Post 6168997)
.........I have no idea where my FULL birth certificate is and sending off for one will delay this even further. The site gives a phone number, but, the help line has been contracted out to a private company and costs US about $3 a MINUTE to call them, all I need is for them to put me on hold !! LOL

Elaine

Call the office of the recorder of births, deaths and marriages in the county/borough where you were born and request it from them. I did this for my sons, paid by CC and the certificates arrives within the week.

Jerseygirl Apr 7th 2008 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6168993)
My room-mate is Notary but it was suggested to me that it was not possible to use a US notary for a british passport as it would not be recognised!!

The sheriff lives next door.

I had this problem recently when buying a UK property. It was requested my PP details were notorised. I got it notorised but this was not recognised in the UK. In the UK a notary is a practising solicitor with a law degree. This does not equate to the qualifications of a notary in the US.

JAJ Apr 7th 2008 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6170514)
I had this problem recently when buying a UK property. It was requested my PP details were notorised. I got it notorised but this was not recognised in the UK. In the UK a notary is a practising solicitor with a law degree. This does not equate to the qualifications of a notary in the US.

Practising solicitors in the U.K. are automatically commissioners for oaths (and capable to certify documents as true copies), but that is not the same as a notary.

Poppy girl Apr 8th 2008 1:06 am

Well it's gone sent the passport this afternoon missed the over night pick up so it goes tomorrow, sent it from the PO.

So now I have no passport and no green card I feel a bit lost wonder which one will come back 1st :huh: