Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport?

Renewing British Passport?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

mumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud of
Default Renewing British Passport?

I need to renew my son's UK passport. Does anyone have any advice for getting a countersignatory when we've only been here (the USA) less than a year? I see it says they don't have to be British, but they do have to have known you for 2 years....any ideas? Also does anyone know if it's a renewal you just send in the old passport, nothing else, right?
thanks
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport?

Hi
I'd just blag it !! Find a friend who'll put there name to it and cross your fingers...a local teacher or doctor if poss, although we used our next door neighbor.
What you have to send in will be on the application form....I can't remember as it was a couple of years ago. It didn't take long to get it back though. The pain being that because the kids visas were in their old passports we had to carry both the new and the old when travelling
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

mumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud of

Ah visas, mine are joint American citizens...does that mean I have to send in his American Passport? Sorry to ask on here, but the usual british notes had my head spinnning, or maybe it's just everything else we're dealing with at the moment...... then again it was nice to be reading plain English again!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the US passport, but I wouldn't think you'd need to send it in as it's nothing to do with the UK whether they have one or not...maybe there's a phone number you can call to ask ? All this paper work...a real pain in the backside !
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

don't even need to bother if your photo hasn't significantly changed all that much since the last passport...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof4
Ah visas, mine are joint American citizens...does that mean I have to send in his American Passport? Sorry to ask on here, but the usual british notes had my head spinnning, or maybe it's just everything else we're dealing with at the moment...... then again it was nice to be reading plain English again!!
No you wouldn't. The UK government couldn't care less.

And they could just use US passport if trips back to blighty were only for holidays.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:20 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was a tough one when i renewed my UK passport. Luckily my doctor was willing to sign it, even though I hadn't seen her in a year. And luckily I had been here long enough for it to count.

I agree with Lisa....I'd try to blag it too. although to be fair you should explain the rules to the person
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
don't even need to bother if your photo hasn't significantly changed all that much since the last passport...
Thanks, but I did say it was for my kid....he's changed a little since he was 2 months old! These kids passport pictures are a bit of a joke - he didn't really look like his photo by the time he was 2years old!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I did say it was for my kid....he's changed a little since he was 2 months old! These kids passport pictures are a bit of a joke - he didn't really look like his photo by the time he was 2years old!
Just get the photos signed by a doctor or teacher, and explain in a letter. I'm sure your situation is not unusual.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

So anyone know where I can get UK passport photos done? Everywhere seems to only do standard size 2 * 2 and the website says you need 45mm by 35 mm exactly which is less than 2 by 2 inches.... Kinkos and walgreens both said they can't do it, any ideas?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:18 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh renewed his after 6 months of being here, just got the local doc to sign it and date it 2 years. was no problem, went straight through.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So anyone know where I can get UK passport photos done? Everywhere seems to only do standard size 2 * 2 and the website says you need 45mm by 35 mm exactly which is less than 2 by 2 inches.... Kinkos and walgreens both said they can't do it, any ideas?
get your camera out

http://www.epassportphoto.com/
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:18 pm
Aja
Just Joined

Aja is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that the "Picture People" do a great job on UK passport photos for about $8
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
get your camera out

http://www.epassportphoto.com/
Thanks Ray, I hadn't found this one it looks easy enough!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think Walgreens did my kids and I just cut them down....the photos, not the kids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.