Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

renew passport

renew passport

Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:07 pm
  #1  
staying around
Thread Starter
 
candy wy.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: In peace
Posts: 2,328
candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default renew passport

this has probably been asked before but i did a search and can't find an answer. i want to change the name on my passport but it requires someone to sign my form saying that it is me and all that s***. i don't know anyone over here able to sign the form that has known me for i think its two years. what have others done in this situation?
candy wy. is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:27 pm
  #2  
Not living a 9 to 5 life
 
NC Penguin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,061
NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew passport

Originally posted by candy wy.
this has probably been asked before but i did a search and can't find an answer. i want to change the name on my passport but it requires someone to sign my form saying that it is me and all that s***. i don't know anyone over here able to sign the form that has known me for i think its two years. what have others done in this situation?
Candy,

When I rang the British Embassy in DC a couple of weeks back (see http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=214606), I asked questions about renewing my passport.

I haven't lived in the US for two years and I wanted to renew my passport.

I was told by the helpful man on the other end of the phone that the it about getting photos countersigned is only necessary for those applying for their first passport.

However, in your case, is the name change due to marriage?

If so, this is what happened to me (when I was still living in the UK). I changed my passport from my maiden name to my married name. The photos sent with the application did require a countersignature (I think I got my doctor to sign. He's a family friend).

So, it sounds like you really need to phone the Embassy for a definitive answer.

As I recall when listening to the prerecorded part of the message on the phone number, whilst on hold, the best day to call is Wed-Fri but they only take calls up to 4.15pm (I think). You'll find out when you call them.

Please post once you have the answer. It'd be helpful for others to know.
NC Penguin is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:34 pm
  #3  
staying around
Thread Starter
 
candy wy.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: In peace
Posts: 2,328
candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew passport

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Candy,

When I rang the British Embassy in DC a couple of weeks back (see http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=214606), I asked questions about renewing my passport.

I haven't lived in the US for two years and I wanted to renew my passport.

I was told by the helpful man on the other end of the phone that the it about getting photos countersigned is only necessary for those applying for their first passport.

However, in your case, is the name change due to marriage?

If so, this is what happened to me (when I was still living in the UK). I changed my passport from my maiden name to my married name. The photos sent with the application did require a countersignature (I think I got my doctor to sign. He's a family friend).

So, it sounds like you really need to phone the Embassy for a definitive answer.

As I recall when listening to the prerecorded part of the message on the phone number, whilst on hold, the best day to call is Wed-Fri but they only take calls up to 4.15pm (I think). You'll find out when you call them.

Please post once you have the answer. It'd be helpful for others to know.
thanks for the reply yes it is name change because of marriage. i will try calling tomorrow and see what they say.
candy wy. is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:36 pm
  #4  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,718
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew passport

Originally posted by candy wy.
thanks for the reply yes it is name change because of marriage. i will try calling tomorrow and see what they say.

Also send in an original marriage certificate along with your birth certificate, so they can see how your name changed. I sent in a countersigned photo (perhaps didn't read the instructions properly) and they thoughtfully returned it to me! They kept my son's, however, and it was his first passport.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:47 pm
  #5  
staying around
Thread Starter
 
candy wy.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: In peace
Posts: 2,328
candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew passport

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Also send in an original marriage certificate along with your birth certificate, so they can see how your name changed. I sent in a countersigned photo (perhaps didn't read the instructions properly) and they thoughtfully returned it to me! They kept my son's, however, and it was his first passport.

did you get a new passport or was it just amended with your name change?
candy wy. is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:51 pm
  #6  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,718
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew passport

Originally posted by candy wy.
did you get a new passport or was it just amended with your name change?

Both. Which is to say my old one had expired a couple of years ago, and it carried my old name. So it wasn't my first passport, by any means, but the name was completely different. My son, who was born here and claims British Citizenship through me, got his very first passport, and they did keep his countersigned photo. The strange thing is though, that for my previous passport, also renewed in the U.S., they asked for the signed photo and kept it, so things may have changed. Best to ask.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 9th 2004 at 6:54 pm.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:59 pm
  #7  
staying around
Thread Starter
 
candy wy.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: In peace
Posts: 2,328
candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew passport

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Both. Which is to say my old one had expired a couple of years ago, and it carried my old name. So it wasn't my first passport, by any means, but the name was completely different. My son, who was born here and claims British Citizenship through me, got his very first passport, and they did keep his countersigned photo. The strange thing is though, that for my previous passport, also renewed in the U.S., they asked for the signed photo and kept it, so things may have changed. Best to ask.

ok thanks for that. a phone call tomorrow it is then.
candy wy. is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.