Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation questions

Relocation questions

Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation questions

Originally Posted by lisa67
FWIW i'd make sure his contract includes some sort of deal regarding returning your stuff to the uk too
My OH moved over here before me and the kids...the kids were so excited about seeing him after 2 months without him that they behaved really well on the flight (they were 3 and 5 at the time) and the cabin crew were great with them
I am liking the thought of that! Mine will be 4 and 6! They both love flying and on previous flights have either sat and looked out window or slept or watched cartoons. Here's hoping!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYCbound
Thanks
You're the 2nd person to mention the T word, will we still be liable for it even though the company pays directly and we don't handle any of it?
Any expense they pay that is not tax-deductible as a moving expense will count as income to you and be taxable even if your employer pays the expense. Typically, the two things that are deductible are the cost of moving household goods and the travel costs of moving.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, maybe I should offer a Mum's Moving service to help you poor souls make it over here! I can tote a lot of bags....

There should be no issue with traveling in/out of the US on the L-1 visa. It's also OK if he moves over to the US in advance of the L-2s.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Any expense they pay that is not tax-deductible as a moving expense will count as income to you and be taxable even if your employer pays the expense.
I second this, we didn't handle any of our costs they were all paid directly by the company. We weren't aware of the tax implications until we filed our tax return and got hit with a huge bill. Ouch
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Any expense they pay that is not tax-deductible as a moving expense will count as income to you and be taxable even if your employer pays the expense. Typically, the two things that are deductible are the cost of moving household goods and the travel costs of moving.
Ahhh poosticks.
Ok, well at least we now know in advance, thanks.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
I am liking the thought of that! Mine will be 4 and 6! They both love flying and on previous flights have either sat and looked out window or slept or watched cartoons. Here's hoping!
You're so lucky! My kids are 7, 6 and 2. I'm not saying they are bad kids more that I'm an impatient Mum. I want to look out of the window, sleep and watch cartoons
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

You're so lucky! My kids are 7, 6 and 2. I'm not saying they are bad kids more that I'm an impatient Mum. I want to look out of the window, sleep and watch cartoons
Also bribery is a wonderful thing! Does that make me a bad parent?!
We fly out on a vacation at weekend and kids have been promised stuff if they behave on flight. Son thinks flying is best part of holiday(!) whilst daughter enjoys sleeping in hotels!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

So after a few delays in top bods at DH's US office signing forms (how dare they go on holiday) our relocation package has been signed off and their immigration peeps are now taking care of the Visas. They said this will take up to 8 weeks, but are trying to hurry things along (I'm aware that it could take longer if there are any issues)

I have a few questions based on other's experiences if that's ok?

Is a relocation package of $75k reasonable, they have broken it down into $ for this and $ for that, but we can take from one pot to feed another apparently. It sounds good afaik but wouldn't want to be short changed! They are being a bit slow in letting us know what that covers, only that they've estimated it will cost that much to take us over. Need to find out if this includes relevant costs to apply for Green Card aswell or that's separate (which they have said they will do as this isn't intending to be a short term move, DH is a manager in a Multinational)

They have put a company called Plus Relocation in charge of us, anyone have any experience of them?

We were supposed to be moving by September which is laughable really, as we've still got to fit in a trip to New Jersey to scout areas. Anyway, is there any reason why my Husband can't go over there before us (when the Visas are issued) set up home there and sort that side out then come back and get us? Apart from the obvious issue of me having to do the packing etc all here by myself with three kids. There's no visa stipulation that we have to all go together initially is there? He would have to come back and fly with me anyway as I'm buggered if I'm doing a 7.5 hr flight with three kids alone.
Is there any reason he can't fly in and out on his L1 Visa (which his company will be expecting him to do as his business commitments extend to Europe/Middle East)

Also, I've been reading (lurking hideously) on these boards for a while now and hope to be more a part of it now the ball is properly moving
Thanks
Hi NYC bound

Well done on getting the package. Is it too late to get the company to agree that the package is tax free?. Hubby is in with his company discussing the package as we speak so waiting patiently on the end of Skype to see what has happened. But that has been one of our stimpulations. Like yourself, i am not quiting my job (potentially) and moving the children out of school/nursery if we are out of pocket. Havent decided about the flight bit yet, but am also an impatient mum (definately in the right job as a project manager i think) but have done the flight with just my son 3 years ago and i know i cant do it with the 2 of them so hubby WILL be travelling with us ha ha.
Listen good luck with it all and keep in touch yeah. We are looking at October for our move.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Also bribery is a wonderful thing! Does that make me a bad parent?!
We fly out on a vacation at weekend and kids have been promised stuff if they behave on flight. Son thinks flying is best part of holiday(!) whilst daughter enjoys sleeping in hotels!
Makes you a normal Mum in my book.
We are off to France in a few weeks for a break (superb timing), not so much of a practise flight seeing as it's only an hour and a bit!
Enjoy your holiday, where you off to?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Makes you a normal Mum in my book.
We are off to France in a few weeks for a break (superb timing), not so much of a practise flight seeing as it's only an hour and a bit!
Enjoy your holiday, where you off to?
Majorca. Looking forward to sun, sea, sand and in-laws taking kids of my hands for a while! Enjoy France.
I have not told my kids yet about their impending move Stateside. Not sure the best way to tell them as they are a bit young. You told yours or waiting till everything is finalised?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buckers
Hi NYC bound

Well done on getting the package. Is it too late to get the company to agree that the package is tax free?. Hubby is in with his company discussing the package as we speak so waiting patiently on the end of Skype to see what has happened. But that has been one of our stimpulations. Like yourself, i am not quiting my job (potentially) and moving the children out of school/nursery if we are out of pocket. Havent decided about the flight bit yet, but am also an impatient mum (definately in the right job as a project manager i think) but have done the flight with just my son 3 years ago and i know i cant do it with the 2 of them so hubby WILL be travelling with us ha ha.
Listen good luck with it all and keep in touch yeah. We are looking at October for our move.
Good luck to you too.
I'm taking nothing for granted, we have friends (she posts here) who have been waiting on their visas for months an months, different situation for her, but I'm not doing ANYTHING in terms of schools/notice on the house until those are firmly in our hands.
As nothing is in writing yet, that we have seen, then I suppose there is still room for discussion If they want him there that badly then they are going have to make it worth MY while

Hope you hear Skyped news soon.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Majorca. Looking forward to sun, sea, sand and in-laws taking kids of my hands for a while! Enjoy France.
I have not told my kids yet about their impending move Stateside. Not sure the best way to tell them as they are a bit young. You told yours or waiting till everything is finalised?
Nice, sun, it's been lacking here this past week, after our mini heatwave hasn't it!

We have told them, my daughter (7) was earwigging conversations and was worried something was up, so we told them, my son promptly told everyone including strangers on the street. It was funny, I had a call from his Headmistress asking if it was true about 2hrs into school the following day! So the school are aware, but their places are still there in Sept. They are excited, which is good.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Good luck to you too.
I'm taking nothing for granted, we have friends (she posts here) who have been waiting on their visas for months an months, different situation for her, but I'm not doing ANYTHING in terms of schools/notice on the house until those are firmly in our hands.
As nothing is in writing yet, that we have seen, then I suppose there is still room for discussion If they want him there that badly then they are going have to make it worth MY while

Hope you hear Skyped news soon.
Dont blame you. Its such a big thing, we havent put our house on the rental market yet, but have had the estate agents round to give their estimations. My only concern is whether it will have a tenant before we go. We are hoping to get over to the US next month to try and find a property to rent and also sort out the school for my son but no-one has any idea yet and it has been killing me as i just cant keep secrets. Just had the dogs vaccinations sorted just in case as she needed them all in plenty of time but also need to sort out the vaccinations for my son (6) for school and my daughter for nursery if i can carry my job over to the US aswell but again not pumping them full of drugs unless we are going. Go on holiday on Friday when the children break up and i just cant wait, hope hubby's flight gets back in on time or he can meet us there ha ha. Keep smiling though it will all come together in the end and will be worth it!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buckers
Dont blame you. Its such a big thing, we havent put our house on the rental market yet, but have had the estate agents round to give their estimations. My only concern is whether it will have a tenant before we go. We are hoping to get over to the US next month to try and find a property to rent and also sort out the school for my son but no-one has any idea yet and it has been killing me as i just cant keep secrets. Just had the dogs vaccinations sorted just in case as she needed them all in plenty of time but also need to sort out the vaccinations for my son (6) for school and my daughter for nursery if i can carry my job over to the US aswell but again not pumping them full of drugs unless we are going. Go on holiday on Friday when the children break up and i just cant wait, hope hubby's flight gets back in on time or he can meet us there ha ha. Keep smiling though it will all come together in the end and will be worth it!!
Mines over there at the moment too, some big conference in New Orleans or something!
With you on the vaccination front, not doing it unless it's completely necessary.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mines over there at the moment too, some big conference in New Orleans or something!
With you on the vaccination front, not doing it unless it's completely necessary.
How have you got on with trying to work out comparitable living etc. I have had a poke around (lurking on websites) and found some info on the difference in cost of living etc as we need to work it on 1 wage just incase i cant transfer over with my company.......luckily both mine and hubbies companies work in the same location (give or take 10 miles). Oh meant to ask, you mentioned lawyers in your original post........without prying is that for buying a property??? Havent thought about the need for lawyers in it all.......is it a requirement do you think?

SarahG, with you on the bribery. I have been to Sainsburys and Asda this week finding things for the flight, gave the children a quick peek (evil mother ha ha) and told them they could only have them if they were good. Needless to say the children have been best behaviour this last day or so ha ha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.