Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Query

Relocation Query

Old May 1st 2007, 12:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Query

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
Hi the Amex is mine as I have usually worked for US companies who do not seem to give corporate cards as in UK, I finance myself and then claim back so in eyes of Amex its me, spend is at least $70k a year.
My wife is accompanying me and my daughter who will be just 10. We need and do run two cars here and two lots of insurance etc etc.
My wife works part time and cannot work in USA this is offset by the fact my daughter is in fee paying school here and will not likely be in the States.
Our house cost in UK is covered for two years as we have let the house to MOD for two years and this covers mortgage and then a wee bit on top.
I do not expect to be loaded at all just comfortable, comfortable and compensated by new experience.
$130K might not go so far since you have two family members to support. You will certainly need two vehicles and insurance.

I find it kinda odd that the US employer does not give you a corporate Amex. I know both Brits and Americans working in the same company being given corporate Amexs for business use. Most of these were consultants who traveled a lot too.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:15 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
$130K might not go so far since you have two family members to support. You will certainly need two vehicles and insurance.

I find it kinda odd that the US employer does not give you a corporate Amex. I know both Brits and Americans working in the same company being given corporate Amexs for business use. Most of these were consultants who traveled a lot too.
As I said I am not expecting a huge hike in living standard it will be comparable I think we have here combined salary off $129k as I said before for me the costs overall will be similar the house however for example will not be at $1kk for 1200 sq ft we have UK if you go suburbs Minneapolis a decent house can be had double that size for $375k.
I will get no protests from wife as she gets to not work something we could never have contemplated in UK.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

A family of four can live quite nicely on $130,000 per annum before taxes even in the greater New York area. Even here two vehicles (not SUV, Caddies or Lexus') with insurance only runs us under $9,000 a year and that is car loans and insurance with one accident.

So you don't buy the brand new McMansion with 4,000 sq. ft. of useless space that has to be filled with new furniture. Instead purchase a nice older 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with established landscaping for a fraction of the cost and live without having to be eyeball to eyeball with your neighbors and still have over 2,200 sq. ft. of living space.

As for the Amex, I work in the legal profession, my b-i-l is in IT and neither give company Amexs. You pay your expenses and submit the bill for reimbursement. Perks aren't what they use to be, at least not in out experience. But then we are just the "lower" end of the spectrum on the living scale.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to mention is that we found Amex to be a not readily excepted card. i think you said you were keeping house in Uk? if so wise move

Also check out the procedure for buying a car in the state you will be living in, such as can you buy/lease without a USA driving lisence as we found this one very tricky, and had to hire a car for several weeks which soon mounts up in cash.

Hope it works out for you.