Relocation package query

Relocation package query

Old Jun 7th 2018, 5:12 am
Just Joined

gtkeeno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation package query

Hi,

following on from my previous post - Potential move from UK to New Jersey

I have now been informed that the company would sponsor me on an E3B (skilled worker) visa and would also pay for the associate (E34/E35) visas for my family - A wife and 6 yr old daughter. The company is a large well established global financial services company that has been through this process many times and they are confident that there should not be any issues getting this visa approved.... eventually... as I understand there is a backlog of several months for this visa.

As it was me who initiated the potential move to New Jersey my expectations for a relocation package are somewhat lower than if the company specifically asked me to relocate. I was hoping someone may be able to advise on what I can realistically ask for / expect ? - maybe someone has been through a similar experience ?

From my research I am thinking a figure of around $20k would be required to get up and running, this would include flights, rental deposit, potential car purchase, furniture, car insurance etc. I would also hope that the company has some sort of relocation department/team that would be able to offer advice on housing, schools etc. Whether the majority of the $$$ has to come from me or the company will almost certainly determine whether to make the move or not.

Also how much does a good US accountant cost? as I am quite certain that I will need qualified expertise when having to do a tax return.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2018, 5:58 am
Just Joined

AK365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocation package query

Not sure, if you ever got response to your questions. I think you will be coming to US on H1-B visas and usually it take quite sometime to get your visa and then getting it stamped. I don't have any experience about UK, However, I have lived in NJ for 20 Year and once worked near Hanover. NJ is fairly quite and small state and it relatively expensive from other states.
Hanover/East Hanover/ Florham park, Whippany and morris plains are one of the best neighborhood of NJ. So you shouldn't have any issues with school. However, keep in a mind public transport is pretty bad in NJ so you going to need a car probably two cars.

NYC is not 30 min away, give or take about 90 min by bus or train. You can drive to city but that would be a mistake. A good 2 bedroom apartment will cost you close to $1800+/Month with month and half security deposit. I think you should ask for $25 minimum for relocation cost, if your thinking to buy a car on cash keep $15 for a decent car. Furniture. You have IKEA near by .
If you want to finance a car which will be difficult for you since your have credit history in US . Well, I will be surprised if they will agree to it. I wish my employer did that
Please let me know if you have any questions and if I can help with anything.

Thanks

You wouldn't need a Accountant rite away, you will file taxes in year 2019 and a good accountant will not cost you more then $300 to file your taxes in US.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

ponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gtkeeno
Also how much does a good US accountant cost? as I am quite certain that I will need qualified expertise when having to do a tax return.

Many Thanks
Hey

My two cents

As said before, you wouldn't need a tax accountant yet till next year. We pay $250 for the task once a year, this accountant got us a $10K rebate, last year we had to pay $8K !!! When you find a good one, hold on to them for life !

We paid the realtor $6K just to open the door to our apartment (we had for a year)
Apartment was 3 months rent up front, but this can be two months up front sometimes.
Car insurance for first year in Brooklyn was $5.5K.... It wasn't a Porsche. Your driving experience starts from year zero when you come to America and my 25+ years driving evaporated. It has dropped significantly in the past 4 years
Shipping from UK cost roughly $7K
Shipping delay cost $1.2K (customs inspected our container and we paid for the privilage) and then $1.4k to buy air mattresses and temporary furniture plates cups etc etc
DC's started school and all the medical certificates counted for nothing that we got pre trip, for the express purpose of school. That cost $800 if you DO NOT have medical set up.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

adamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

following on from my previous post - Potential move from UK to New Jersey

I have now been informed that the company would sponsor me on an E3B (skilled worker) visa and would also pay for the associate (E34/E35) visas for my family - A wife and 6 yr old daughter. The company is a large well established global financial services company that has been through this process many times and they are confident that there should not be any issues getting this visa approved.... eventually... as I understand there is a backlog of several months for this visa.

As it was me who initiated the potential move to New Jersey my expectations for a relocation package are somewhat lower than if the company specifically asked me to relocate. I was hoping someone may be able to advise on what I can realistically ask for / expect ? - maybe someone has been through a similar experience ?

From my research I am thinking a figure of around $20k would be required to get up and running, this would include flights, rental deposit, potential car purchase, furniture, car insurance etc. I would also hope that the company has some sort of relocation department/team that would be able to offer advice on housing, schools etc. Whether the majority of the $$$ has to come from me or the company will almost certainly determine whether to make the move or not.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
I have just got my immigrant visa for EB3 green card issued yesterday, I am in the UK now waiting to relocate to the USA. The whole process took about 18 months from start to end, and I have been lucky since this time frame is actually below average for EB3.

In terms of relocation package, my company is tiny and I will be the only foreign employee, so they will just pay for the flight, but all the rest is up to me.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyo
$1.4k to buy air mattresses and temporary furniture plates cups etc etc
Them's expensive air mattresses.

I moved to the south eastern US in 2001 and similarly, I kind of engineered my move, which compromised my negotiating position to a degree. That said, my employer paid for the relocation (by shipping container) of all of the possessions we chose to take with us. They also paid for return flights ahead of time for my wife and then 19y/o daughter (I was already here at that point) to scope-out living accommodations etc). They then paid for flights for them and our huge German Shepherd - provided 2 cars for our collective use and paid deposits for utilities.

Most helpful (and undoubtedly unusual) was that they provided me with a mortgage facility, which meant I bought my home here from day one, effectively. As soon as I was able (from a creditworthiness perspective - in reality around 18 months in), I refinanced with a conventional mortgage provider, as I was extremely (and increasingly) uncomfortable with my employer having SO much influence in my finances/security. For all of the downside - and potential for nightmare scenarios, it got us off to a flying start.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

From my research I am thinking a figure of around $20k would be required to get up and running, this would include flights, rental deposit, potential car purchase, furniture, car insurance etc.
That seems really low to me for that lot, and nowhere near enough if you're hoping to buy a car (2 cars?) out of it. But this Wiki article may be useful reading - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compa...on_Packages_US

HTH.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

gtkeeno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adamas
I have just got my immigrant visa for EB3 green card issued yesterday, I am in the UK now waiting to relocate to the USA. The whole process took about 18 months from start to end, and I have been lucky since this time frame is actually below average for EB3.

In terms of relocation package, my company is tiny and I will be the only foreign employee, so they will just pay for the flight, but all the rest is up to me.

What is your situation? are you single or have a family? have you set yourself a specific budget?