Reload this Page >

Relocation Package London to Boston - Help and Opinions

Relocation Package London to Boston - Help and Opinions

Old Jul 12th 2013, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

AleGoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation Package London to Boston - Help and Opinions

Hi,

I am new of this forum and I am writing here because I'd like to have your opinions regarding my situation.

I am an Italian, who won the GC lottery last year and I have been living and working for an English company in the last year and half. They are now opening a branch office in the States (Boston) and they offered me a position there as technical manager. Now I am still waiting for them to provide me an offer package along with a relocation package, but in the meantime I am trying to gather as much information as possible to what I should expect from them.

My question is: Should I consider in the whole negotiation the fact that I have a Green Card, making them avoid a lot of hassles for sponsoring me there? If yes, how this should affect the relocation package offered to me?

I honestly don't have experience whatsoever in regard to relocation and I still don't know what they will offer me, but I would much appreciate some opinions from people more experienced than me...

Thanks!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 6:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Package London to Boston - Help and Opinions

Originally Posted by AleGoon
I am an Italian, who won the GC lottery last year and I have been living and working for an English company in the last year and half. They are now opening a branch office in the States (Boston) and they offered me a position there as technical manager.
Hi and Welcome to BE.

I know you're asking more about the relocation offer package, but I have to ask: You won the GC lottery last year, but do you actually have your green card in hand? If you've been working outside the USA for a year and a half, how did you manage to also obtain your green card, and how are you managing to maintain your green card? It sounds as though you have not yet made the USA your permanent home. What ties are you maintaining in the USA?

When you entered the USA using your immigrant visa, and became a US PR, did you then file an I-131 for a re-entry permit, to allow you to be outside the USA for such a long time?

I'm asking, because if you have not maintained ties to the USA during your time away, you may have already abandoned your PR status.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and Welcome to BE.

I know you're asking more about the relocation offer package, but I have to ask: You won the GC lottery last year, but do you actually have your green card in hand? If you've been working outside the USA for a year and a half, how did you manage to also obtain your green card, and how are you managing to maintain your green card? It sounds as though you have not yet made the USA your permanent home. What ties are you maintaining in the USA?

When you entered the USA using your immigrant visa, and became a US PR, did you then file an I-131 for a re-entry permit, to allow you to be outside the USA for such a long time?

I'm asking, because if you have not maintained ties to the USA during your time away, you may have already abandoned your PR status.

Rene
Hi,

I have won the GC last September 2012, and entered the States in November 2012. Since then I have been back to the States twice (in the last 10 months) and I have opened bank account and an address there (a friend of mine, where I can stay when I am there). I didn't need to ask for a re-entry permit as i haven't spent more than one year outside the States.

I am well aware of the risks to lose the GC if I have not intention to live there, and I got lucky having this job offer before November (1 year since the entrance in the States with the GC).
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

My question is: Should I consider in the whole negotiation the fact that I have a Green Card, making them avoid a lot of hassles for sponsoring me there?
Hi, I am not sure what you mean here. If you are a LPR (green card holder), then you are not eligible for a visa, and your company cannot sponsor you. However, you should check if you are in fact still a LPR, as it is possible that you may have abandoned your status if you live in the UK.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't need to ask for a re-entry permit as i haven't spent more than one year outside the States.
You have to ask for the re-entry permit *ahead* of being outside the USA. If you don't get this transfer through work, are you planning to quit and move permanent to the USA soon?

I am well aware of the risks to lose the GC if I have not intention to live there, and I got lucky having this job offer before November (1 year since the entrance in the States with the GC).
OK, as long as you're aware of the risk.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

just to clarify:

I am at the moment a LPR in America and I know that as I have been in America in May.

My company will not sponsor me, but simply fire me from the UK company and hire me (or transfer me) to their branch American company.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:11 pm

My question is: Should I consider in the whole negotiation the fact that I have a Green Card, making them avoid a lot of hassles for sponsoring me there? If yes, how this should affect the relocation package offered to me?
I would definitely let them know that you are a US PR, and that they don't need to do an L-1 visa for you! Otherwise they might start visa paperwork when it isn't necessary.

As to how this affects a relocation package, I imagine it's to the employer's benefit, since they don't have to work out visits "home" (because the USA is your home), and they don't have to work out a re-patriot deal (in case your job in the USA falls through), since at that point you'd just stay in the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

You have to ask for the re-entry permit *ahead* of being outside the USA. If you don't get this transfer through work, are you planning to quit and move permanent to the USA soon?

OK, as long as you're aware of the risk.

Rene
Yes I do intend to move to the States in any case. But I am writing here because I got this opportunity and I would like to be prepared for what to expect from my company offering me a relocation package.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

I would definitely let them know that you are a US PR, and that they don't need to do an L-1 visa for you! Otherwise they might start visa paperwork when it isn't necessary.

As to how this affects a relocation package, I imagine it's to the employer's benefit, since they don't have to work out visits "home" (because the USA is your home), and they don't have to work out a re-patriot deal (in case your job in the USA falls through), since at that point you'd just stay in the USA.

Rene
Sorry If I wasn't clear. Of course My company already know that I have a LPR. This is probably one of the main reasons they had to offer me a job there.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:28 pm

Sorry If I wasn't clear. Of course My company already know that I have a LPR. This is probably one of the main reasons they had to offer me a job there.
Oh, OK. So you're just asking what should be in the relocation package? I would expect there to be an offer letter stating your new title and salary in the USA, I would expect them to cover the cost of shipping your belongings to the USA, and a detailed explanation of health care coverage through the employer in the USA. You might try to get them to give you a rental car and housing for the first month or two in the USA, until you find your own place and get your own car.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2013, 10:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wiki up top should help as it has a lot of info.

The fact you've already got a greencard puts you in a better position because you don't need them to move, but they need you to open the branch.

Boston is bloody expensive, especially for start up costs, so get as much as you can.

Get decent medical insurance too, it's required here.

Also, see if you can stay on the UK contract, certainly as far as holiday allowance and definitely as far as severance packages go.