Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expat packages - what can you expect?

Expat packages - what can you expect?

Old Jun 24th 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Alizoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat packages - what can you expect?

We're moving to Houston (husband has been offered and accepted a great job there) and I was wondering, what makes a good to great expat package from the company you will be working for? We are kind of babes in the wood when it comes to this. I've got some ideas from reading other threads on this board but thought I would throw the question out there to those who have done/are doing it. So would this about cover it? Or are my expectations off the scale?

1. Flights - in/out and 2 returns each during the first year, then 1 return each per year

2. Accommodation paid for 3 months until we find new home

3. Accommodation - rent paid for one year or for the whole duration of the posting (likely to be 3-5 years)?

4. Shipping costs in/out (one container)

5. UK storage costs?

6. Tax and Visa assistance

7. Fully comp health insurance for both of us

8. Spanish lessons paid for both of us

9. UK or US contract? Would a UK contract be best?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Alizoo
Old Jun 24th 2013, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat packages - what can you expect?

Hi,

We have just moved over. What you get offered really depends on the size of the company. Some would include all those elements and others a lot less. However, I think most would agree that if you got offered everything above it would be a very generous package

My OH company is quite small, so we didn't get a huge amount of help. However, they did pay for:

Flights over & back at end of contract (x 3)
Flights for our dog there and back at end of contract

Lump sum to cover moving etc.. It is up to us how we spend this. We have put our furniture into storage in the UK and will buy new over here.

Medical insurance - this comes with my OH employment. We have a $500 deductible, then 100% coverage. We do have to contribute around $400 a month for the 3 of us.

Temp accomodation for up to 3 months.

All other expenses are down to us (no rent paid, flights home etc.)

Have you thought if you will need a car? I have seen people ask for a rental car for the first month. You can also ask for the cost of preparing your first/last US tax return.

You don't say if you have children - some companies will pay for private education.

Finally, we are renting out our UK home which has tax implications. I would recommend getting some tax advice before you come over in relation to pensions, savings etc.. as there are quite stringent reporting rules. There are many threads on this subject.

Good luck, there is a lot to take in!
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you HartleyHare! We are childless so this is one less complexity...thanks for the month care hire tip. Fingers crossed the company will be generous! Best of luck to you settling in. Whereabouts are you? Alizoo
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

PalmTrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We've done several expat postings and are currently in the US, we get as standard:

1. Return flights and accomadtion for an initial visit to find school / home, then return flights home once a year plus flights for family bereavement if necessary.

2. Accomadtion paid for the entirety for the posting, also a relocation agent provided to find houses, set up utilities, help apply for SS numbers etc.

3. Shipping costs (1 container) and lump sum to pay for additional furniture needed here.

4. Storage costs in UK covered for length of posting.

5. Accountancy firm provided to do tax returns for length of assignment.

6. Immigration lawyer to sort out visas, all costs covered by employer.

7. Full health insurance, no co-pays or deductables. Employer covers any health expenses that insurer does not.

8. No language lessons in English speaking countries unfortunately!

9. Private school fees covered plus reimbursement for any compulsory supplies (text books, iPads etc)

10. 2 company cars and free petrol for 1 car.

Hope this helps and good luck with the move!
Old Jun 24th 2013, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Wow that's a great package, fingers crossed ours will be as good. Hope you are enjoying Nashville!
Old Jun 24th 2013, 2:13 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Will your husband be paid as an expat or are you being relocated and therefore being paid locally?
This will affect the answer. You're very unlikely to get accommodation paid for a prolonged period if you're being relocated, plus it's taxable.

To put this in perspective it sounds to me like out of the postings above HartleyHare was relocated and PalmTrees is on an expat package.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Will your husband be paid as an expat or are you being relocated and therefore being paid locally?
This will affect the answer. You're very unlikely to get accommodation paid for a prolonged period if you're being relocated, plus it's taxable.

To put this in perspective it sounds to me like out of the postings above HartleyHare was relocated and PalmTrees is on an expat package.
You are correct OH is on a "local" contract, but has kept his UK holiday allowance.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

PalmTrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Bink is also correct about our situation. My husband has a UK contract and we are here for a set period of time before we move back to the UK or somewhere else in the world equally as exotic as Nashville!
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:38 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
You are correct OH is on a "local" contract, but has kept his UK holiday allowance.
That's good (and what I have but don't tell my employees that).

HartelyHare's is a good example of a 'relocation'/'local' package and PalmTrees is a good example of an 'expat' package.

I was relocated and got the following:

- Flight/yr for first 3 years
- Accom for 6 months (though it actually ended up being 9 months)
- Company car
- CPA for first 3 years
- Lump sum amount for expenses
- Shipping paid for
- Medical/health insurance

I work for a small company and set up an office for them here.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a thing in the wiki that has lots of info...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US
Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for their replies and Bob for the wiki link!
Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a thing in the wiki that has lots of info...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US
That wiki should be updated to indicate that some of a relocation package will be taxable to the recipient. As I've said before in this forum, having your employer "gross up" your package such that they are effectively paying any taxes you incur is a pretty important feature of a relocation package.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:16 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Wow these packages are very generous. I would insist on tax help, accomodation for a couple of months and obviously visa help. The other stuff sounds a bit extravagant to me. When I moved from UK to US my employer got the US consulate in Edinburgh to stamp my passport with an H1B visa and that was it, no relocation or other help. I just got on a plane and started working.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Wow these packages are very generous. I would insist on tax help, accomodation for a couple of months and obviously visa help. The other stuff sounds a bit extravagant to me. When I moved from UK to US my employer got the US consulate in Edinburgh to stamp my passport with an H1B visa and that was it, no relocation or other help. I just got on a plane and started working.
I know some people over here who get the amazing expat packages, very different from coming on H1-B, unfortunately
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I know some people over here who get the amazing expat packages, very different from coming on H1-B, unfortunately
Yeah I suppose the big expat packages come with L1 type visas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.