Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation package

Relocation package

Old Oct 18th 2019, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation package

Originally Posted by nlg1002

Please excuse my ignorance but can you explain what you mean by “grossed up”? Thanks
It means that they give you more than the "x" they agree to pay you for relocation expenses to take account of that "x" being treated as taxable income. So, for example, if the state and federal tax take is 30%, they'll pay you approx. 30% more than "x" to take account of your tax liability. It's a little bit more complex than that if they do it right, as that additional amount is in itself taxable income ad infinitum, but that's the general idea.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It means that they give you more than the "x" they agree to pay you for relocation expenses to take account of that "x" being treated as taxable income. So, for example, if the state and federal tax take is 30%, they'll pay you approx. 30% more than "x" to take account of your tax liability. It's a little bit more complex than that if they do it right, as that additional amount is in itself taxable income ad infinitum, but that's the general idea.
Good summary.

because of the grossing up of expenses my company also mandated that their tax accounts did our tax returns to insure they were done correctly.

Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
packages are not quite so generous these days unless you are VERY senior in the company!
This is what I am seeing for relocation:
pre-visit is nice but not offered so much anymore. Companies are offering 30 days of paid accommodation upon arrival and this gives you plenty of time to find a rental house/apartment and then register at schools if needed. If they offer the services of a "destination consultant" that will help enormously at getting you settled in quickly.
Accountancy services for the first tax return for each country is pretty normal.
car hire for 30 days.
flights+moving costs to the USA - not many people are getting return flights back each year unless senior execs.
all costs associated with visas - paid.
if the L1 is meant to be a stepping stone to the GC and they have stipulated that the move is intended to be one way then you must ask for the timeline for GC sponsorship. If you are on an L1a visa ( as opposed to L1b) then this should proceed very quickly, Don't leave it open-ended
It is pretty normal that you are required to pay back certain costs if you leave the company within 2 years of GC approval. Usually, the amount reduces each month to zero at 2 years. My OH's company does this but we've never heard of it being enforced. All kinds of tax issues would result for example.
Being given a set amount to cover moving costs is normal - around $10k mark - more/less depending on seniority and company generosity. This is supposed to include selling a house/selling cars at a loss/stopping subscription services early etc.

Now,having said all this. Most multi-national companies already have the moving packages worked out for each pay grade. A little bit of room for negotiation but not much. The best bit of advice to give you is try to negotiate that you go up to the next pay grade band. Even if the pay increase isn't enormous, it is easier to get pay rises within the band than it is to move to the next band - now is the time to try and get that. It might also mean you get a slightlty more generous relocation package.
When I moved with my company it was as an expert engineer, not as an executive, but that was decades ago so you are almost certainly correct in thinking that times have changed a lot since then.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

nlg1002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That is a perfect explanation for me. Thank you.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

There will be many indirect costs of moving that you might not yet have considered and which probably wouldn't fall under a direct "moving costs" budget, especially if you have to treat this fund as an expense account to draw down from. Think things like buying out your remaining mobile phone contracts and TV contracts. For this reason, I pushed for a lump sum (grossed up) instead of a moving expense account. Ended up getting $25k to cover everything.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 5:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Settling in costs are common in some expat packages. This is a cash payment of say $2,000-5,000 for things like, well stuff you forgot. Placemats. Tin openers. Lawn mower, extension cords. All the little tidbits you couldn't bring or need to buy new on arriving to the USA.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

scaly back is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

First time post, but have been getting lots of good information from these forums. I came over in 2012 and, from what I have read here, was lucky enough to get sent over on an expat package, e.g. house, utilities, car, furnishing costs, four flights back to the U.K. each year etc. The one thing I wish I'd known was that whilst it's fantastic, you're actually put at a disadvantage in the long run.

Once I'd decided to buy my own car I found that as I hadn't been paying for the utilities / rent etc. my credit score, and hence my insurance score was horrible, so I ended up paying about $3,000 a year just for vehicle coverage. If you get any of those packages be sure to pay yourself and then expense it back to the company, will help build your credit via accounts held in good standing and paid in time.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 8:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scaly back
Hello,

First time post, but have been getting lots of good information from these forums. I came over in 2012 and, from what I have read here, was lucky enough to get sent over on an expat package, e.g. house, utilities, car, furnishing costs, four flights back to the U.K. each year etc. The one thing I wish I'd known was that whilst it's fantastic, you're actually put at a disadvantage in the long run.

Once I'd decided to buy my own car I found that as I hadn't been paying for the utilities / rent etc. my credit score, and hence my insurance score was horrible, so I ended up paying about $3,000 a year just for vehicle coverage. If you get any of those packages be sure to pay yourself and then expense it back to the company, will help build your credit via accounts held in good standing and paid in time.
rent and utilities payments don't get reported to credit bureaux unless you are in arrears.
Financing or leasing a car, getting your own credit card, taking out a small loan to get a piece of furniture will help your credit but it's also going to take time to build up. And $3k for car insurance in your first year works out at $250 a month which isn't that bad for no/little US driving history and low credit score...I would also counsel people to get new quotes every 3 months - ie shop around.

Old Nov 2nd 2019, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

scaly back is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, okay, happy to stand corrected :-)

The realtor the company retained told me that the third party responsible for collecting the rent (eRent payment) reported to the credit agencies. This is somewhat anecdotal as I didn't look into it at the time as I had quite enough to take in.