Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating within the US

Relocating within the US

Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Wink Relocating within the US

I am not sure how serious I am about this, but it is something I am beginning to seriously consider....

Since moving to the US permanently (k1 visa) I have lived on the East coast (NY/NJ metro area) and am beginning to consider a move to California/Colorado.

In England I grew up and lived in a little village but about 7 miles away from a decent sized town. Thus I was fortunate to have the space around me but the convience of a town (for shops, restaurants etc...) nearby. Not to mention London 40mins away by train.

Therefore I never really saw myself as a "city girl" and I always loved having fields around me, and a sense of community. Now living close to, and working in NYC for three years I am beginning to want something else. I do love NY, but feel that perhaps I have just had enough of the high taxes, crazy expensive housing...etc and all the trappings of the big city.

I did spend 6months living in Colorado at Univ. and loved the life out there. So I know the realism of a move.

The thing that keeps my husband and I here, is his (our!) family and our friends. Plus being in NYC I can always dash back to Britain (indeed I do go back about 5 times a year.) fairly cheaply.

I question the move, as my family is so far away it is great to have his family close by.

Maybe it is because we are young (me - just turned 26 and he 30) we are still finding our way...etc. Plus my husband is quite keen too - big skier etc!!

But the idea of another move is overwhelming, but I can't help feeling a move to CA, Co would provide a much better quality of life and more normalcy. Not sure what it is, maybe I would feel this way in any big city.

Has anyone else relocated after moving here? Did you feel remote with no friends and family. I know we would have new friends, but it is obviously a big move.

Thanks for reading and sorry this is long winded, therapy I guess!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:50 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Relocating within the US

OMG - you have become a local!

It's not normalcy....it's *normality* LOL!

By the way....did you get away for your romantic weekend?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Relocating within the US

Originally Posted by Englishmum
OMG - you have become a local!

It's not normalcy....it's *normality* LOL!

By the way....did you get away for your romantic weekend?
Was going to go to Boston, and then I thought PA - but ended up going in to good old NYC and had dinner at a little french place we like. Best thing about the weekend was - no plans or expectations from family or others! Just did what we wanted, when we wanted. fabulous!

Just I got a bit scared about going too far after all the snow. Plus my husband had just got back from skiing in Aspen - so he was tired etc. See there is CO again!!

I hear it calling!!

Thanks for remembering me!!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

It's a difficult decision to make, there are lots of factors.
Because this country is so big, moving is a costly exercise even if you DIY.
To me the major factor is the cost of living.
I've been offered some jobs but when I look at the cost of living comparisons, all of a sudden the high salaries aren't as high as they seem.
Other considerations are 'quality of life' and children. If you're young and have no kids and have an adventurous nature then this sure seems to be the country to move around in.
California seems to be very expensive, not sure about CO but as you now live/work in the NYC area, I should imagine most other places would be cheap.
No disrespect to UK 'northerners' but obviously the cost of living in say Newcastle is a lot less than the South East, and so it is over here.
I'm waffling now so I'll stop.
Good luck
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:57 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine who's American recently moved from MA to Colorado and she didn't have friends or family there. One of her children was adopted from Eastern Europe with some health issues and she felt that CO has a better climate. Last I heard she was having a great time there and loving it. She found a rental over the internet and managed to ship all her things.

If you want to chat to her I'm sure I can pass along her email for you to swap notes.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Certainly is a big decision. We don't have kids yet, but we have just bought a house so there is that to consider.

I think if anything we will move to Colorado, where the costs of living are a lot cheaper. For example what I paid for a 2 bed, 2 bath brand new condo, 10 miles from NYC will get me a 4 or 5 bed house on a decent amount of land. Great benefits since we are looking to start a family in the next year or two.

This factor also makes moving away from friends and family a big decision.

Oh I don't know!!!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
If you two like to ski, why not relocate to New Hampshire? There are TONS of opportunities depending on what you both do for a living, much less expensive to live here than Colorado or California. {esp CA}
My brothers wife is from Colorado and California and when she came here originally 27 years ago to meet all of us she fell in love with the place and they re-located here. One thing that's nice is it is close to Boston {only takes us and hour and a half to get to logan Airport} and the flights to and from the UK are very inexpensive. Also it is within driving distance to NYC which is nice as you live there. And the prices on homes are unbelievable. We live in this great big huge 5 bedroom, 3 bath house that is 4000 Square feet and on 3 acres of land! Homes in the area like this are selling for 250K to 400K depending on the area. So it's a thought I thought I'd run by you. the sking here is unreal. Mount cranmore, Wildcat, Attitash, Cannon, Loon, Sunday River etc are all within and hour or so away and mount Washington is to die for! If you want to see pics let me know!

Debs
Oh goodness - what a fabulous idea!! I am even more confused now!!

V. good idea as it keeps me close to cheap flights to Uk, and close to family here.

Shall discuss with the hubby!! I have been there - it is beautiful!!!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

grapefruit&milk is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont mean to rain on your parade (as is happening right now and putting a real damper on our Mardi Gras!), but I'm not sure that escaping to CA or CO will offer much amnesty from high home prices. Much of coastal California is right up there with NYC, and Colorado has become so desirable in the past 20 years that it's struggling as well.

But now alas! I see someone has recommended New Hampshire to you as what is probably the one remaining affordable place to live in New England.

Live free or die...
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit&milk
Live free or die...
not me. I don't like dying.

"Live free or be a bit upset"
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit&milk
But now alas! I see someone has recommended New Hampshire to you as what is probably the one remaining affordable place to live in New England.
bloody high property taxes though....but then again, it is one of the "tax free" states...
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... being able to leave your house unlocked at night and your keys in the car when you run into the grocery store!
people do that in maine, leave the car running even while they get groceries...I don't though....sods law and all that *lol*
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

yep......$6800.00 for property taxes, but my house is the size of three normal ones. But it seems a small price to pay for no crime and being able to leave your house unlocked at night and your keys in the car when you run into the grocery store!
ha ha I pay that for my condo now!!!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:50 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Taxes are 1% of the purchase price here is sunny CA. Average price of 4 Bedroom house = $1m - that's alot of tax! :scared: