Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to USA

Relocating to USA

Old May 18th 2014, 12:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to USA

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
I have to say that my experience is completely different to this. Maybe you're a much more natural linguist than I am but I can assure you, speaking a foreign language every day, especially in the first year or so, is exhausting. It completely wears you down. I never found it easier to integrate in those countries. You may not understand and so ignorance might be bliss but believe me, you absolutely do not fit in more easily.

In the Netherlands, maybe Germany and Scandinavia, it might be easier on the face of it but not speaking the language will always be a barrier to full integration. My first European job was in Italy and although the workplace language was supposed to be English, it wasn't in practice. One or two staff spoke English sufficiently to communicate but the others didn't and so they preferred not to. And at lunch or breaks, English was never spoken. You just had to fit in. I was lucky and got 2 Italian lessons a week and within a year I was probably sufficiently fluent to hold a decent conversation and go to the cinema/watch TV. And I'm a pretty decent linguist.

It is a lot easier if everyone is peaking the same, fluent language. Sure, there will be misundertandings in the UK/US dialogue but they pale into insignificance when you're struggling to just buy food or get around
I never said it was going to be easy. Just that it would be easier than one imagined than the US would be, just because the US speaks English, which is debatable :/

It's all about fitting in. You see the tele, watch the movies, but that doesn't mean you understand the culture. It could be easier jumping into an unknown language country without any expectations than coming to the US full of wrong ones.

The benefit of the EU being, one doesn't need a visa and it's a much shorter hop back for family/friends and other holidays.
Old May 18th 2014, 12:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Getting a job or communicating on a day to day basis in for instance in Spain or Italy is a whole different ball game altogether
Well I didn't say the whole of Europe did I

Popular holiday spots, well you might as well have included Poland and Turkey for their renown English

Finland's another good option though...probably not for manufacturing and the weather, but for the EU, language and culture.

As for tools and foundry work, best option would be China. Sure, the language is a issue, but they pay westerners rather well and will get you a visa in a couple days. A couple of mates went out there for design jobs, not a lick of the language or any ties to the far east. Interview on Monday, flown out on Wednesday for face to face and offered jobs. Had their visa's the following Monday to move out. Though one was to manage a design team and the other to manage the manufacturing side to a company that does all the tools production for a large US box store.

Amusingly, he designed the range of power tools and their production but never actually saw one on sale in the shops till I emailed him a pick
Old May 18th 2014, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Thats because Belgium has more than one language
...and the Walloon won't speak Flemish, and the Flemish won't speak French. And neither the Dutch, Belgians or French will speak German.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
...and the Walloon won't speak Flemish, and the Flemish won't speak French. And neither the Dutch, Belgians or French will speak German.
One day they will all speak English! Most Dutch already do, and it is increasingly the language of business within Europe. Forward thinking parents already use English with their children, and universities are giving more classes in English, and offering degrees exclusively delivered in English. I find it interesting that English is increasingly used in Eastern Europe, which is "Germany's back yard", where you'd expect German to be used more..... Certainly my high-school German teacher did when he was trying to encourage us to take 'O' Level German.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I never said it was going to be easy. Just that it would be easier than one imagined than the US would be, just because the US speaks English, which is debatable :/
i was going to say, you might speak English, but a lot of other people don't.
Old May 18th 2014, 7:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
One day they will all speak English! Most Dutch already do, and it is increasingly the language of business within Europe. Forward thinking parents already use English with their children, and universities are giving more classes in English, and offering degrees exclusively delivered in English. I find it interesting that English is increasingly used in Eastern Europe, which is "Germany's back yard", where you'd expect German to be used more..... Certainly my high-school German teacher did when he was trying to encourage us to take 'O' Level German.
At a business dinner in Zwindrecht, after struggling with the menu, I told my agents that next time I came to Zwindrecht I would order the meal myself.

I got back to the UK and bought a Linguaphone course that cost me £200. Complete waste of money. Try learning the Dutch language, you are constantly spitting and growling. bloody nightmare .... I sold it on ebay years later. Thats why the Dutch speak English, because no one one has a chance of mastering their language :-)
Old May 18th 2014, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

At a business dinner in Zwindrecht, after struggling with the menu, I told my agents that next time I came to Zwindrecht I would order the meal myself.

I got back to the UK and bought a Linguaphone course that cost me £200. Complete waste of money. Try learning the Dutch language, you are constantly spitting and growling. bloody nightmare .... I sold it on ebay years later. Thats why the Dutch speak English, because no one one has a chance of mastering their language :-)
I once worked out how to ask for a room for two in Holland once. 'Heft U ein kemer fur dweren persones ?' and the reply, 'Certainly Sir, would that be smoking, or not? '
Old May 18th 2014, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

I once worked out how to ask for a room for two in Holland once. 'Heft U ein kemer fur dweren persones ?' and the reply, 'Certainly Sir, would that be smoking, or not? '
Brilliant!

I was in France once and asked for 2 Pepsi's in a bar, he said he couldn't understand me so I pointed to the Pepsi and put 2 fingers up. After he gave me my Pepsi's I stood at the bar and a meter away on the TV was the program Friends, in English, which he was watching and laughing at.
Old May 18th 2014, 7:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Brilliant!

I was in France once and asked for 2 Pepsi's in a bar, he said he couldn't understand me so I pointed to the Pepsi and put 2 fingers up. After he gave me my Pepsi's I stood at the bar and a meter away on the TV was the program Friends, in English, which he was watching and laughing at.
Unfortunately that is typical of many of the French. They are like it in Quebec too...refuse to speak English.
Old May 18th 2014, 7:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I was sent on an in-house training course in the Netherlands by my employer, twenty of us: 17 Dutch, 2 French, plus me. The course was entirely in English! Anyhow one evening in the dining room one of my colleagues came to the table and asked if the chair between me and someone else was taken, however she asked in Dutch "Ist deze een frei?", .... I thought she had asked me "Is this one free?", because phonetically they are virtually identical.
Old May 18th 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Unfortunately that is typical of many of the French. They are like it in Quebec too...refuse to speak English.
Yeah I know I don't speak French myself, which I should have learnt a bit to be fair, but if he knows English then why be like that? He was a old man with a pipe and just looked like a stereotypical miserable old Frenchman with a chip on his shoulder.

When I went to Rome on the other hand, they were brilliant and did everything they could to be friendly and communicate. I was there to watch the football with 3 mates so they knew why we were there but still everyone we met was friendly, except the Roma fans on match day of course!!
Old May 18th 2014, 9:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have had that same experience a lot in Europe - but TBH, I think most people appreciate you having a go rather than assuming everyone should speak your language.

Now in the US, I had to learn a whole new vocabulary and pronunciation to avoid misunderstandings.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What defeats me is the follow up question to my carefully rehearsed request. For instance, my wife and I stopped in a Tim Hortons on the highway, and I figured out how to request (in French) two small black coffees and two plain bagels with cream cheese. I said my piece, and he nattered some unintelligible follow up question. So I had to admit that I didn't understand, and he said in perfect English (clearly his first language was English ...) "do you want the bagels buttered?" I'd forgotten the Canadians like butter AND cream cheese on their bagels...
Old May 19th 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Too true. We used to deal with an engineering firm in Montreal, and when we needed to call them, my company would always ask me to call, as I speak French. When calling, I would always speak French, only to get a reply in English. I was told I spoke French with a Paris accent, so they figured it was an English person calling. I never did figure that out.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem being understood in Europe. Wales, OTOH, is another matter - North Wales to be specific.

I was on holiday there and walked into a nice rural pub. I could hear conversations going on in English, but as soon as we walked up to the bar to order, they heard us and suddenly, absolutely no-one spoke English!

Totally true story.

Remember. Come home to a real fire. Buy a holiday home in Wales!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.