Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to USA

Relocating to USA

Old May 5th 2014, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

cliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Relocating to USA

Hi all. My name is Paul and I live with my wife in the Black Country area.

We are thinking of moving to america within the next few years. I am all for it

but my wife is unsure.

I am a Design Engineer so I have checked out all the areas which would support

my job and one area we both liked was Portland, Oregon.

It has a wealth of engineering work for me and perhaps work for my wife as she

works in retail.

We like the surrounding areas of Portland; including Gresham, Vancouver, Saint

Helens, Longview,

Tillamook and Astoria. So those would be nice places to live as we have looked

at houses in those areas via the web.

We are saving up to go next year for two weeks so we can look at the area and

perhaps some of the houses aswell.

What do you think? Is it a good idea or bad idea.

Would it be better if I applied for a job and let them sponsor me or..... ?

I have always liked liked the american culture and don't want to think when I am

92 sitting in my rocking chair and thinking I wish I should have done this and

that.

Also I think it would be a great place to start a family.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

cliffhanger79
Old May 5th 2014, 3:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to USA

What is your visa eligibility?

A visa for work purposes can only be applied for by an employer, and if you're not an existing employee, the visas are limited in number and restricted in timing. A capped H-1A/B can't be applied for until next April for an October 2015 start. The numbers this year were three times oversubscribed, with a lottery used to decide who was successful.

Being transferred by your existing employer is a much more certain route, though still very difficult to line up and see to successful completion.

Honestly, your chances don't look good.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 5th 2014 at 3:51 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

cliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond repute

So I cant apply for a visa based on my engineering capabilities?
Old May 5th 2014, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"Also I think it would be a great place to start a family."

Maybe, or maybe not.
Depends if you have a lot of money.

And your wife working in retail? You'd force her to work a thankless job for crap pay and benefits?
Old May 5th 2014, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliffhanger79
No.
Practically you have to find a company that will offer you a job and they apply for the visa.
Do you have any specific skills that perhaps an American company would have difficulty finding in applicants who live here?

Or transfer over from an existing employer with a presence in the U.S.

Last edited by Hotscot; May 5th 2014 at 4:00 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 4:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So I can't apply for a visa based on my engineering capabilities?
Like hotscot said, "no", and with absolutely no exceptions! ...... Unless you have $$$$$$$ and want to be a business owner, when there are some options. Practically you'd need a minimum $200k-$300k, to get started; there are more options if you have $500k to invest burn.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 5th 2014 at 4:08 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You are putting the cart before the horse by looking at houses in areas that look nice on the web before checking out how you would get a visa to live and work in the USA.

You 'like the American culture' but how familiar are you with what day-to-day life is like here?
Old May 5th 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

I was worried about appling for a job as I read somewhere that if your employer gets rid of you then you would have to return to the UK with 30 days.

If I got a job and moved there with the job type visa, would I be able to apply for a full USA resident visa after then.

Also I wouldn't expect my wife to work at all.
Old May 5th 2014, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was worried about appling for a job as I read somewhere that if your employer gets rid of you then you would have to return to the UK with 30 days.

If I got a job and moved there with the job type visa, would I be able to apply for a full USA resident visa after then.

Also I wouldn't expect my wife to work at all.
IF you obtained a work visa you could then apply for a Green card which would give you permanent residency.
Your employer applies for the Green card for you, so dependent on how soon they would do this for you and then how long it would take for the Green card to come through (depends on what type of work visa you have) you could expect to wait a few years before obtaining the Green card.

If you enter the US with an H1 visa your wife will get an H4 and she won't be able to work.
Old May 5th 2014, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You would hope you'd have a great job and wonderful new life but for example you could also move over to a job, be in the job 8 months, and then let go with absolutely no warning, and yes, generally you'd have to leave soon after. There are very few protections in the U.S.

There is of course a process to become a Permanent Resident, which would take years. There are faq's at the top of the forum list.

It's just a different shade of green over here. It can be far better or far worse than the life you currently have. Again, a lot would depend on having a lot of money.

It's a terrible place to be poor.

First things first though...do you have any special skills that would be hard to find over here and for which an American employer would be willing to expend thousands of dollars in order to get in you?
Old May 5th 2014, 4:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Design Engineer so I have checked out all the areas which would support my job and one area we both liked was Portland, Oregon.
You may not be able to find a sponsoring employer in your ideal location, though. Keep that in mind.

....or? What is the other option you are considering by saying "or?"

For more info, go to the BE Wiki Guide and find the article called "Pulaski's Ways...". That lists all the available visas to the USA. When you find one or two that might fit you, come on back and let us know, so we can discuss in more detail.

If you are only considering a work visa, you must find a US employer willing to sponsor your H1B visa. You must have a degree or years of experience, and the job must require a degree. You must bring something special to the table to make the US employer choose to spend $$$ to bring you to the USA, rather than hiring someone who is already inside the USA.

If you currently work for an employer who has offices in the USA, an inter-company transfer (L visa) is the best way to go.

If you are thinking of settling in the USA long-term, make sure the US employer puts it in writing that they will sponsor you for permanent residency (green card), BEFORE you accept employment.

Rene
Old May 5th 2014, 4:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can, but only after a US employer has submitted a petition to USCIS. The first available date they can do this is April 2015, for a start date in October 2015.

Rene
Old May 5th 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
IF you obtained a work visa you could then apply for a Green card which would give you permanent residency.
Your employer applies for the Green card for you, so dependent on how soon they would do this for you and then how long it would take for the Green card to come through (depends on what type of work visa you have) you could expect to wait a few years before obtaining the Green card. .....
And your employer is under absolutely NO obligation to apply for a green card for you, unless you push to get it documented in your employment terms. As soon as you have a green card you are free to "jump ship", whereas so long as you're on an L1 you are absolutely tied to your employer, and switching jobs on an H1 is highly improbable.
Old May 5th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

One thing I think you should consider if you have not already, that being on holidays or temporary living in the USA, is no way close to living here and there are plenty of adjustments required more than I ever thought I would have to consider. I have now lived in the USA for ten years and I am still adjusting.

If you feel it is time to move, then go for it but I must warn you that if you are coming with your wife I would do some serious homework on what will make it feel like second home to her, this is such a vital point in making the move.

Some of us feel that we can adapt to any environment, and most of the times that is true but you have to be prepared for so many changes to your way of live and how one adjusts to the different cultures between the USA vs UK.

Just the English language alone can be difficult at work when trying to communicate a problem, the sense of humour and the different meanings of the same words (USA:Pissed vs UK:Pissed).

Hi all. My name is Paul and I live with my wife in the Black Country area.

We are thinking of moving to america within the next few years. I am all for it

but my wife is unsure.

I am a Design Engineer so I have checked out all the areas which would support

my job and one area we both liked was Portland, Oregon.

It has a wealth of engineering work for me and perhaps work for my wife as she

works in retail.

We like the surrounding areas of Portland; including Gresham, Vancouver, Saint

Helens, Longview,

Tillamook and Astoria. So those would be nice places to live as we have looked

at houses in those areas via the web.

We are saving up to go next year for two weeks so we can look at the area and

perhaps some of the houses aswell.

What do you think? Is it a good idea or bad idea.

I have always liked liked the american culture and don't want to think when I am

92 sitting in my rocking chair and thinking I wish I should have done this and

that.

Also I think it would be a great place to start a family.

Thanks

cliffhanger79
Old May 5th 2014, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly sure what a design engineer does, but if it is a profession that would qualify for a H1b visa or maybe even an EB3 visa, think about finding a job in a part of the US where there won't be many people already in that profession, or where people in that profession wouldn't normally want to move to (i.e. a town considered somewhat undesirable by most). That way you're more likely to get sponsored for the visa and be successful in getting it) if the employer can't find someone available locally. I think that's pretty much the way it worked out for me. Once you're in, you could always move to Portland or wherever later on if things worked out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.