Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to LA - Need help with rentals

Relocating to LA - Need help with rentals

Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of
Talking Relocating to LA - Need help with rentals

Hi. moved from u.k to ohio last august, now moving from ohio to los angeles in january and need help!! Well moving out of apartment here end of december.

dont know anyone in la, have friends in san diego but thats too far a drive and really need some help from fellow brits looking for someone who may be available to view rental properties for me, i know its a bit unusual but the cost to fly to la for three days to look at listings is eating away at money needed for the big move.

some of the places i found wont even let me fill an application without seeing the place first or getting someone to see it.

any advice or help. Of course your time and gas will be compensated if you do have time to view. thank you!!!
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:26 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to LA - Need help with rentals

Sounds like a really bad idea.

When moving from LA to TX we had our inlaws look at our list, they then sent us more pictures and described the area. We then flew out to view the short list based on their description and the pictures. Hated every one of them.
Rental property moves fast in LA (at least it did when we moved out there in 07).
Find the time and money to go see them with your own eyes, or consider a short term hotel suite rental to use as a base while you find your home.

Our 1,300 sq ft home in Santa Monica was $3,200 a month back in 08. Considerably more than renting a hotel suite for a month.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:48 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

So you want a random person who you don't know to view flats for you to live in???

Awesome idea
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:04 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
So you want a random person who you don't know to view flats for you to live in???

Awesome idea
Ha. Actually it is. These random people are called "apartment brokers". I used one to rent a flat sight unseen when I moved to Houston, without a confirmed job (I wasn't an immigrant, just moving from another state). Brokers know all of the specials, have inside info on which apartments have bad reputations, can help negotiate for you on amenities, and above all can tell you whether your expectations are realistic. In most places they are licensed professionals. They get a commission paid by the apartment complex you eventually end up renting from. When you get to town, they will go with you to view apartments on your short list, and they are useful for noticing things you don't. They usually know something about moving companies or professional organizers who can help you unpack.

Now apartment brokers don't know about rooms in private homes, for example (though there are such things as roommate brokers in some places). They don't know all neighborhoods, so you need to make sure you choose one in the neighborhood you are interested in. Don't use multiple brokers. Don't let your broker nail you into an exclusive contract, either, or ask you to pay them. It's nice, but not my any means usual, to give them a token gift if you are happy with them and with the apartment. After all you may be using them again next year.

Yes, you definitely should stay in short-term lodging while you apartment search. Don't let it pressure you. You only want to rent where you feel comfortable.

Last edited by Speedwell; Dec 13th 2012 at 3:06 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:08 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Ha. Actually it is. These random people are called "apartment brokers". I used one to rent a flat sight unseen when I moved to Houston, without a confirmed job (I wasn't an immigrant, just moving from another state). Brokers know all of the specials, have inside info on which apartments have bad reputations, can help negotiate for you on amenities, and above all can tell you whether your expectations are realistic. In most places they are licensed professionals. They get a commission paid by the apartment complex you eventually end up renting from. When you get to town, they will go with you to view apartments on your short list, and they are useful for noticing things you don't. They usually know something about moving companies or professional organizers who can help you unpack.

Now apartment brokers don't know about rooms in private homes, for example (though there are such things as roommate brokers in some places). They don't know all neighborhoods, so you need to make sure you choose one in the neighborhood you are interested in. Don't use multiple brokers. Don't let your broker nail you into an exclusive contract, either, or ask you to pay them. It's nice, but not my any means usual, to give them a token gift if you are happy with them and with the apartment. After all you may be using them again next year.
Well I've leant something new today

I like the sound of this as a potential job for the future!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:24 pm
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of

Hi!

thanks for the replys, no not random as such, but i have finally found a friend but as jan gets closer the plan is changing. We have of course found the places ourselves, and viewed pictures online and spoken to the landlords before sending someone out to have a look!

not getting someone to find it for us, that would be a nitemare it was more the landlord having peace of mind that we sent someone to look, we trust there opinion that place isnt falling apart, and pics they took were current so we could start an application. otherwise landlords were saying we could say we liked it, but then turn up and change our minds.

anyway we are staying in a rental for 3 weeks to view places ourselves, now planning a roadtrip there, and figuring out how to get one of our cars there. thanks for your advice
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:26 pm
Is Female

thanks this is what i have been looking for, a broker. we are looking to rent an apartment or single family home, i have found a few good places but sure they won't be there by the time we arrive.

Any advice on how you found an apartment broker?
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:35 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gnasher12
thanks this is what i have been looking for, a broker. we are looking to rent an apartment or single family home, i have found a few good places but sure they won't be there by the time we arrive.

Any advice on how you found an apartment broker?
Google for apartment locators in _______, filling in the blank for the general location where you want to live (Burbank, Sherman Oaks, etc.) After you make a list of four or five possible brokers, then Google their names (possibly adding "problem" or "nightmare" or "not recommended") to see if anyone has posted complaints about them. Make a list of your "dealbreakers" for renting (move-in date, price, location, square footage, bedrooms, presence of washer/dryer, pets allowed, credit or income needed to rent there, etc.). E-mail each broker with your list and ask them to return you a "survey" of properties, including move-in specials. From their responses, you should be able to identify a broker who is more helpful than the others. From their list, you should also be able to narrow your search to three or four properties that are "best fits" to your criteria. Send your broker the short list and the times when you think you will be available to see the properties.