Reload this Page >

Registering a vehicle in CA

Registering a vehicle in CA

Old Nov 30th 2013, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Powka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering a vehicle in CA

Hi,

I'm about to buy a USED CAR in Los Angeles, but I'm still with my European driving license (not British though). Can I register the license plate, register and insure that car on my name with EU driving license?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a vehicle in CA

Originally Posted by Powka
Hi,
I'm about to buy a USED CAR in Los Angeles, but I'm still with my European driving license (not British though). Can I register the license plate, register and insure that car on my name with EU driving license?
Registering the vehicle does not require a CA driver's license.
See http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm for details.
If you are buying a used car from a dealer then they should take care of all of the paperwork for you.

It is possible to get insurance without having a CA driver's license but you will have to shop around and it will be expensive.

On a separate, but related, note - registering a vehicle in CA is going to give rise to a pretty strong presumption that you are a CA resident and you are supposed to get a CA driver's license within 10 days of becoming a CA resident. While the 10 day requirement is, in practice, very often impossible to comply with you really should start the process of getting yourself a CA license as soon as possible.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
Registering the vehicle does not require a CA driver's license.
See http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm for details.
If you are buying a used car from a dealer then they should take care of all of the paperwork for you.

It is possible to get insurance without having a CA driver's license but you will have to shop around and it will be expensive.

On a separate, but related, note - registering a vehicle in CA is going to give rise to a pretty strong presumption that you are a CA resident and you are supposed to get a CA driver's license within 10 days of becoming a CA resident. While the 10 day requirement is, in practice, very often impossible to comply with you really should start the process of getting yourself a CA license as soon as possible.
Thanks for that, this was very helpful. It got me thinking then maybe I should instead rent a car and get a CA driver's license first.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:10 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks!
If you buy a low value car the only insurance you should get it liability. Your junker wont be covered but the other guy is.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
If you buy a low value car the only insurance you should get it liability. Your junker wont be covered but the other guy is.
Thanks for the advice. In that case will the insurance cost be significantly lower or just slightly?
Old Nov 30th 2013, 6:31 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. In that case will the insurance cost be significantly lower or just slightly?
That would depend on the value of the used vehicle not insured. Naturally if you buy a $15,000 used car you would want to insure it. Also if the car is financed the bank would require it to be insured.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:44 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

We did. We just had the written text booked for as early as we could to show we were trying to get our CA licenses since were then pretty obviously resident
Old Dec 1st 2013, 1:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
We did. We just had the written text booked for as early as we could to show we were trying to get our CA licenses since were then pretty obviously resident
"..... written TEST.... " Right?