Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering for Selective Service

Registering for Selective Service

Old May 15th 2013, 5:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering for Selective Service

Originally Posted by Xebedee
.... My eldest son will be 18 in 3 years. I do not want him to sign up for the SS draft list. He has dual UK/USA nationality and I'm concerned about what they might do to him if he refuses since nowadays there is so much paranoia in Amerika.
So you had problems because you had not registered with the SS but were able to get the clearance you needed because you had not needed to. Now you want to put your son in the same position, but without any permissible reason, and therefore in the event he needs security clearance later in life he will be unable to get it. :confused:

Last edited by Pulaski; May 15th 2013 at 5:39 pm.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:54 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
If he refuses what? To register with Selective Service? Or, having registered, to respond to a non-existant draft?
Regards, JEff
To register for a draft list.
Which is what it is.

Originally Posted by civilservant
If he could, possibly, maybe want a Federal job in the future than he dosen't have a choice. Besides isn't that HIS choice rather than yours?
Sure, its his choice, I simply said I do not want him to.
His choice / my opinion and desire as a parent.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So you had problems because you had not registered with the SS but were able to get the clearance you needed because you had not needed to. Now you want to put your son in the same position, but without any permissible reason, and therefore in the event he needs security clearance later in life he will be unable to get it.
You made a lot of assumptions there.
Old May 15th 2013, 6:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.....You made a lot of assumptions there.
I have reviewed what you said, and what I said in response, and I believe I summarised what you said, nothing more. Perhaps you would care to educate us.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 15th 2013 at 6:58 pm.
Old May 15th 2013, 8:27 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I have reviewed what you said, and what I said in response, and I believe I summarised what you said, nothing more. Perhaps you would care to educate us.
Not really, but its nice of you to ask.

Last edited by Xebedee; May 15th 2013 at 8:33 pm. Reason: grndlflp
Old May 16th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I got my visa on April 25th, 2003, three days after my 26th birthday. The guys ahead of me in the line was a younger guy and he was asked to complete some forms on SS... I noted that they didn't ask me about it, later finding out that I was too old (just), but that was unintentional.

I didn't think anything else about it outside of when I checked the box on the Citizenship form.

Having just looked through the link posted to the SSS.gov website, I never had a letter from the Selective Service people confirming whether I was or was not required to register.

Their were no issues when I applied for citizenship. To be honest, before I looked at that link, I never even thought about the possibility of their being an issue.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:05 pm

Not really, but its nice of you to ask.
So you had potential problems re Selective Service registration that you were able to resolve, but want to put your son in potentially the same situation but with no valid mitigating factors. Good job! I'm alright, Jack, pull up the ladder!
Old May 16th 2013, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I got my visa on April 25th, 2003, three days after my 26th birthday. The guys ahead of me in the line was a younger guy and he was asked to complete some forms on SS... I noted that they didn't ask me about it, later finding out that I was too old (just), but that was unintentional.

I didn't think anything else about it outside of when I checked the box on the Citizenship form.

Having just looked through the link posted to the SSS.gov website, I never had a letter from the Selective Service people confirming whether I was or was not required to register.

Their were no issues when I applied for citizenship. To be honest, before I looked at that link, I never even thought about the possibility of their being an issue.
I don't remember getting asked anything about SS when getting citizenship either. It's only now I've applied for a federal job that it has come up as the application asks for my SS registration number or a letter from the SS stating I did not need to register. I guess I'll wait and see what the potential employer says if I get offered a job as I just pulled this from the SS website:

"FINAL DECISION – The benefit agency official handling your case, not the Selective Service, will determine whether you have shown that your failure to register was not a knowing and willful failure to register. The final decision regarding your eligibility for the benefit that you seek (for me - a job) will be made by the agency granting the benefit..."
Old May 17th 2013, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

So you had potential problems re Selective Service registration that you were able to resolve, but want to put your son in potentially the same situation but with no valid mitigating factors. Good job! I'm alright, Jack, pull up the ladder!
I agree. We are not just talking about only civil servant positions but also positions at NASA, CDC, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and JPL as well as possibly Sandia National Labs, Lockheed, and possibly many others. Also financial aid and other benefits can be denied.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
I certainly don't have any documentation that shows when I entered/left
You can get it from CBP, you file this form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-639.pdf to get a copy of your entry record from TECS.

The rude guy said I could contact USCIS to get the dates etc of all my visits, which seems a bit of stretch going back 26 years,
No it's not, it's routinely done, he gave you the correct information. The form is a USCIS form but technically the record is maintained by CBP.
Old May 18th 2013, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You can get it from CBP, you file this form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-639.pdf to get a copy of your entry record from TECS.

No it's not, it's routinely done, he gave you the correct information. The form is a USCIS form but technically the record is maintained by CBP.
OK, thanks Steve. No sure why he had to be such an a$$hole rather than do his job and be just a bit helpful, tell me that this is routinely done, is pretty easy, and that a simple FOIA form on the web was the way to go.
Old May 20th 2013, 12:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Narrow down on the box on the form or with a letter specifically what you're after, tell them it is for the SSS to show you didn't have to register, otherwise you'll get a letter back a month from now saying the search will cost more than $25 to process. Or include a letter saying you're okay with a higher limit.
Old May 20th 2013, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Narrow down on the box on the form or with a letter specifically what you're after, tell them it is for the SSS to show you didn't have to register, otherwise you'll get a letter back a month from now saying the search will cost more than $25 to process. Or include a letter saying you're okay with a higher limit.
OK, cheers.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Just went to fill out the G-639 Freedom of Information Act form and looked at the guidelines for filling it out and it includes under "When Should I not file a FOIA request": To obtain proof of status (i.e., Social Security benefit, Selective Service requirement). Guess I'm back to square one.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The actual draft ceased to exist 40 years ago. The current system is just a registration, a list. The government now knows who is here in any case. So the penalty for failure to register is something to be avoided.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
I am hoping someone here (male) has been down the road of dealing with the issue of registering for Selective Service when they were too old to do so. As you may know, all males in the US have to register between the ages of 18 and 26 for what I would guess is effectively "the draft" if it were to happen. I became a PR in 2002 and a US citizen about 3 years ago. I'd like to have the ability to apply for federal jobs, but to actually be employed by the feds you have to have registered for the selective service between 18 and 26. I was still a resident of the UK then so obviously I didn't do it.

It seems like I can get some kind of Status Information Letter from the Selective Service System that would effectively state that I am exempt from registering due to age and not being eligible to register etc. I just called them and spoke to possibly the rudest person on the planet. He insisted that I need to prove every date that I entered the US and what age I was then. Apparently this includes coming over on holidays to the US. I could probably remember the years of a couple of my holidays but not all of them. I certainly don't have any documentation that shows when I entered/left and if I did, it would be in a box in my brothers attic in England somewhere molding away. The rude guy said I could contact USCIS to get the dates etc of all my visits, which seems a bit of stretch going back 26 years, plus I'm guessing they would take years to find this info. I seem to remember having to tell USCIS when I was on holiday in this country for my citizenship application (I think I guessed), but I didn't have to provide passport stamps etc

Anybody been through this before? I'm not gonna be calling the SS back as the guy berated me and then hung up on me in the end when I suggested it was crazy to demand such info and paperwork from 25+ years ago. I realized just now that the SS is part of the Dept of Defense, so his attitude made sense, being pretty much like a Sgt major on first day of boot camp.

Hoping someone can give me some insight if they've been through this before.

Cheers.
You don't need a letter. It clearly states so here:

http://www.sss.gov/Status.html

No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for :

Non-U.S. male who came into this country for the first time after his 26th birthday
Date of entry stamp in his passport, I-94 with date of entry stamp on it, or a letter from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicating the date the man entered the United States. If the men entered the U.S. illegally after his 26th birthday, he must provide proof that he was not living in the U.S. from age 18 through 25. Resident Alien Card (Green Card) is not valid as proof of the date of entry to the United States.

Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa
For example, if the man entered the United States as an F-1 student visa and remained in that status until his 26th birthday, he would need to provide documentation indicating that he was admitted on an F-1 visa and attended school full-time as required. Acceptable documentation for this situation include a copy of his I-20 form or a letter from the school he attended indicating his full-time attendance as a non-immigrant alien. The same thing applies for all non-immigrant statuses.

A male born prior to 1960
Official government issued document showing date of birth such as state ID card, driver’s license, passport, birth certificate.

A veteran
DD-214 or current fulltime active duty orders, military ID card. For men over age
26 who failed to register, active duty U.S. military service is compelling
evidence that their failure to register was not knowing and willful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.