Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

registering foreign birth at UK consulate in D.C

registering foreign birth at UK consulate in D.C

Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default registering foreign birth at UK consulate in D.C

hey folks, im just filling out the forms to register my daughters birth at the UK consulate/embassy in DC and had a quick question if you could help please
I am a male British citizen otherwise than by descent and my daughter was born here in the US, in the forms it asks about a marriage declaration form and original divorce decree for my wife , to save having to find or get the original documents for those , can i just send in my birth certificate, and my daughters birth certificate along with copies of mine and my wifes marriage certificate and passport info pages?
i know that since July 2006 that the parents dont need to be married for the father to pass on citizenship to foreign born children so was wondering if i needed to goto the extra trouble of filling out the marriage declaration and trying to get my wifes original divorce decree?
thanks in advance
Paul
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: registering foreign birth at UK consulate in D.C

Your wife should have her original divorce decree - if not, she ought to obtain a copy anyway?

Get what documents you have and then make the application. The issue is that since July 2006, an unmarried father can pass on British citizenship automatically but only (from memory) if the mother is not married to someone else. If that's the case, Home Office registration is needed before age 18.