Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registered letter sent from UK. How Long?

Registered letter sent from UK. How Long?

Old May 30th 2014, 1:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registered letter sent from UK. How Long?

I've found USPS pretty reliable in general, and certainly the folks at our PO in town are very good. They basically know everybody in town, and if there is any problem, they sort it out for them.

I have had letters lost. In all cases they were letters either to, or from, a bank in the Isle of Man. I can't help wondering if they were intercepted by some US Treasury agency or similar, looking out for offshore funds being hidden or something.
Old May 30th 2014, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain

Case in point, last month we received a note in the mailbox saying that USPS had tried to deliver a registered package with signature required. Wife checked the box on said note saying please re-deliver and put it back in the mail box. 3 days pass and no sign of package. She goes to the post office and talks to the usual customer no service government employee who casually tells her it must be lost and to file a claim with the sender! She talks to two further no help drones over the proceeding weeks. One of the supervisors even had the temerity to imply that she was lying and that she really had received the package to which she replied something to the effect that, Ok sherlock, where's the proof of delivery with my signature? Of course that was also conveniently lost.
The package never arrived and the sender eventually refunded her and had to eat their incompetence. I think in reality that someone in the PO stole the item, but that is a WAG.
Was this really 'registered' or some lesser signature required service? Registered involves a tight chain of custody, so if the final delivery carrier signed for the package and then failed to deliver it, it seems like the onus would be on that person. And as I recall the USPS registered fee includes up to $25k of insurance.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Stuathorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally updated on the tracking system. The letter will be delivered today.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuathorn
Finally updated on the tracking system. The letter will be delivered today.
In future, if something is that important, use FedEx. ..... Seamless collection to delivery tracking by a single organization.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 4th 2014 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Only seams that way...
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Only seams that way...
So bad.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 9:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
So bad.
I wuz stitched up!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:32 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

If its important use any reputable courier like DHL etc I had stuff sent using Royal Mail International Signed For taking 4 weeks just for a document! Also if you go through a courier broker the price difference between Royal Mail and a courier is very little considering you know the item will reach in a couple of days.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by notshipman
If its important use any reputable courier like DHL etc I had stuff sent using Royal Mail International Signed For taking 4 weeks just for a document! Also if you go through a courier broker the price difference between Royal Mail and a courier is very little considering you know the item will reach in a couple of days.
I wouldn't use DHL, they've more or less shut up shop in the US and there is, I believe, a good chance that your packet will be handed off to a local US agent to deliver.

FedEx or UPS are the only ways to go for delivery to a US address for minimum risk and maximum efficiency.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be a hit or a miss as far as I'm concerned. My mother-in-law posted a birthday card for my daughter from Glasgow last Friday, and it arrived on Tuesday. Other times it's taken up to 7-10 days, so I'm not sure if the hold ups are over in the UK, or once the mail reaches here. I've never received registered mail that I can recall, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I hope it arrives safely
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Stuathorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Yay! It arrived!!!! . Will use UPS or Fedex for important documents in the future.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in NJ for almost 18 years and mail to and from the UK usually took a couple of days. I once posted a letter to the Nat West Bank on Monday and received a reply on Thursday.

Mail from NJ to Toronto often takes several weeks.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:37 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I lived in NJ for almost 18 years and mail to and from the UK usually took a couple of days. I once posted a letter to the Nat West Bank on Monday and received a reply on Thursday.

Mail from NJ to Toronto often takes several weeks.
for some paradoxical reason I think if something is sent using registered royal mail service from the UK to US it takes way longer than just slapping a stamp on it! bizarre