Reform!!!

Old May 18th 2017, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reform!!!

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
NSS

I used the wrong word. Sorry. Are you happy now?
this wasn't a quibble about vocabulary, you completely changed your meaning between posts.

A shift from 18% to 20% when shifting from "percentage of spending" to "percentage of income" implies a budget deficit of less than 2%, which clearly isn't correct either.
well, if you've got a better source of information on the UK government income and spending than HM Treasury, then please do share that source. Or are you still relying on "something I read"?
Old May 19th 2017, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
As Robin said, these are all real issues, the severity of which varies enormously across the UK. They are due to a failure of successive UK governments (of all parties) who have have not done enough to plan for the population increases and to invest enough in the infrastructure of the country. For example a generation ago, government introduced the right-to-buy your council house, but councils were forbidden to re-invest the money in building more council houses. Government also loosened the restrictions on lending, leading to a stupid credit crisis and ridiculous house prices. Have we got the right balance between building on green land/brown land, what are the incentives, are builders land-banking too much due to the supply/demand economics pushing up house prices? It's not simple...

I would also assert they have not done enough to ensure we have enough university places to train future doctors, nurses, pharmacists, technicians etc to staff the NHS, and it wouldn't have taken much imagination to ensure a sufficient stream of UK students to fill those places (eg offering grants to those students conditional on them working for the NHS for a period of time like 10 years). There might be plenty of immigrants using the NHS, but then there also plenty of immigrants staffing the NHS, and should they all decide to return to their country of origin then that will be a disaster. 26% of all doctors are not British - 10% from the EU and 16% from the RoW.
Having a steady stream of UK students entering the medical field is simply too logical an objective it seems for government to grasp. My impression is government prefers to pay the dole than pay the same and a bit more for someone studying to enter medical field.
Old May 20th 2017, 10:12 am
Just Joined

team6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want anyone thinking I blame the people...it's the government we have all these extra people coming to live but aren't putting extra doctors nurses schools ect...it's horrible to see people in hospital and have a Mobil curtain put around them in a corridor this shouldn't be happening...and you live in the local area but get knocked back for a school place because it's jam packed
Old May 20th 2017, 11:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by team6 View Post
I don't want anyone thinking I blame the people...it's the government we have all these extra people coming to live but aren't putting extra doctors nurses schools ect...
The irony of your situation isn't lost on us. You blame the UK government because it's unable to deal with the number of immigrants... so your solution is to become an immigrant yourself in the US.

Ian
Old May 20th 2017, 11:55 am
Just Joined

team6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
The irony of your situation isn't lost on us. You blame the UK government because it's unable to deal with the number of immigrants... so your solution is to become an immigrant yourself in the US.

Ian
I am allowed my opinion on my own country... I don't blame the immigrant ...so I don't need smart answers back about me being one...I am doing it as my husbands family live in the USA ...and my kids want to be beside them..is that ok
Old May 20th 2017, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by team6 View Post
I don't need smart answers back about me being one...
I wasn't trying to be smart; I was simply pointing out the obvious. Your response doesn't surprise me, though... people don't generally like it when I do that.

I am doing it as my husbands family live in the USA...
People can move wherever they want to so long as the country allows it. They can even move from other EU countries to the UK... well, for the time being.

... and my kids want to be beside them..is that ok
Don't your kids like your side of the family? I'm just making an observation.

Ian
Old May 20th 2017, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Do what?? I have absolutely nothing again people moving around the world it's a great advantage we have ...I honestly couldn't care less if you agreed or not...I have my dad who isn't keeping very good and the rest are dead...my mums side I don't keep in touch with after she left me for alcohol at 12 ...I hope that is a good enough reason
Old May 21st 2017, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Canson is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a degree in IT, and was considering doing a masters in the US, which would give me 3 years to work afterwards (OPT), however I can see Trump ending OPT, or at least ending the STEM extension. H1B maybe at threat as well.

Whether any comprehensive reform is actioned under Trump (such as moving to point scoring system) I personally think is unlikely. I think most likely he will just cut numbers, visa types, and implement more restrictions.
Old May 21st 2017, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Canson View Post
I have a degree in IT, and was considering doing a masters in the US, which would give me 3 years to work afterwards (OPT), however I can see Trump ending OPT, or at least ending the STEM extension. H1B maybe at threat as well.

Whether any comprehensive reform is actioned under Trump (such as moving to point scoring system) I personally think is unlikely. I think most likely he will just cut numbers, visa types, and implement more restrictions.
Hi
That's my husbands career aswel...it is a worrying time with trump I hope he doesn't make it longer for anyone 😢
Old May 21st 2017, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Could have been worse...
Old May 21st 2017, 7:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canson View Post

Trump is already 5 months into his first year. He has only three more to go after the first. It is not a given that he will 1) run again and 2) be re-elected for a second term.

Make your choices based on the conditions NOW not on what might happen in the future when that happening is a bookie's dream.
Old May 21st 2017, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Trump is already 5 months into his first year. He has only three more to go after the first. It is not a given that he will 1) run again and 2) be re-elected for a second term.

Make your choices based on the conditions NOW not on what might happen in the future when that happening is a bookie's dream.
In fact according to the bookies it's only half/half that he'll even get to that stage.