Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

orthodontic work and moving

orthodontic work and moving

Old May 18th 2017, 4:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default orthodontic work and moving

The subject of how to handle orthodontic treatment when moving to/from the USA came up in another thread recently.

I spoke to my son's orthodontist this morning about how to handle this.

If possible, wait until you have moved, find a good orthodontist and start treatment with the person who will be able to finish it.

If you've already started treatment then you have 2 options.

1. Ask your current orthodontist to contact the sales rep/manufacturer of your current orthodontic system to ask for a list of orthodontists in your new country, near to where you will be living.

2. Go to a good local orthodontist for a new patient consultation and they will be able to advise you if they can continue the treatment for you, or whether they think you can continue with a different system. If you are lucky then they will find out the local orthodontists that can continue with your system if they can't.

In the USA, orthodontic treatment is partly funded by your dental insurance and you may have to find an orthodontist that is in network for your insurance company in order to qualify for the funding. If you also have to find an orthodontist that does your particular system along with being in-network, you can see it starts to get more difficult.
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

MariaKW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: orthodontic work and moving

Oooh this was relevant to me as my daughter will be arriving in the US with braces.

Much appreciated and points noted.