Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recommend Pet Transporter

Recommend Pet Transporter

Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend Pet Transporter

If you're flying BA, I think they require you to use Pet Air as their official transporter if you're flying out from the UK: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ling-with-pets

I'm hopefully going to be making a direct trip to PHX from LHR when the time comes and will be using Pet Air for my cat. I've been quoted about £900 for their premium service. They have people who assist with check-in and collection at the POE - worth it for the peace of mind in my opinion. I've read only good reviews.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in contact with Petair UK (Scotland) about flying my wee Chug (pug cross w/ Chihuahua) to Dallas.. They seem very professional.

I was told you can only book one month in advance of flying. its a little expensive (but not the most expensive) and I was told the price is final and no room for negotiation.

My problem is many airlines won't fly Pugs (or crosses) on long haul as they tend to have flat faces and breathing problems. Although, my wee dog (called Texas.. that will be interesting calling for him in Dallas....) doesn't have problems. Lufansa will fly him there via Frankfurt for around £1000
Old Apr 5th 2019, 10:54 am
Just Joined

RoxanneB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
Some really helpful replies here for the OP

We moved our dog with Pet Air UK - very professional. Not the cheapest, but if you want good service and have someone else worry about the process, then they do a great job.

Good luck
Thank you!

Pet Air have come up a lot in our research so we will probably go with them.

Thanks again
Old May 1st 2019, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

My dog arrived in Dallas yesterday after departing from Edinburgh on Monday (Via Frankfurt). Petair UK handled the process and I have a few summary points:
  1. Airlines are now imposing bans on animals flying to Texas due to the heat. Lufansa have a blanket ban from 1st may - 1st Sept (according to petair). My dog was scheduled to fly on the 9th but we had to move this forward. I was disappointed that peatier weren't more knowledgable on this point as you pay for experience... surely this isn't the 1st year of such bans. I think he said BA do its on an ad-hoc booking basis.
  2. My dog was collected from my house and I got a text & picture when we was checked in.
  3. Lufansa give you a tracking number to track pets (I assumer its like any items being shipped)
  4. My dog spent the night in Frankfurt and Petair provided me links to look at the facility etc before we booked (although I could google it)
  5. You need to factor in a few hours of crate time into the travel - my dog was loaded onto the plane/crate at 8am (10am departure) and didn't clear customs in Dallas until 10ish (uk time). so although the flight was only 10hours the. total crate time was more like 14.
  6. Although the information said the airline wouldn't let us put out own blankets in, we did and they were OK with it.
  7. The airport staff are animal lovers and will care for the pets.
  8. At Dallas there is a $75 customs charge.
  9. At Dallas we (my in laws) went to the airline cargo desk and checked in, then had to take customs paper to customs to collect the dog. (this process took 2-3 hours)
  10. my dog is still alive and appears to be enjoying Dallas :-)
  11. its stressful but got to let the pro's d their job
Old May 1st 2019, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

PinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond reputePinkRibbon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for updating, really helpful and I'm pleased to hear your dog has landed safely. Good point about crate time as if we do move over we have 3 different flights with a total journey time of around 21hrs!
Old May 1st 2019, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PinkRibbon
Thanks for updating, really helpful and I'm pleased to hear your dog has landed safely. Good point about crate time as if we do move over we have 3 different flights with a total journey time of around 21hrs!

No problem and remember your pet doesn't need to be on the same flight as you. You could send them a shorter route or fly over consecutive days to reduce crate time.

For example my dog went
Monday 6pm: EDIN > Franfurt
Night in Kennels @ frankfurt
Tuesday @ 10am FRK > Dallas

anyways - good luck
Old May 6th 2019, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoxanneB
Hi All,

My husband, son, cat and I will be moving to the greater Dallas area from Hampshire in the next few months.

Is is anyone able to please recommend a professional pet transporter that they have used personally?

TIA

we used pet air for 2 cats. LHR to IAD dulles. 1381GBP in 2017. they supplied everything, they delivered the specially built crates (inc of water feeder and food) with absorbent bedding early to us so the cats could get used to them. They picked up cats from our door for one night boarding, we picked them up at IAD cargo area 24 hours later, very easy process. your cat may need to be rabies jabbed in UK within 30 days of intended fly dependent on the state regulations where you are going. Virginia is rabies free (so is the uk ) but we still needed to get them inoculated.
Old May 6th 2019, 10:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
we used pet air for 2 cats. LHR to IAD dulles. 1381GBP in 2017. they supplied everything, they delivered the specially built crates (inc of water feeder and food) with absorbent bedding early to us so the cats could get used to them. They picked up cats from our door for one night boarding, we picked them up at IAD cargo area 24 hours later, very easy process. your cat may need to be rabies jabbed in UK within 30 days of intended fly dependent on the state regulations where you are going. Virginia is rabies free (so is the uk ) but we still needed to get them inoculated.
I don’t think it is accurate to say that Virginia is rabies free. There is rabid wildlife all up and down the eastern seaboard and doubtless all across the country. It is essential that anyone importing a pet ensure that it is protected with the rabies vaccine.
Old May 7th 2019, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

I don’t think it is accurate to say that Virginia is rabies free. There is rabid wildlife all up and down the eastern seaboard and doubtless all across the country. It is essential that anyone importing a pet ensure that it is protected with the rabies vaccine.
it is said in the context of requiring a rabies jab, not as a factual statement.
I agree there could be loads of rabies infected animals in any state
Old May 7th 2019, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

GMT27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I have been looking into this myself for my two cats, but I will be traveling from the US to the UK. After many weeks of research and discussions, I found the best option was to take a voyage across the atlantic on the Queen May 2. The QM2 have 24 kennels, and Cunard are very helpful.

Please let me know how you get along.
Old May 7th 2019, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

now that sounds great.
Old May 7th 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=GMT27;12680457]Hello,
I have been looking into this myself for my two cats, but I will be traveling from the US to the UK. After many weeks of research and discussions, I found the best option was to take a voyage across the atlantic on the Queen May 2. The QM2 have 24 kennels, and Cunard are very helpful./QUOTE]

We idly mused about that for our two when we moved, but found the kennels were booked up to a year in advance !
Old May 7th 2019, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

GMT27 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you book a crossing on the QM2, you can go on the kennel waitlist. The waitlist does move fairly quickly. I recently booked a crossing for November, and I have one kennel confirmed. You need 2 upper kennels for cats.
Old May 7th 2019, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pet Air UK would definitely recommend, we moved our yellow lab from Oxfordshire to Texas very happy with the service as mentioned previously not the cheapest, we were very choosy who we would let ship our boy over.