Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Originally Posted by uknobby
....As for healthcare yes it costs you here but at least you get seen too now the UK do you really want to spend 5 years on a waiting list for a serious operation hmmm lemme see I dont think so...
More likely to just get your policy cancelled on you if you're to pricey, plus you become beholden to the job. Serious illness, don't think the waiting in the UK in real terms is all that bad, can be for the not so serious, but then the US isn't that different in that regards.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I have no illusions about the NHS, I just know I wont go bankrupt should I need it.
Ace and when did you last pay National Insurance?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
You think think after so many years away from the UK the NHS is better? They die to soon because they can't afford the healthcare or because they didn't plan for it?

I sound aggressive, truly I'm not being, I am just very interested in why people think the UK is better?
Well at least they don't cancel your insurance before you are even finished getting your final cancer scan. So if the all clear wasn't forthcoming you'd be up sh1t creek without a paddle.
How do you plan for it? We buy medical insurance or work in a job that provides it. What else is there too do. Oh yeah we have 6 months of living expenses saved. not much else people can do.
We are/were a family of 5 earning $48,000 a year, quite normal and average income even for around here.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

She'll be heading back to work from what she's said in other conversations. So I guess she'll be paying like anyone else.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
She'll be heading back to work from what she's said in other conversations. So I guess she'll be paying like anyone else.
With a how many year gap? Thats my gripe, the NHS is so not what so many people remember!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I paid into it before I left, and plan on doing so again when I get home. I am not now, and never have been a freeloader if that is what you are suggesting. I plan on working and doing my part when I get back, and god willing I wont need to use the NHS for anything serious. I will take my pension when the time comes from the US social security insurance, that I am paid up in full. I am a British citizen and an American citizen, and have never expected anything for free. I just wish it was more affordable for Americans.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I sound aggressive, truly I'm not being, I am just very interested in why people think the UK is better?
Not necessarily better, but you can get BUPA for £30 a month if you really want to top up your healthcare and you aren't going to have to worry about taking this pill this week or whether to pay for heating/groceries etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least they don't cancel your insurance before you are even finished getting your final cancer scan. So if the all clear wasn't forthcoming you'd be up sh1t creek without a paddle.
How do you plan for it? We buy medical insurance or work in a job that provides it. What else is there too do. Oh yeah we have 6 months of living expenses saved. not much else people can do.
We are/were a family of 5 earning $48,000 a year, quite normal and average income even for around here.
Thanks MUmmy..
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Disgusting I agree, is the UK any better, mmmmmmmmm?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Not necessarily better, but you can get BUPA for £30 a month if you really want to top up your healthcare and you aren't going to have to worry about taking this pill this week or whether to pay for heating/groceries etc.
Bugger off 30 quid of Bupa might get you a plaster for your cut!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger off 30 quid of Bupa might get you a plaster for your cut!
As a family of 5 (then) just over 5 years ago, we paid 19 GBP a month for BUPA coverage through my husbands work.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the, it's ok living here, we're getting on with it, some things are better, some are worse, some are about the same. But I wish we hadn't bothered moving here in the first place.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nethead
As a family of 5 (then) just over 5 years ago, we paid 19 GBP a month for BUPA coverage through my husbands work.
Wow as a family of 3 we paid about 350 a month, but we did get free newspapers and meals for visiting guests
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Disgusting I agree, is the UK any better, mmmmmmmmm?
How long have you been in the US??
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
How long have you been in the US??
A lot less than you which is why I feel able to comment!

Oh and I still pay my NHS contributions because never say never!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.