Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Wikiposts

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You posted an opinion So the argument that banning guns will reduce gun crime does not necessarily stand up.

Everything can always be debated.....
Ok. Let's debate it. I am game.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
Ok. Let's debate it. I am game.
lol... Not me!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
It's no different than any other country in as much as it has it's good and bad points. On a personal level it cost me more to live here than where I'm from and coming from England the way the health system here works takes some getting used to.

Have I enjoyed living here ? Yes.

Knowing what I know now would I do it again if I could turn the clock back ? More than likely not.
That pretty much sums it up for me too.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:58 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uknobby
As for healthcare yes it costs you here but at least you get seen too now the UK do you really want to spend 5 years on a waiting list for a serious operation hmmm lemme see I dont think so.
Wow sorry you had to wait so long for a serious operation in the UK, or was it a family member?
If I had to wait that long I'd have saved my pennies and paid for private probably.
But then I've never known anyone have to wait long for anything and the family have had really good care in the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:11 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh dear..... Well, I don't own a gun, and I'm sure I'm never going to....in fact I don't know anyone who has admitted to me that they own a gun. Well except for the police officer neighbor a couple of doors down, but that's his service gun. But, if someone were coming into my house, I might wish I had a gun.....
My Dad and Uncle own guns and would be outraged if anyone suggested that owning one should be outlawed But hubby on the other hand has never owned one and the simply the thought of handling one would scare him half to death And if I was truthful, so would I
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uknobby
Its 2 totally different places completely different lifestyles but if you just comparing gun laws/ healthcare well gun laws: so more people in the US carry guns legally theres probably more people in the UK carrying guns illegally than you think. Crime there's just as much violent crime in the UK as there is in the US but it is dramatised more here in the media than in the UK for sure. I see no real difference between the two just as many people struggling in UK as here. As for healthcare yes it costs you here but at least you get seen too now the UK do you really want to spend 5 years on a waiting list for a serious operation hmmm lemme see I dont think so. Taxes here are way less than in the UK so leading to a better lifestyle but of course alot of these things depend on what you really come to the US for everywhere in the world is different and theres pros and cons to them all I still call the UK home and always will I love to be on approach to LHR and look out the window see the land trees etc but I hate getting of the plane and paying 80 gbp to fill up my car and 4 pound for a beer and realising how many years I was screwed on taxes for, I love it here in the USA and would never plan to return to the UK to live.
I have worked hard for 34 years in the US, and due to a recent health issue, WITH insurance, I am now bankrupt.....Ill take the UK..wont loose everything if I get sick, and dont want to get old in the US thats for sure.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:32 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I have worked hard for 34 years in the US, and due to a recent health issue, WITH insurance, I am now bankrupt.....Ill take the UK..wont loose everything if I get sick, and dont want to get old in the US thats for sure.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:36 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

dont want to get old in the US thats for sure.
totally amazing how many Americans seem to do it successfully .
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Good luck to them.!! Its totally amazing how many live in poverty too.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I asked DH the other day (mostly after reading posts on here) what we would do when we were old. He seemed bemused as to why it would be an issue, I explained things I read etc, still unfazed, he simply didn't get my question, maybe its down to planning, saving, medical schemes, who knows (not my forte to read or understand, I see that as his job!)

But, if its so bad, like you say, theres an awful lot of oldies here!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by traceym
I asked DH the other day (mostly after reading posts on here) what we would do when we were old. He seemed bemused as to why it would be an issue, I explained things I read etc, still unfazed, he simply didn't get my question, maybe its down to planning, saving, medical schemes, who knows (not my forte to read or understand, I see that as his job!)

Everyone makes their own choices, but based on my experience..I am going back to the UK. I thought I had it all figured out too, boy was I wrong...good luck ..
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:03 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym

Sure there are! They plan ahead, buy gap insurance (albeit at a high price) in addition to medicare which covers all eventualities 100%; they save and make wise invesments. My grandma lived off what grandad had put aside, for years after he died! In the end, my dad had to sell some of her stocks and shares to cover expensive care for her when she developed dementia. We could have put her in some cheapie place but we didn't. I think most people think of their old age and plan ahead. That's what gets them by.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Sure there are! They plan ahead, buy gap insurance (albeit at a high price) in addition to medicare which covers all eventualities 100%; they save and make wise invesments. My grandma lived off what grandad had put aside, for years after he died! In the end, my dad had to sell some of her stocks and shares to cover expensive care for her when she developed dementia. We could have put her in some cheapie place but we didn't. I think most people think of their old age and plan ahead. That's what gets them by.
Quite understand, thats why I asked!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Assuming everyone has the funds to make "wise investments " and save....I think its arrogant to think everyone can do that.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming everyone has the funds to make "wise investments " and save....I think its arrogant to think everyone can do that.
That's the scariest part of investing in pensions in the US - you have to decide where to invest it, and even the experts haven't a clue (supposedly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.