Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
B how devastated many of my friends are that they were all given 90 days notice 2 weeks ago that their company was shutting down so no more vacations in Europe or anywhere else for them for a while. .
My US job gave me 4 weeks' notice and no redundancy.

A pound to a penny your friends, at least, get some kind of pay-off. The US is brutal when you lose your job.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Of course you can have an opinion about the UK, I left in 2003 and was back in the UK for a couple of weeks in Oct - it didn't appear a great deal different to me. My mother gets good NHS care, my SIL has NHS/LA home-health visitors 4 times per day, my friends all seem to be doing pretty well financially and getting plenty of vacations in Europe etc.

My experience on this website is that many of those who leave the UK saying it had "gone to hell in a handbasket", "was a dump" and other sweeping generalizations, frequently seem to be the ones who end up heading back there in 1-3 years with their tails between their legs.
- or pop back now and then for free NHS treatment.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You do realize that unemployment in the US is significantly higher than unemployment in the UK don't you?
Its kinda hard to tell because both the UK and US unemployment figures are fudged to leave a lot of people off the books. In the U.S the fudge is that if someone gives up looking for a job they aren't counted in the figures - ( according to some analysts adding them back on and adding the underemployed makes the total 16.6%).

In the UK the fudge is that there are 8 million 'economically inactive' people of which approximately 1.96 million will be students - so in both cases there is a significant amount of unemployment which isn't factored in. Say 3 million of the 5 million who aren't students are really unemployed add that to the existing unemployed numbers and you get 5.5 million out of work. Working age population is 37.4 million and you get about 14.7% unemployment as a guide.

Thats a back of a fag packet calculation and I haven't included underemployment in the UK figures - but based on that I would say things in the US are slightly worse. Not as bad as Spain though - the headline rate of unemployment there is an unbelievable 20%.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Of course you can have an opinion about the UK, I left in 2003 and was back in the UK for a couple of weeks in Oct - it didn't appear a great deal different to me. My mother gets good NHS care, my SIL has NHS/LA home-health visitors 4 times per day, my friends all seem to be doing pretty well financially and getting plenty of vacations in Europe etc.
I went in to work one day, just a another normal day, and was told on the spot that "I was no longer needed as the dept. was being restructured and my position no longer required". No other notice, no severance except for unpaid vacation - and I am a professional engineer. Here we are 10mo. later, and I still have no job. We have to file bankruptcy to get rid of a house we can no longer afford (among other reasons). So at least in the UK, I wouldn't be afraid of not being able to afford a doctor's visit, or keeping my fingers crossed neither my OH or I get sick and wind up in the hospital or something.

And btw, I'm the native USC and my OH is the UKC. So I have first hand knowledge that the US can chew people up and spit them out quite easily.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 17th 2010 at 1:16 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:45 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I went in to work one day, just a another normal day, and was told on the spot that "I was no longer needed as the dept. was being restructured and my position no longer required". No other notice, no severance except for unpaid vacation - and I am a professional engineer. Here we are 10mo. later, and I still have no job. We have to file bankruptcy to get rid of a house we can no longer afford (among other reasons). So at least in the UK, I wouldn't be afraid of not being able to afford a doctor's visit, or keeping my fingers crossed neither my OH or I get sick and wind up in the hospital or something.

And btw, I'm the native USC and my OH is the UKC. So I have first hand knowledge that the USC can chew people up and spit them out quite easily.
It is this aspect of life here that seems to dwell on my subconsciousness the most. I can live with less vacation than in the UK (though the firm I work for has a relatively generous scheme), and other workplace constraints, but the 'hire at will' position means you are continually standing on a precipice with no idea when you will be pushed.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That does not mean I can't prefer living here to the UK. I've lived in the UK for over 40 years, I'm glad to see the back of the place.
One day you may be very happy to be able to go back and live there again. As others have said healthcare here is a huge issue. You have the luxury of always being able to go back and live in the UK and have access to free at the point of service healthcare...Americans do not have that luxury.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

But that's you and your friends and family, equally I could recite how the NHS has very badly let one of my immediate family members down, to the extent of them being put in a coma, how devastated many of my friends are that they were all given 90 days notice 2 weeks ago that their company was shutting down so no more vacations in Europe or anywhere else for them for a while. My views on the UK are from my own experience with friends and family which obviously hasn't been as wonderful and glowing as it has been for you and yours.
So yes I have a less than positive view of the UK.

And (at the risk of repeating myself again) I have said that if I were forced to leave here I wouldn't return to the UK if I could possibly avoid it. There's a great big wide world out there and I would just try somewhere else.

I bet many people living here wished they were given 90 days notice and only had to worry about not been able to vacation in Europe.

It's nice to see you're so positive about your new life here...but I think you have a lot to learn.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but that wasn't the point. Cape Blue was talking about people in the UK and so was I.
You were using the fact that friends had been made redundant in the UK to do your normal job of painting the UK black. So it's perfectly legitimate to point out that well, actually, unemployment is lower in the UK than the US (and lower than many EU countries too...). Ergo, maybe the UK is not quite as black as you try to paint it?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 17th 2010 at 3:07 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If my opinion doesn't count about the US because I haven't been here long enough, does that mean my dislike of the UK is valid because I have just left it?
Most here still have friends/family and visit frequently though.

Sure there are parts of the UK that are crap, but that's not the whole country, just like there are shit parts of the US and good areas...

I think a few years of long hours of work and no able to enjoy the lack of time off and knowing someone who gets sick does take the shine off things about the US.

I don't think it's a better or worse country, but it is different.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...how devastated many of my friends are that they were all given 90 days notice 2 weeks ago that their company was shutting down so no more vacations in Europe or anywhere else for them for a while....
90 days is something of a luxury, when most likely over here, when you get laid off, you'll get walked out the door right then and there and get no severance.

Things can and do change very quickly here for people, the slide is a lot quicker than what happens to folks in the UK, or the rest of the EU...or most places even.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Its kinda hard to tell because both the UK and US unemployment figures are fudged to leave a lot of people off the books. In the U.S the fudge is that if someone gives up looking for a job they aren't counted in the figures - ( according to some analysts adding them back on and adding the underemployed makes the total 16.6%).
The cheeky thing over here, you're also not counted as unemployed if you work one hour a week for minimum wage.

It's all very fudgy...but it's irrelevant really, it all depends on what sector of work you're in, some countries are better than others for certain jobs.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it. I'm amazed how quickly we have all settled here. Having daily routines of work and school, cooking, cleaning, shopping etc. I am fully aware we are living here and it not at all feeling like a holiday or in a honeymoon period, that wore off pretty much as soon as the kids started school and the bills started rolling in. I live here. It's my home.

From a different perspective, as someone who has recently left the UK I do think that a lot of people do look back at the place with rosy tinted specs. Someone who has been away from it for 35 years might not realise just what a dump the UK has become and no amount of country walks and sunday lunches in country pubs can alter that. The growing "underclass" and dawn and subsequent celebration of the chav culture are just some of the things ruining the UK.
If my opinion doesn't count about the US because I haven't been here long enough, does that mean my dislike of the UK is valid because I have just left it?
I wish you well in the US, there are many wonderful things here. I truley hope that no one gets any serious health issues in your family. Always make sure you have a great savings account, and retirement account, and you should be ok...
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Ok last try as you all seem to be thinking I'm saying things that I'm not.

1. I like it here. Me and my family are better off right now than anywhere we have lived and worked in the UK.

2. I totally understand how the insurance stuff works. Bloody hell we'd only been here a week when we were faced with a dentist bill before we could even get our insurance started. Ok, it was only a $1000 but at the time we didn't have the money. I am not blind to what it can be like here.

3. I haven't commented on how things work (or don't) over here in my posts - unemployment, no/crap insurance - apart from one post saying how aware I am for the need to have a fall back plan incase something happens and how I hope to put that in place. Why would I compare the two countries when I haven't any real personal experience of any of the pitfalls here? Yes things can be worse over here but I was asked and replied only about why I don't like the UK not why here is better. I was not comparing the two countries although everyone who has jumped in has done and also presumes I am. Bloody hell it would be like me trying to compare apples to some other fruit I'd only read about in a book. For the last time all my responses are about my own personal feelings and situations about the UK ONLY. I do not have anything to compare them to in the US and I am not trying to do so.
4. The 90 notice days is a luxury here too, it's only while the parent company tries to find a buyer and decides which staff it may like to move to other parts of the company (although this is crap, they're not looking for a buyer just trying to divert some of the bad press this has caused in the UK). I know they are lucky, every other company HO has shut down this year have all been told to clear their desks and leave the building immediately. Again I was not comparing employment law in the US to the UK. This was a response to someone saying everything in the UK was fine and dandy, everyone they knew had well paid jobs and lots of holidays when (again ONLY answering the question of what I don't like in the UK) for my family and friends things were not so wonderful. Comparing like for like in the UK and again answering a follow up question on why I do not like the UK and not "why don't I like the UK and why is the US better?". If we'd have stayed in the UK then this 90 days would apply to us as that's where my husband worked too (and I did on occasion). The relief at having left there just before this happened coupled with the guilt at feeling that relief is terrible These people are my friends and this company closing is personal to me and again influences my opinion of the UK.

Yes, I really hope I never have to go back to the UK (not to be confused with "I hope I never have to leave the US"). I am hoping my green card will be done within a year which will give me some breathing space, if the worst should happen and my husband lose his job currently we would have to leave the US almost immediately. A GC means the chance to look here or elsewhere for another job (sometimes a specialist skill set can be a blessing and then again a hindrance).
I sympathise totally with those of you out of work and the shit you are facing, these are my fears too along with not having the right insurance etc. despite what some of you have assumed.

I hope this makes much more sense now and some of you can at least realise what I was saying as opposed to what you thought I was. And lastly, I really hope this "good thing" I have here in my little bit of WA lasts. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than to come back after 1-3 years with a big "**** YOU" and my tail firmly up

Ldyinlv - thank you very very much. That means a lot, thank you.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this makes much more sense now and some of you can at least realise what I was saying as opposed to what you thought I was. And lastly, I really hope this "good thing" I have here in my little bit of WA lasts. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than to come back after 1-3 years with a big "**** YOU" and my tail firmly up
It's my measured opinion that there are a lot of people in the US in the same situation as you, Hubs, and I'm sorry I didn't contribute to the thread earlier but it cheesed me off and I had to walk away.

My husband, you, the long list of other happily transplanted folk.. they don't post about it all the time. There are a few of you on this site who do, but I know it's just human nature to like to gripe and that will always be the majority. I don't know why I let it get to me sometimes, but it shouldn't bother you. You certainly sound like you know yourself and what works for you.

My husband has lived here going on ten years now, is not an idiot and loves it. For any of you to assume any happy transplant is naive, ignorant or a newbie is just not right.
Some people simply prefer life in the US vs the UK.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by meauxna
Some people simply prefer life in the US vs the UK.
I don't think that was what the majority were getting at though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.