Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Dec 16th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yeah the Mexamerica has creeped a lot further north.....
So many roofs to put on they have to keep moving.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Unless you have a serious illness and lose your health insurance maybe... I feel pretty positive about the US too, and have considered it my home for a long time now. I adore San Francisco more than any place I've lived. But, for all that, there is this level of stress and anxiety - especially at my age - over things such as healthcare and the lack of any credible social safety net. Quite simply, I would not live in this country without having access to good health insurance, and there is no guarantee that will always be the case.
I have loved living in the US for 34 years, until i recently had a major health issue..and even with insurance I lost everything.....
I am going home to a country that takes care of its citizens....
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I have loved living in the US for 34 years, until i recently had a major health issue..and even with insurance I lost everything.....
I'm sorry to hear that.

I always shake my head when people say they will never return to the UK...you never know what's around the next corner.

Good luck...I hope you have better luck in the UK.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm sorry to hear that.

I always shake my head when people say they will never return to the UK...you never know what's around the next corner.

Good luck...I hope you have better luck in the UK.
Thank you,
I am going home to my elderly parents, I owe them some of my time now..
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have a serious illness and lose your health insurance maybe... I feel pretty positive about the US too, and have considered it my home for a long time now. I adore San Francisco more than any place I've lived. But, for all that, there is this level of stress and anxiety - especially at my age - over things such as healthcare and the lack of any credible social safety net. Quite simply, I would not live in this country without having access to good health insurance, and there is no guarantee that will always be the case.
Aye, the biggest bugger is getting sick and then getting sacked because you're sick and then losing that great healthcare. It can all change very quickly.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Think of it as poetic license then. I can't be arsed editing it
No you can say we, I'm feeling in a similar way
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you and fully understand your reasons for returning. I really hope everything works out for you in the UK.
I'm going to sound like a complete bastard now but considering the waiting times, the postcode lottery, in some places the level of care and never mind if NICE authorise your drugs or not the UK doesn't always take care of its citizens either
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you and fully understand your reasons for returning. I really hope everything works out for you in the UK.
I'm going to sound like a complete bastard now but considering the waiting times, the postcode lottery, in some places the level of care and never mind if NICE authorise your drugs or not the UK doesn't always take care of its citizens either
I understand, but its where my parents are, and I would rather take my chances there, than end up on the streets here....
I am not putting the US down, I have had some wonderful times here. Just dont want to get old here.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think that most people can grasp that no healthcare system is perfect, but equally I think most people can grasp that the US system of access frequently bankrupts people as well as leaving them bereft of insurance after a single major illness. Say what you will, but to me it's a no brainer to prefer to live in the UK than to live in the US without good health insurance. I've yet to hear of people being bankrupted in the UK through an inability to pay medical bills.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I think that most people can grasp that no healthcare system is perfect, but equally I think most people can grasp that the US system of access frequently bankrupts people as well as leaving them bereft of insurance after a single major illness. Say what you will, but to me it's a no brainer to prefer to live in the UK than to live in the US without good health insurance. I've yet to hear of people being bankrupted in the UK through an inability to pay medical bills.
I'm sure no-one has been bankrupted but many people have died through lack of care, treatment and drugs there (yes and here too).
I agree nowhere is perfect it's just the NHS is not a reason I feel I would return to the UK.
Maybe I have a rose-tinted pair of specs on when it comes to living in this tiny bit of the world I just hope nothing comes along to shatter that view
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure no-one has been bankrupted but many people have died through lack of care, treatment and drugs there (yes and here too).
I agree nowhere is perfect it's just the NHS is not a reason I feel I would return to the UK.
Maybe I have a rose-tinted pair of specs on when it comes to living in this tiny bit of the world I just hope nothing comes along to shatter that view
I am not returning for the NHS, but if I should need a Doctors appointment, I know its not gonna cost me $140.00, that is a big plus. People avoid going to the doctor here in the US because they cant afford it...that is sad.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am not returning for the NHS, but if I should need a Doctors appointment, I know its not gonna cost me $140.00, that is a big plus. People avoid going to the doctor here in the US because they cant afford it...that is sad.
Not to mention going without meds.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, hence my comment that no healthcare system is perfect. The problem is that not only does the US system kill people through lack of access, it bankrupts millions too. Great system!

As far as healthcare access goes, that's certainly seems to be the case to me.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah my mistake. I got this impression from your first post.

As far as healthcare access goes, that's certainly seems to be the case to me.
Good. Long may it last then.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not to mention going without meds.
And waiting until they're really sick, then showing up at the emergency room, when earlier treatment would have been more effective both healthwise and financially...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.