Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Re-location Advise for the USA!!!!!

Re-location Advise for the USA!!!!!

Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:20 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-location Advise for the USA!!!!!

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No -- just getting revved up for my annual Christmas Eve viewing!
I love that film. Makes me feel all gooey and smushy inside.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Now you've started me off...
Drab Monday, and I just laughed out loud -- thanks, JG!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Michka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really nice

I went to Beloit for uni, and so know the area quite well. Janesville is nice, quiet, very suburban. As the previous poster noted Madison is a student town, with all the pluses and minuses that go with that. I, personally, LOVE Madison, but it that's just me.

I agree with everyone who says that you should visit first, and definitely visit in the winter. Very different experience from over here, and for some people the novelty wears off (never did for me, I still get excited any time there's snow on the ground).

Also, the more rural parts of WI (like Beloit) are radically different, culturally, to the big urban areas that you've probably visited before. People value different things, eat different things, etc. Its worth checking out.

Saying that it seems to me that it really depends on how long you're looking to go for. If its a couple of year thing, why not? Go with the one with the best pay / cost of living ratio and try it out.

Just my thoughts, anyway.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

monksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nice

For what my opinion is worth, my family and I have lived in Wisconsin for nearly thirteen years, we are in La Crosse, which is on the West side of the state. Our opinion is that Wisconsin is the best place we have lived in the USA when taken as a whole. This is our fifth state (Ohio, Texas, California and Arizona). Each state has its pro's and con's. Like the other posters say, the weather here can be bitter cold in winter and miserably humid in summer, but you adapt. If possible, I would visit here before you take the big plunge but if you only intend to stay a couple of years, this might not be a high priority. As for Beloit, it is rural and to be honest I think you would find the commute from either Milwaukee or North Chicago a grind, especially in winter. Do some research as to what Beloit has to offer, you might be suprised. Wisconsin is not the black hole that some people would have you believe. One word of caution, double check what your employer is going to pay as far as your medical insurance is concerned. Ask if there is any deductables that you would be responsible for paying. Even if they say they are paying 100% of the premium does not mean you will have to pay nothing. Good Luck, what ever you decide
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Hey!

Everyone's a bit keen on bashing Milwaukee and Wisconsin, aren't they?! As someone who CURRENTLY lives here, and has done off/on for the last ten years, I've got to defend it.

Yes, the winters are f.ckin' cold, but they're cold EVERYWHERE north, so that's a moot point. The summers are fantastic, especially in a city like Milwaukee where you're no more than ten minutes from a beach in any direction. There's so much to do, as well... admittedly I have never been single and living here, but friends of mine are and live independently downtown, and think it's the bee's knees. There are pockets of extreme poverty and buildings not up to code, so if you're going to live there I'd advise seeking out someone who lives locally to navigate where you're going to rent/buy something long-term.

It will take you a considerable amount of time to commute to Beloit, but that's true in both summer or winter. Madison ROCKS, but it's a student town (we used to live there AS students, so it was pretty awesome all year round), and Chicago is a nightmare for traffic. Lake Geneva is beautiful but expensive, and I've heard good and bad things about Rockford.

ALL I'M SAYING is: don't bash Wisconsin! The people up here are incredible - I've never felt so welcome and safe. We never worry about leaving our front door unlocked (although I still do, coming from London originally. Old habits die hard), and Halloween in our neighbourhood is just brilliant. People make fun of the Midwest... until they live here. Then they fall in love with it.
Errr......... I live in Milwaukee, you don't. Next March is year 7 so I guess that kinda puts me at an advantage on the opinions front.

The beaches are shite. Literally. Last summer they were closed down due to unusally high E.Coli from all the sewage MMSD dumps into the lake - I believe the count is now up over one billion gallons since the mid 90's. I'd say the one bright spot in town is the Calatrava designed Art Museum but unfortunately a large chunk of masonry fell off the car park that adjoins it and fatally landed on a kids head earlier this year cos the City couldn't afford the remedial work.

Your sentiment about the people being incredible I agree with and if Spudster has an affinity for fat, leather clad, middle-aged biker chicks with bad dye-jobs, Gloria Hunniford tans who sport foam cheese wedges on their domes, he'll have hit the jackpot. Either way he's guaranteed to put on at least 5 stone in the first year due to the overabundance of deep-fried cheese curds and frozen custard - maybe he'll changes his user name to Tubbie?

Notwithstanding any of this Milwaukee does have it's attractions. My top 3 are the downtown Amtrak station - Hiawatha Service, General Mitchell Airport and the I94 E (South, I guess).

I bid you good night.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:03 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Errr......... I live in Milwaukee, you don't. Next March is year 7 so I guess that kinda puts me at an advantage on the opinions front.

The beaches are shite. Literally. Last summer they were closed down due to unusally high E.Coli from all the sewage MMSD dumps into the lake - I believe the count is now up over one billion gallons since the mid 90's. I'd say the one bright spot in town is the Calatrava designed Art Museum but unfortunately a large chunk of masonry fell off the car park that adjoins it and fatally landed on a kids head earlier this year cos the City couldn't afford the remedial work.

Your sentiment about the people being incredible I agree with and if Spudster has an affinity for fat, leather clad, middle-aged biker chicks with bad dye-jobs, Gloria Hunniford tans who sport foam cheese wedges on their domes, he'll have hit the jackpot. Either way he's guaranteed to put on at least 5 stone in the first year due to the overabundance of deep-fried cheese curds and frozen custard - maybe he'll changes his user name to Tubbie?

Notwithstanding any of this Milwaukee does have it's attractions. My top 3 are the downtown Amtrak station - Hiawatha Service, General Mitchell Airport and the I94 E (South, I guess).

I bid you good night.
Hark at you! If you find it all so chuffin' miserable, why are you still living here?!

Apparently you and I move in different circles.

I bid YOU a good morning and a wonderful, friendly, Midwestern day.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hark at you! If you find it all so chuffin' miserable, why are you still living here?!
Never said I find it miserable. I see it for what it is and not through rose tinted bins - a once predominantly blue collar city that's shed a lot of its industry, is strapped for cash and whose best days seem to be behind it.

Apparently you and I move in different circles.
Was there ever any doubt?

I bid YOU a good morning and a wonderful, friendly, Midwestern day.
Right back at ya!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:11 pm
Ginger Monkey

Never said I find it miserable. I see it for what it is and not through rose tinted bins - a once predominantly blue collar city that's shed a lot of its industry, is strapped for cash and whose best days seem to be behind it.

Was there ever any doubt?

Right back at ya!
It's frightening to think our paths might cross at some point, isn't it? Milwaukee is, after all, only a wee diddy city. I'll catch you at the beach next summer.

Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

It's frightening to think our paths might cross at some point, isn't it? Milwaukee is, after all, only a wee diddy city. I'll catch you at the beach next summer.

Sounds like you'll catch something at the beach next summer
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

One of my golden rules is to give all gingernuts the widest possible bodyswerve - far too unpredictable and temperamental at the best of times and just think what it would do to my uber-cool image.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:55 pm
Ginger Monkey

One of my golden rules is to give all gingernuts the widest possible bodyswerve - far too unpredictable and temperamental at the best of times and just think what it would do to my uber-cool image.

Less of the gingernuts, thank you. We've had this discussion before on BE.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In other words you have the hots for her and you'll be lurking at the beach every day next summer.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Perhaps it depends on how nicely the young man can say bottul . . . If he says it well, he may get off the plane and meet some very friendly girls in a bar on a snowy night.
LOL, LOVE that movie!!!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In other words you have the hots for her and you'll be lurking at the beach every day next summer.
No need for you to get jealous now, babes. However, I reckon you could take it easy on the lurking front - not too difficult to spot the sunburnt carrott-top wearing the "I Milwaukee T-Shirt", is it?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No need for you to get jealous now, babes. However, I reckon you could take it easy on the lurking front - not too difficult to spot the sunburnt carrott-top wearing the "I Milwaukee T-Shirt", is it?
Was I that obvious?