British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Re-location Advise for the USA!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/re-location-advise-usa-693261/)

Spuddie Nov 12th 2010 8:42 am

Re-location Advise for the USA!!!!!

Hey Everyone,

I am in the final stages of securing a job in the States with a large multi-national company. The position would be based in Beloit, Wisconsin, however from what I have been told most people live in Milwaukee and commute the 1hr journey each way every day. The position (accountant) will be paying a starting salary of approx $65k with health insurance included also.

I myself am a 27yr old single male so re-locating to a place where there is plenty of things to do/people to meet would be important as I would be making this move on my own.

Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated, I am equally considering a move to Australia however most companies will only interview you when you get out there but the money seems to be excellent.

Cheers,
Spuddie!

ian-mstm Nov 12th 2010 10:02 am

Re: Re-location Advise for the USA!!!!!

Originally Posted by Spuddie (Post 8977333)
Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated...

Can you be more specific about the type of advice you're seeking? Are you asking whether or not you should live in Milwaukee? Live in Beloit? Move to Australia? Asking for advice with no parameters makes it a bit difficult to respond.

Ian

Spuddie Nov 12th 2010 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8977414)
Can you be more specific about the type of advice you're seeking? Are you asking whether or not you should live in Milwaukee? Live in Beloit? Move to Australia? Asking for advice with no parameters makes it a bit difficult to respond.

Ian

Apologies if I was a bit vague in my post but I'm looking for advice on what Beloit/Milwaukee is like to live and work in? Whether the starting salary is reasonable considering the cost of lving in the US? Also if people had a choice betweeen the US (with a decent job, good career prospects) or Australia (good jobs market with decent money)?

E3only Nov 12th 2010 4:09 pm

They are sponsoring your H1B?

Spuddie Nov 12th 2010 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8977999)
They are sponsoring your H1B?

Yes this would be covered by the employer.

Gingerert Nov 12th 2010 7:13 pm

I live just south of Milwaukee in Wisconsin, in a town called Racine. I LOVE this part of the world, but there are some real differences between here and the UK.

Milwaukee isn't a wealthy city: it's smaller than most US cities but the poverty is much higher (depending on where you are in the city). The winters are cruel and unrelenting, and the summers are humid and also unrelenting... BUT the sun shines more than it does in the UK and if you can stand shovelling your driveway seven days a week free of snow, then the weather's just grand! :thumbsup:

I'm not very familiar with Beloit itself, but I spend quite a lot of time navigating the health care system in Milwaukee for my son, and I only have positive things to say about it (as long as you're insured, that is). The people are tremendously friendly and the petrol's cheap :D, and there is plenty of arts, culture, sport and shopping if you like any of those. And, if you live downtown, the Lake and shops/restaurants can be walked to on REAL pavements. The Lake is especially pretty in the summer, and they have an awesome kite festival in September. The Third Ward District is nice too - it has a "local" feel to it, in a big city.

I do like Milwaukee, but I prefer to live where we do; about 40mins south. The houses are cheaper, larger, and the poverty rate is lower. Oh, and the schooling system is better, too. Plus, we're within spitting distance of Chicago.

But those winters, man... those winters... :unsure:

penguinsix Nov 12th 2010 11:01 pm

Winter like you have never experienced in your life.

That said, have you checked out Madison WI? College town on a lake, very pretty and a bit of culture. Might be worth considering as well.

meauxna Nov 13th 2010 12:23 am

Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated, I am equally considering a move to Australia however most companies will only interview you when you get out there but the money seems to be excellent.

I was once offered a sales territory up there. I did think about it, really I did.
I had a competing offer in Hawaii.

I ended up dropping out and went to Greece instead. But those winters did look... brutal. Especially in comparison to the alternatives (I already live in Paradise).

Maybe think of it from the angle of what else there would be in it for you... do you have a particular hankering for the US?

nejicano Nov 13th 2010 2:35 am

Hey Everyone,

I am in the final stages of securing a job in the States with a large multi-national company. The position would be based in Beloit, Wisconsin, however from what I have been told most people live in Milwaukee and commute the 1hr journey each way every day. The position (accountant) will be paying a starting salary of approx $65k with health insurance included also.

I myself am a 27yr old single male so re-locating to a place where there is plenty of things to do/people to meet would be important as I would be making this move on my own.

Cheers,
Spuddie!

Wow, get ready for the cold! It sounds like a really great opportunity you've got. I don't know about specific areas of the US, but I think $65,000/year plus medical is, generally speaking, pretty good. How long do you have to make a decision?

Spuddie Nov 13th 2010 9:19 am

Hey everyone..thanks for the replies...yeah I have heard it can be quite cold there, which initially I think would be a novelty (the whole snow thing) and I like skiing cept I hear Milwaukwee is flat so there are no skking opportunities cept cross country....which wouldnt be my thing. I haven't received an offer yet so I dont have a timeframe yet but wanna do as much research on the location before I commit....but I guess sometimes ya can do too much...maybe I should just take the risk and go for it!!

I wouldn't say I have any major hankering for the US, I've never actually been before ...but I do need a change and looks like it'll be the US with a job or Oz with the hope of getting a job!

thanks again,
Spuddie

TimandRae Nov 13th 2010 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Spuddie (Post 8979038)
I like skiing cept I hear Milwaukwee is flat so there are no skking opportunities cept cross country

Wisconsin is flat! Very flat. Think Lincolnshire, but a bit flatter!

tonrob Nov 13th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by TimandRae (Post 8979082)
Wisconsin is flat! Very flat. Think Lincolnshire, but a bit flatter!

I just went to Wisconsin the other day and it made Lincolnshire look like the Himalayas.

Jerseygirl Nov 13th 2010 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Spuddie (Post 8979038)
Hey everyone..thanks for the replies...yeah I have heard it can be quite cold there, which initially I think would be a novelty (the whole snow thing) and I like skiing cept I hear Milwaukwee is flat so there are no skking opportunities cept cross country....which wouldnt be my thing. I haven't received an offer yet so I dont have a timeframe yet but wanna do as much research on the location before I commit....but I guess sometimes ya can do too much...maybe I should just take the risk and go for it!!

I wouldn't say I have any major hankering for the US, I've never actually been before ...but I do need a change and looks like it'll be the US with a job or Oz with the hope of getting a job!

thanks again,
Spuddie

Personally I would never consider moving to anywhere I haven't visited. Moving to a new country that you've visited dozens of times is still a huge shock.

nejicano Nov 13th 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8979220)
Personally I would never consider moving to anywhere I haven't visited. Moving to a new country that you've visited dozens of times is still a huge shock.

That's true, but I moved to the UK without ever having visited. It's an enormous risk, but if you want it enough, it'll work. I think you just have to be really dedicated to it and know without a doubt it's what you want.

Jerseygirl Nov 13th 2010 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by nejicano (Post 8979349)
That's true, but I moved to the UK without ever having visited. It's an enormous risk, but if you want it enough, it'll work. I think you just have to be really dedicated to it and know without a doubt it's what you want.

I suppose it also depends on personality...I have to get all my ducks in a row. ;)