Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Re Bank Accounts & Stuff

Re Bank Accounts & Stuff

Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:29 am
Just Joined

alhanson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re Bank Accounts & Stuff

I lived in Italy before moving to Florida. I thought Italy was mediaevaly bureaucratic, expensive, & too cold in winter, or rather the heating systems were inadequate, but the food, the summer & the sights made it all worthwhile.

I moved to Florida in 1992; the climate & the cost of living suited me very well, opening a bank & credit card account was straightforward, as was the driving test for a Florida driver's license; no-one mentioned I needed a SSN.

Circumstances including divorce necessitated a return to Europe in 1999 & closure of bank & credit card accounts.
I returned to Florida in 2002, bank account opened despite the same bank having kept NO record of my 7 years banking with them, utilities obtained & car purchased all without a SSN, though 2 years on still unable to obtain a US-issued credit card (though am investigating whether obtaining an ITIN would suffice for the issue of a credit card.)

I had renewed my Florida drivers license before 9/11, but after 9/11 haven't dared to change my address on it in case they grab it back or demand a SSN.

Service in the parts of the US I have visited these past 2 years has become very poor, poorer than Europe; most prices are higher here now (ok, not petrol, cars or electronics), food is expensive & very poor quality.

I don't like post 9/11 America & am only holding on for now because winter is good in Florida & the $ is weakening against my £ income.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:31 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re Bank Accounts & Stuff

Is there a question or a point here?

Originally posted by alhanson
I lived in Italy before moving to Florida. I thought Italy was mediaevaly bureaucratic, expensive, & too cold in winter, or rather the heating systems were inadequate, but the food, the summer & the sights made it all worthwhile.

I moved to Florida in 1992; the climate & the cost of living suited me very well, opening a bank & credit card account was straightforward, as was the driving test for a Florida driver's license; no-one mentioned I needed a SSN.

Circumstances including divorce necessitated a return to Europe in 1999 & closure of bank & credit card accounts.
I returned to Florida in 2002, bank account opened despite the same bank having kept NO record of my 7 years banking with them, utilities obtained & car purchased all without a SSN, though 2 years on still unable to obtain a US-issued credit card (though am investigating whether obtaining an ITIN would suffice for the issue of a credit card.)

I had renewed my Florida drivers license before 9/11, but after 9/11 haven't dared to change my address on it in case they grab it back or demand a SSN.

Service in the parts of the US I have visited these past 2 years has become very poor, poorer than Europe; most prices are higher here now (ok, not petrol, cars or electronics), food is expensive & very poor quality.

I don't like post 9/11 America & am only holding on for now because winter is good in Florida & the $ is weakening against my £ income.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:42 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Is there a question or a point here?
Does there have to be? I thought he was expressing his views.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:09 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
Does there have to be? I thought he was expressing his views.
Is the view that Florida winters are warmer than UK winters? Is that it, the whole thread is to say florida winters are warm! Ok, thats fine by me. I just thought it was going to be more along the lines of "I am here illegally what should I do" but florida being warm in winter is a fine thread too, if slightly redundant.

Patrick
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:30 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

And tonight, Matthew...Patrick is going to be...Simon Cowell!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Default Re Bank Accounts & Stuff

OK, the content of junior member's post is misunderstood by pagan sex god as "Florida winters are warm."

Maybe that's what the expression of a comparative view means. To some.

Hopefully others may see the post does ask questions and makes points without resorting to dramatic exaggeration of the trivialities of life.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:11 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

You can change your address on your drivers licence without a SSN, I did it in July last year. You do need to show that you are in the country legally though, so you need your passport.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:04 pm
Pagan Sex God

Don't take life so seriously Al, you will never get out of it alive. Of course I can see what points your making, I was having a laugh, obviously you have been in this country far too long and lost your sense of irony and sarcasm.

Your post poses simular questions to those asked by Duncs post the other day. It also shows that this isn't the country it was 5 or even 3 years ago. We used to come over and stock up on stuff because it was so cheap and enjoy the customer service. Now the country is nowhere near as cheap as it was and customer service (although better than a lot of places) is not that good.

Yours and Duncs post highlight that not everyone is happy here, this is an obvious statement - not everyone can come to a new culture to live and take to it - this is enhanced by other factors, mainly the inability to find a decent job. I have been here a year and the weather is the only positive at the moment (although I love the place I live because it by the sea and I am Sandgrown).

Just out of interest, how are you here for so long without a SSN? Now try and be more fun.

Patrick

Originally posted by alhanson
OK, the content of junior member's post is misunderstood by pagan sex god as "Florida winters are warm."

Maybe that's what the expression of a comparative view means. To some.

Hopefully others may see the post does ask questions and makes points without resorting to dramatic exaggeration of the trivialities of life.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Rockgurl, I salute your eloquence, astuteness & brevity, thanks to you pagan Patrick is now trying to flatter his way out by telling me not to take life so seriously ..... if only he knew.

Lady of the lake, thanks, that's encouraging, I'm moving in March so will attend to the license formality after that rather than risk it twice in fairly quick succession.

I like your 'status' pagan Patrick, don't be surprised if I steal it for use elsewhere ...... I hope, however, it suits you better than it would suit me, wishful thinking aside.

I know we are separated the Americans by our common language, but from a fellow Brit .....?

But I'll play the role you've set me anyway, & admit in no particular order:
1. Sometimes I feel I've been here too long myself;
2. I haven't seen Duncs post;
3. I too live on the beach & love it, & the South Florida weather
4. I don't do work (don't ask, I won't tell anyway!) hence no SSN, but circumstances enabled me to live here for several years in the 1990s, then in 2001 I started staying here from November to April each year;
5. Maybe I am becoming a tiresome person who goes on about a largely imagined 'golden age' years ago, but I used to really love this place. I still love the weather & the beach, but my passion for the rest of it has diminished, & that saddens me.

Must stop for the serious business of a quick coffee, then out onto the beach & into the ocean.

Carry on everyone, you're all doing very well!*
*Acknowledgement to Young Mr Grace