Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Raising the Drinking Age

Raising the Drinking Age

Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Raising the Drinking Age

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
When I was on holiday down in Florida I was in a gas station and saw a notice behind the counter (it was not meant for public view but I did see it where I was standing) it basically said anyone that looks under 30 ID them regardless.
They have that posted at some places here..still rather annoying though, at the end of the day, it's only booze, not like it should be a problem if ya getting a bottle of wine for din
Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:40 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, that's fair enough...but comeon, a passport is a lot less likely to be faked than a drivers license...
It's a familiarity thing. American bartenders know where the DOB is on their own state IDs, but have a hard time finding the DOB on other state's IDS, let alone a foreign passport! Combine that with the reversal of the month and date :scared: It's easier for them to say they can't take it. (Although, of course they should)

But it is a good money earner doing the sting, kinda entrapment though...
They make a lot of money doing it

and also, if the bars supposed to ID when you enter, bit hard fining the bartenders....
Some bars check your ID at the door, some don't. But it is not illegal to be in a bar if you are under 21 (state laws may vary) However, it is illegal to drink under 21, hence the bartenders responsibility.

Here's another one for you, which personally I think is OTT: If you leave a bar and get into an auto accident where alcohol is judged to be a contributing factor, the bartender can be arrested. (I will look up the specific charge.) and the driver can sue the bartender. Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions?
Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
It's a familiarity thing. American bartenders know where the DOB is on their own state IDs, but have a hard time finding the DOB on other state's IDS, let alone a foreign passport! Combine that with the reversal of the month and date :scared: It's easier for them to say they can't take it. (Although, of course they should)
Haven't had any probs with the bars around here, just the grocery store...but I think the thing that really confuses them is that there's a visa with a pic in the middle, so they look at both and go "huh" *l*

As for your last bit, maybe just a maine thing then, because the bars do tend to id on the door as under 21 ain't allowed in bars
Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Here's another one for you, which personally I think is OTT: If you leave a bar and get into an auto accident where alcohol is judged to be a contributing factor, the bartender can be arrested. (I will look up the specific charge.) and the driver can sue the bartender. Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions?
That's a bit harsh...but shouldn't be allowed to sue them if you were the tit, but I could see it, if the drunk hit someone...while bartender knew they were drunk, but still allowed them to drive away...hard to stop someone, I know, but at closing, when you see them all pile into that car park, then perhaps they should hold some responsibility...
Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
That's a bit harsh...but shouldn't be allowed to sue them if you were the tit, but I could see it, if the drunk hit someone...while bartender knew they were drunk, but still allowed them to drive away...hard to stop someone, I know, but at closing, when you see them all pile into that car park, then perhaps they should hold some responsibility...
The only cases I have seen involved people who were drunk and the allegation that effectively the Bar contributed to a likely incident. Could, think has, been used in UK courts as well.

I must admit that I tend to avoid Bars that have Bouncers on the door, I tend to take it as a good sign that not the sort of place I would want to go.

I would certainly take it as a compliment if I get carded.

Not that likely

Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

It also works the other way round, flashing a UK picture drivers license with no indication of where the DOB is and then the dates being round the wrong way just prompts blank looks and then a wave through the door a lot of the time.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

that kind of crap really annoys me... how come everyone has to pass the book? same with people who sue tobacco comapnies because they got cancer or people who sue Mc D's cos they are over weight after eating to many big macs

Ash
Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
The only cases I have seen involved people who were drunk and the allegation that effectively the Bar contributed to a likely incident. Could, think has, been used in UK courts as well.

I must admit that I tend to avoid Bars that have Bouncers on the door, I tend to take it as a good sign that not the sort of place I would want to go.
In Oxford, the city provides its own bouncers for the clubs and pubs in the city centre, and they have to be trained in first aid etc, so all on a level playing field, and supposedly help prevent trouble, well it's a different kind of trouble in Oxford, but it's somin'...

As for trying to bring the bar in, they try to do that in Austria, but yet to have anything happen to the bar, certainly nothing came of it in our case