Quiet disclosure of FBAR

Quiet disclosure of FBAR

Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Dazey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quiet disclosure of FBAR

Originally Posted by nyc123
thanks for the link!

but, since i don't have that much time left to file, i thought on this forum a lot of other people must have encountered the same problem.
I heard back in a day or two from them, so it can't hurt to write now in case no one answers you here. I just found a number, too:

"You can get answers to questions concerning the FBAR form by calling 800-800-2877 and selecting option 2."
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

we're living outside the us. my husband is an us citizen. i'm not, i just have a ssn number, but don't file taxes in the us anymore.

reporting foreign bank accounts:

so he fills out the form for himself, using his taxpayer id under item 3-4 - check appropriate id number.

but how do we declare the joint accounts? part III item 25: taxpayer id number of principal joint owner (that's me) - do i have to put in any information?

and the same for part IV - financial account where filer has signature authority but no financial interest: he has signature authority over my accounts. also the question: what to write in item 35 - taxpayer id number?

thanks!
You have a SSN - so wouldn't you just use that?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

nyc123 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, i still have my ssn, although i moved away from the us around 10 years ago.

but as i wrote before, i don't file taxes in the us anymore and on the form they ask under part III item 25 and part IV item 35 for the taxpayer id number.

thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, i still have my ssn, although i moved away from the us around 10 years ago.

but as i wrote before, i don't file taxes in the us anymore and on the form they ask under part III item 25 and part IV item 35 for the taxpayer id number.

thanks!
For most filers, "taxpayer id number" means SSN. The reason they don't say "SSN" is that there are a minority of filers who don't have a SSN, so they have to get a taxpayer id number assigned to them. In your case, no problem, you have the SSN, so you would use it. The fact that you don't actually file taxes doesn't matter.. main thing is for you, to accurately fill out the FBAR and get it in to them, then you've fulfilled your obligation.

(Obviously this is just my opinion; if any other folks have more authoritative information, I'm sure they will post.)
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I should add that this question and similar come up quite often in the US-UK Tax section of the UK Yankee Forums; so you could browse or search through the threads there...
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=11.0
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:40 am
Just Joined

i've tried calling the 1-800 number, the only thing i've got was voice mail telling me - i'm away until june 20 or i'm currently away from my desk or to call again the 1-800 number...

so no luck so far!

thanks for the link to the other forum - so far i wasn't lucky with finding information regarding should i put my ssn on the fbar or not?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

two more questions just came up:

1. do you report regular credit cards?

2. i just saw, that we have a debit card issued by visa - which is linked to an account that we have reported, but the debit card, since we never use it, we didn't report.
do i have to report this debit card?

thanks again!

Last edited by nyc123; Jun 16th 2011 at 10:07 am.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We have two joint endowment policies which are due to mature next year and have just now realized we may have to disclose these as they both have a cash surrender value.

My husband (aged 46) also has a stakeholder pension plan and a personal pension plan, he hasn't made any contributions to either of these pensions since 2002. He cannot withdraw from either of these for a considerable time.

We have a very small amount in a current account which is used solely for paying endowment contributions.

We haven't earned any income/interest from any of these accounts and rightly or wrongly assumed we didn't have to disclose these on previous tax returns.

Can anyone confirm whether we need to disclose the endowments and pensions?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

i've tried calling the 1-800 number, the only thing i've got was voice mail telling me - i'm away until june 20 or i'm currently away from my desk or to call again the 1-800 number...

so no luck so far!

thanks for the link to the other forum - so far i wasn't lucky with finding information regarding should i put my ssn on the fbar or not?
Your SSN is your tax id number. I thought in the original question you were trying to ascertain whether or not you should even file on the FBAR with your spouse rather than if you should use your SSN.

It's your number assigned to you, no one else has it, so I don't know why you wouldn't use it to file? If I were you I'd do some more googling and email the FBAR addy I posted if you want more certainty.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

my husband is the us citizen, so he has to file the fbar. i'm not a us citizen, nor do i have a green card and we're not living in the us anymore - so i don't have to file the fbar.

the question was for the joint accounts, part III of the form - what put under item 25 - "Taxpayer Identification Number of principal joint owner, if known"

under item 26 and 27 - name of principal joint owner - that would be me, that much is clear.

thanks!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

1. do you report regular credit cards?
No.

2. do i have to report this debit card?
No.

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

my husband is the us citizen, so he has to file the fbar. i'm not a us citizen, nor do i have a green card and we're not living in the us anymore - so i don't have to file the fbar.

the question was for the joint accounts, part III of the form - what put under item 25 - "Taxpayer Identification Number of principal joint owner, if known"

under item 26 and 27 - name of principal joint owner - that would be me, that much is clear.

thanks!
Couple of people, me included, have answered your question..? Not sure what you want now. And if you dig deep, using the "search topic" feature in the US UK Tax forum at UK Yankee there are several people asking similar or related questions.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

thanks!
Even though you're not a citizen, since you do have an SSN, if it were me I would list that as your taxpayer ID as that is basically what they want (the only reason they don't just ask for an SSN is to cover those who don't have one).

If you want confirmation from an official source to put your mind at ease about this, I'd go ahead and email the IRS and scour their FAQs to see if you can find where they address your specific situation. I'm a worrywart, so I can imagine doing this if I felt unsure. You might also post a question on the UK-Yankees board under the Tax section of the board to see if anyone is in your exact situation. Good luck!

Last edited by Dazey; Jun 16th 2011 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:31 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
We have two joint endowment policies which are due to mature next year and have just now realized we may have to disclose these as they both have a cash surrender value.

My husband (aged 46) also has a stakeholder pension plan and a personal pension plan, he hasn't made any contributions to either of these pensions since 2002. He cannot withdraw from either of these for a considerable time.

We have a very small amount in a current account which is used solely for paying endowment contributions.

We haven't earned any income/interest from any of these accounts and rightly or wrongly assumed we didn't have to disclose these on previous tax returns.

Can anyone confirm whether we need to disclose the endowments and pensions?
Would be interested in the answer to this too.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
You are the 'principal joint owner', your Taxpayer Identification Number is your Social Security Number and it is 'known'; #25 IS your SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.