Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quick question for smokers travelling back to Blighty.

Quick question for smokers travelling back to Blighty.

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick question for smokers travelling back to Blighty.

I know the limit is one carton of duty-free cigs before you have to declare and pay tax, but what about US duty paid?

I'm flying home on Sunday and, as all smokers know, it's MUCH less expensive to buy my cigs here than in Milton Keynes (I'm in Georgia, so I can get a carton of Marlboro for around $34, tax paid). I smoke just under a pack a day, so I'll probably need about 15 packs to cover the trip and not have to rush out to the store when I get back.

If I buy the cigs in the US, can I legally take more than the DF allowance or do I need to scatter the extra around my baggage? I know I'm not going to set off alarm bells with a couple of extras, but I'd like to know where I stand. It's got to be better than paying $10 or more (without the exchange fees) per pack when I get there.

Anyone know for sure?
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question for smokers travelling back to Blighty.

Originally Posted by Guindalf
...(I'm in Georgia, so I can get a carton of Marlboro for around $34, tax paid)...
Don't know the answer....but holyshit...that's more than half the cost compared to prices down my way in MA...they're a smidge under $80 for a carton if you're lucky.

But you'd have to declare them if you brought more over than allowed and probably show receipts.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

For full disclosure, they're the Special Blend for that price. I bought two cartons this morning for $68 and change. I think the full Marlboro are about $10 more.

Last time I looks, they're even cheaper in South Carolina!
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the import limits are the import limits regardless of how you purchased them. Are you traveling alone? You could use a companion to increase your limit.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Take an extra 3 or 4 packs and declare them when you arrive. Done it many times and nothing ever happens.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the limit is one carton of duty-free cigs before you have to declare and pay tax, but what about US duty paid?

I'm flying home on Sunday and, as all smokers know, it's MUCH less expensive to buy my cigs here than in Milton Keynes (I'm in Georgia, so I can get a carton of Marlboro for around $34, tax paid). I smoke just under a pack a day, so I'll probably need about 15 packs to cover the trip and not have to rush out to the store when I get back.

If I buy the cigs in the US, can I legally take more than the DF allowance or do I need to scatter the extra around my baggage? I know I'm not going to set off alarm bells with a couple of extras, but I'd like to know where I stand. It's got to be better than paying $10 or more (without the exchange fees) per pack when I get there.

Anyone know for sure?
I'm a smoker too (trying to quit at the moment), but I've spoken to a UK customs official about this when I brought back loads of cigarettes from the US and declared them a couple of years ago.

Anyway, they don't care if you paid US tax if you bought them (that money went into Washington D.C's pocket), they want to make money off it and you will need to pay customs duty on any cigarettes in excess of your duty free allowance. No ifs, buts, etc.

You could be fined heavily if you go through the green channel and they decide to do a check. I must say that I've been stopped twice after going through the green channel at Edinburgh airport but they just spoke to me and didn't check my bags but they did ask me to empty my pockets (I didn't have any cigarettes or alcohol in my baggage). They were quite irritated that I said I didn't have any cigarettes or alcohol but they "found" an opened pack of cigarettes with 5 cigarettes in it in my pocket. I apologized for the confusion and explained that I thought they were asking about cigarettes in my baggage (which didn't contain any cigarettes), but they still gave me a lecture about how ANY cigarettes being carried ANYWHERE are still being imported. They still didn't check my bags though.

I haven't been stopped or checked the other 4 - 5 times that I have arrived at the same airport so it just depends on chance. I wouldn't risk getting into trouble over a couple of dollars of custom's duty as the fine if you are caught will make you want to gouge your eyes out.

Last edited by CAProgrammer; Dec 24th 2011 at 4:38 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Petrescuer is an unknown quantity at this point

I bounce back and forth 3 or 4 times a year for the last 10 or so years and normally bring a few cartons with me. I have never been stopped and I am not worried if I am either. My cousin works for customs and he tells me they are on the lookout for the people that have two suit cases full of smokes, not a couple of extra for personal use. Personally I wouldn't worry about your extra carton.

Anyone know for sure?