British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Questions on USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/questions-usa-597505/)

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 2:16 pm

Questions on USA

I find the USA immigration procedures very complex. And I am evaluating my options wheather to move to Canada or the USA. The downturn here in Scotland is really bad especially in the Financial Sector.

I am a MBA graduate with over 8 years of Financial Analyst experience. What is the most effective way to obtain employment and Visa in the US ?

Is the US economy still booming ? money to be made ? or everywhen going on hunger strikes ?

Elvira Mar 14th 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Questions on USA

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7378584)
I find the USA immigration procedures very complex. And I am evaluating my options wheather to move to Canada or the USA. The downturn here in Scotland is really bad especially in the Financial Sector.

I am a MBA graduate with over 8 years of Financial Analyst experience. What is the most effective way to obtain employment and Visa in the US ?

Is the US economy still booming ? money to be made ? or everywhen going on hunger strikes ?

:ohmy:

cranston Mar 14th 2009 2:34 pm

:rofl:

ChelleyP Mar 14th 2009 2:41 pm

Are you absolutely sure that you really are a financial analyst? :rofl:

md95065 Mar 14th 2009 3:09 pm

Is the US economy still booming ?

:eek::huh::ohmy:

penguinsix Mar 14th 2009 3:10 pm

Hi,

Start here. See if there is a visa you feel you can qualify for. If not, you are not coming. If so, then the hard part begins.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

To be blunt, this is going to be incredibly difficult, quite possibly impossible. You're going to need to find a company in the US that can convince the US immigration officials that there is a 'dearth' of American talent available for a financial analyst position. Try as they might, they just can't find any American citizen to fill this spot, and for that reason they simply have to look overseas to find someone to work as a financial analyst.

Needless to say, it's going to be incredibly difficult.

So take a look at the link above and if you see a few that you feel you can qualify for come back and feel free to ask specific questions about that type of visa.

Good luck.

discoviking Mar 14th 2009 3:35 pm

I am a MBA graduate with over 8 years of Financial Analyst experience.

Is the US economy still booming ?

Are you serious? Analyze this.

Kaffy Mintcake Mar 14th 2009 3:46 pm

For what it's worth, I know several Financial Analysts with MBAs as well and more years of experience than you who have lost their jobs and have as yet been unable to find a new one. Eligible or not, if you have a steady paycheck coming in, stay put for now.

anotherlimey Mar 14th 2009 3:49 pm

Assuming this isn't a joke...

I suspect most foreigners with MBAs, who posses employment visas, graduated from Harvard, Stanford, Chicago.. etc...

An MBA from a good school might give you a chance via employer sponsorship but, as others have pointed out, the economy isn't great right now and there's tons of MBA grads already here who have Greencards or Citizenship.

ChelleyP Mar 14th 2009 4:22 pm

There is an abundance of financial analysts in America. Those who are fortunate enough to have kept their jobs in this mess actually have a knowledge of the state of the economy.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 14th 2009 5:07 pm

It would explain how we got in this mess however.

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 6:21 pm

[QUOTE=ChelleyP;7378624]Are you absolutely sure that you really are a financial analyst? :rofl:[/QUOTE

Financial Analyst is actually a very general and broad term, there are many areas within the Job responsibilities of a Financial Analyst.

My area of focus is Business Strategy and Management Accountancy. My focus doesnt involve investment analysis or that of related to the Stock Markets etc. My Expertise lies in "Strategic planning", I dont know if you know what that entails.

:D:D
MB

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7378756)
For what it's worth, I know several Financial Analysts with MBAs as well and more years of experience than you who have lost their jobs and have as yet been unable to find a new one. Eligible or not, if you have a steady paycheck coming in, stay put for now.

Hi

It depends on the focus area, were they focused in Strategic planning and Business consultancy ???? or Stock investments like financial research etc

dbj1000 Mar 14th 2009 6:24 pm

[QUOTE=begmohsin;7379176]

Originally Posted by ChelleyP (Post 7378624)
Are you absolutely sure that you really are a financial analyst? :rofl:[/QUOTE

Financial Analyst is actually a very general and broad term, there are many areas within the Job responsibilities of a Financial Analyst.

My area of focus is Business Strategy and Management Accountancy. My focus doesnt involve investment analysis or that of related to the Stock Markets etc. My Expertise lies in "Strategic planning", I dont know if you know what that entails.

:D:D
MB

You sound like just the kind of genius this country needs in Strategic Planning for our big corporations! Someone who doesn't know if the US is having a financial crisis and wonders if "everywhen is on hunger strike". Perfect!

elfman Mar 14th 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379176)

ok so you don't deal directly with international macroeconomics or whatever the jargon du jour is, but have you opened a newspaper at any time in the last six months?

Elvira Mar 14th 2009 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 7379190)
ok so you don't deal directly with international macroeconomics or whatever the jargon du jour is, but have you opened a newspaper at any time in the last six months?

Maybe he works for Bernie............... no one there seems to have noticed anything untoward either...

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 7378961)
It would explain how we got in this mess however.

The mess isnt rocket science, its mostly driven by the Housing Market, as lenders residental and commercial default on large loans, banks are unable to collate that money and repay the Money Markets, from whom they borrowed. The players /lenders in the money markets are very diverse investors,whom actually further borrow by using complex financial instruments combined. Its a detailed cycle. Consquently note, for mortgages, lenders are now typically asking for up to 40% downpayment !

The reciession isnt affecting the whole economy, certain sectors are affected. Manufacturing is a typical sector which is affected simply because they largely depend on alot of "Credit" and engage in heavy borrowing from the banks.

In this moment of time, inevitably there should be more demand for Business strategists, Financial Analysis who are focused on Risk/Business strategy etc to help companies consolidate and economise. Financial Analysis are not Stockbrokers or traders etc.

Hope it helps, cheers

Kaffy Mintcake Mar 14th 2009 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379181)
Hi

It depends on the focus area, were they focused in Strategic planning and Business consultancy ???? or Stock investments like financial research etc

I haven't a clue, I only know that there are many of them. All are well-educated, well-spoken, and had very good jobs until recently.

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7379203)
Maybe he works for Bernie............... no one there seems to have noticed anything untoward either...

Of course I read the Financial Times daily. But the downturn hasnt impact every part of the US economy, and in every state and in every sector. The impact is largely driven within manufacturing, Property and construction sectors. And the largest loss of jobs is within the blue collar skills, I guess its how you look at the overall picture, matter of perception. The Chinese will fund the American economy with their new stimulus package and in the UK, its already speculations that the downturn could potentially be over by the end of the year. Your perception is going to develop from where you collate your info !!

cheers

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 7:02 pm

[QUOTE=dbj1000;7379185]

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379176)

You sound like just the kind of genius this country needs in Strategic Planning for our big corporations! Someone who doesn't know if the US is having a financial crisis and wonders if "everywhen is on hunger strike". Perfect!

/

Who are you to Judge ?

dunroving Mar 14th 2009 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379227)
The mess isnt rocket science, its mostly driven by the Housing Market, as lenders residental and commercial default on large loans, banks are unable to collate that money and repay the Money Markets, from whom they borrowed. The players /lenders in the money markets are very diverse investors,whom actually further borrow by using complex financial instruments combined. Its a detailed cycle. Consquently note, for mortgages, lenders are now typically asking for up to 40% downpayment !

The reciession isnt affecting the whole economy, certain sectors are affected. Manufacturing is a typical sector which is affected simply because they largely depend on alot of "Credit" and engage in heavy borrowing from the banks.

In this moment of time, inevitably there should be more demand for Business strategists, Financial Analysis who are focused on Risk/Business strategy etc to help companies consolidate and economise. Financial Analysis are not Stockbrokers or traders etc.

Hope it helps, cheers

I don't have an MBA but I only have to open a copy of the Times Business section to know you're talking out of your MBArse. I suspect you are taking the p*ss.

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7379247)
I don't have an MBA but I only have to open a copy of the Times Business section to know you're talking out of your MBArse. I suspect you are taking the p*ss.

Who are you to Judge ?

dunroving Mar 14th 2009 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379252)
Who are you to Judge ?

I'm not judging, I'm merely making an observation.

None of the experts have a clue what the heck is going on or what will happen next, but you seem to have it all sorted. What is your secret source of information?

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7379247)

Are you a banker or from a financial background ?what makes you think you understand what you think you understand ? other than opening the Times business section, which is usually for those cant read anyway !

dbj1000 Mar 14th 2009 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379252)
Who are you to Judge ?

You are talking total crap. If you have an MBA you're certainly not of a caliber to be making strategic decisions for large companies, either in the UK or the US.

Oh, and look up the word "collate". It doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.

dbj1000 Mar 14th 2009 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379227)

Hope it helps, cheers

This so completely misunderstands the root causes of the current financial crisis that you make it very clear indeed that you have no business understanding whatsoever.

dunroving Mar 14th 2009 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379262)
Are you a banker or from a financial background ?what makes you think you understand what you think you understand ? other than opening the Times business section, which is usually for those cant read anyway !

Hmmmmm ... so are you suggesting that bankers know what they are doing? Are you sure you have been reading the FT?

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7379258)
I'm not judging, I'm merely making an observation.

None of the experts have a clue what the heck is going on or what will happen next, but you seem to have it all sorted. What is your secret source of information?

The Economist, FT, Wallstreet Journal etc. Perhaps this is the problem, everyone thinks they understand the know-how and cant explain the complexity of the situation in its entirety. I didnt say exactly that what I said is the exact comprehensive solution, but its my understanding of the situation given my understanding of the science to some degree. However the understanding is cleared, it has been triggered from the Mortgage Markets and the Banks from the know-hows that I know of. Your information comes from how far you widely read and vice versa and hence form your understanding and perception. The problem is that other factors are making the problem worse, and this is inevitable because we live in a global economy and our stock markets operate globally. The root of all evil as the saying goes has been money and in this scenario its also money hence the banks. They took massive risks, and exceeded their liquidity ratios etc beyond the minimum. Am talking about the Basel Accord here.

cheers

discoviking Mar 14th 2009 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379238)
And the largest loss of jobs is within the blue collar skills,

You are absolutely right. Come on over, the US financial industry is desperate for people with your skill set and insight. Qualified US based applicants are non-existent. Make sure you bring your cat. :ohmy:

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7379269)
This so completely misunderstands the root causes of the current financial crisis that you make it very clear indeed that you have no business understanding whatsoever.

Do you have an alterrnative explaination ? intrigued to hear your opinon. Go on pal !

dunroving Mar 14th 2009 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379291)
The Economist, FT, Wallstreet Journal etc. Perhaps this is the problem, everyone thinks they understand the know-how and cant explain the complexity of the situation in its entirety. I didnt say exactly that what I said is the exact comprehensive solution, but its my understanding of the situation given my understanding of the science to some degree. However the understanding is cleared, it has been triggered from the Mortgage Markets and the Banks from the know-hows that I know of. Your information comes from how far you widely read and vice versa and hence form your understanding and perception. The problem is that other factors are making the problem worse, and this is inevitable because we live in a global economy and our stock markets operate globally. The root of all evil as the saying goes has been money and in this scenario its also money hence the banks. They took massive risks, and exceeded their liquidity ratios etc beyond the minimum. Am talking about the Basel Accord here.

cheers

So tell me - in which issue of the Economist, FT, or Wallstreet Journal did you read that the "economy of the US is booming"?

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 14th 2009 7:22 pm

It is not just the Housing market, that brought it to the fore front.

Read the papers, watch the news, much more complicated.

dunroving Mar 14th 2009 7:23 pm

OK, sorry, we were all just kidding. The US is crying out for people with your expertise. Just Google the "Gissa Job" visa.

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7379263)
You are talking total crap. If you have an MBA you're certainly not of a caliber to be making strategic decisions for large companies, either in the UK or the US.

Oh, and look up the word "collate". It doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.

Since you know what you are talking about and you think you have the right to judge, about other people's "Caliber" lol...........what qualifies you to make such judgement ?

You are ?

dunroving Mar 14th 2009 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379308)
Since you know what you are talking about and you think you have the right to judge, about other people's "Caliber" lol...........what qualifies you to make such judgement ?

You are ?

What's with your obsession with knowing who people are? Do you belong to the Glasgow CIA? Who are you

p.s. The "LOL" is on you - if you ever make it to the US, you'll need to learn how to spell 'Mericun.

dbj1000 Mar 14th 2009 7:28 pm

The Gaussian Copula Function is far more to blame than sub-prime mortgages (which weren't defaulting above expected levels prior to the financial collapse).

By making super-high-risk financial transactions seem easy, these mathematical models allowed under-educated MBAs and overpaid bankers to trade in things they didn't understand, and led them to miss the warning signs that they had destabilized the markets.

It's not the complexity of the financial system that killed it. It's the arrogance and stupidity of the people who thought that just because they were paid millions, they actually understood that complexity. It's pretty clear now just how wrong they were.

dbj1000 Mar 14th 2009 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379308)

You are ?

Who am I? I'm someone who knows that 99% of MBA graduates don't have the sense to run their own bank accounts, and should be kept away from the business world at all costs.

I'm also someone who doesn't need to ask whether the largest economy in the world is suffering during the global financial meltdown.

begmohsin Mar 14th 2009 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7379313)
What's with your obsession with knowing who people are? Do you belong to the Glasgow CIA? Who are you?

I dont know , if someone disagrees with someone, somehow one would expect to think that the person in disagreement perhaps m has competency in understanding the situation. If a Painter comes up and starts being critical to someone who works in finance, saying he doesnt understand what the stakes are, lol, wouldnt you be offended?

err, glasgow doesnt have CIA, its Scotland Yard ,

dunroving Mar 14th 2009 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by begmohsin (Post 7379323)
I dont know , if someone disagrees with someone, somehow one would expect to think that the person in disagreement perhaps m has competency in understanding the situation. If a Painter comes up and starts being critical to someone who works in finance, saying he doesnt understand what the stakes are, lol, wouldnt you be offended?

err, glasgow doesnt have CIA, its Scotland Yard ,

Considering you supposedly live in Glasgow, I'm surprised you don't know where Scotland Yard is.

Sorry, I'll have to take a time-out, my sides are aching too much.

Xebedee Mar 14th 2009 7:34 pm

This thread is top.
Karma to the OP - well done, very funny indeed. :thumbsup: