Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding citizenship...

Questions regarding citizenship...

Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:12 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions regarding citizenship...

My son was born 12-26-08 his father is a British Cit I am a US Cit... From what I have read on the website, since he was born after July 1 2006 he is automatically a british cit...I am going to register his birth with the British Consul here... my question is... if he is here in the US with me, how would I go about getting him a british passport? Part of the British passport process is the counter signature from a British person of importance etc etc... if I am in the US as well as my son... how would we get around the Counter Signature?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding citizenship...

have a search of the forums...you'll find the answer...they ain't fussy, it's anyone of importance can sign it like your doctor, school teacher etc....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
My son was born 12-26-08 his father is a British Cit I am a US Cit... From what I have read on the website, since he was born after July 1 2006 he is automatically a british cit...I am going to register his birth with the British Consul here... my question is... if he is here in the US with me, how would I go about getting him a british passport? Part of the British passport process is the counter signature from a British person of importance etc etc... if I am in the US as well as my son... how would we get around the Counter Signature?
There was a post about this a few days ago. Someone else asked about having to have both parents sign the PP documents. I'll try and find it.

Sorry I can't locate it...we get so many people asking about PP here.

If you're lucky JAJ or Dean who is a British Consul here in the US will spot this thread and help you out.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 28th 2009 at 12:49 am.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Questions regarding citizenship...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There was a post about this a few days ago. Someone else asked about having to have both parents sign the PP documents. I'll try and find it.

Sorry I can't locate it...we get so many people asking about PP here.

If you're lucky JAJ or Dean who is a British Consul here in the US will spot this thread and help you out.

Both parents would need to sign the C2. It is not necessary to get a British person to countersign the form if you are living overseas. Someone of good standing in the community will suffice (your doctor, dentist, lawyer etc).

Dean
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
Both parents would need to sign the C2. It is not necessary to get a British person to countersign the form if you are living overseas. Someone of good standing in the community will suffice (your doctor, dentist, lawyer etc).

Dean
Thank you Dean...you're the man.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:17 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget - his father must have been born or naturalized in the UK to be able to transmit citizenship.

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:09 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul

Dean
Thank you Dean much appreciated... another question, do I have to register his birth with the british consul in order to prove his british citizenship? and is he really a british citizen or is does he fall under the right to abode part of the immigration...

I'm asking so many questions because my fiance and I plan on moving back to the UK within 5 yrs.....

Oh... sorry one more question... my 2 older sons father is deceased, i read somewhere that once my fiance and I marry, under british law my older sons become his legally since thier biological father is dead... is this true? if so, what do we need to move them to the UK as far as VISA's? If they do become his children legally, would they even need visa's? My sons are having thier last names legally changed to my fiance's after we marry, my fiance is not adopting them.

thank you loads, this is so appreciated!

Last edited by agentpeppermint; Feb 1st 2009 at 1:12 am.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:10 am
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Don't forget - his father must have been born or naturalized in the UK to be able to transmit citizenship.
Yes dreamer, he is a british citizen, born and raised all his life in Merseyside