Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk credit score valid in the U.S?

Uk credit score valid in the U.S?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Uk credit score valid in the U.S?

I have a credit score of 800 out of 1000 (annualcreditreport.co.uk)

I have moved to the states after marrying an american and currently filing for AOS.

For those who moved to the states for whatever reason, how did you build up on your credit score?

I only have an account with citibank at the moment.

are UK credit scores valid here in the u.s?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Uk credit score valid in the U.S?

Originally Posted by whatadiva

I have moved to the states after marrying an american and currently filing for AOS.

For those who moved to the states for whatever reason, how did you build up on your credit score?

and I've notice that here in the u.s to get calcuate your credit score you have to enter your SSN, which I do not have at the moment because I am currently waiting for my EAD.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

I'm terribly sorry to tell you that your UK credit score is meaningless here.

My husband had perfect credit in the UK. It meant nothing when buying a house here. He even had a copy of his UK credit report that he gave to our mortgage broker, but it ended up being worthless in the eyes of the lenders here. We were able to buy a house, but that was with me (the US citizen) as the primary on the loan as well as a hefty downpayment.

I then had my husband added to my bank account and credit cards in an attempt to build his credit. Once he had a SSN and a job we applied for a joint credit card to build up his US credit score. It takes a little time, but 2 years on he now has nearly as good of a score as he had in the UK.

Frustrating, I know. :curse:
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rebster
My husband had perfect credit in the UK. It meant nothing when buying a house here. He even had a copy of his UK credit report that he gave to our mortgage broker, but it ended up being worthless in the eyes of the lenders here.
^^^ This depends entirely on the lender. I managed to buy a house last year without a US credit score. My lender used my UK credit reports.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helwardman
^^^ This depends entirely on the lender. I managed to buy a house last year without a US credit score. My lender used my UK credit reports.
who was your mortgage lender?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

who was your mortgage lender?
Can't remember who the original lender was......the loan has now been sold to Chase.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Generally UK scores are not useful.

Do you have a Citibank credit card? if not get one even if it is secured, you have to start somwhere.

Are you buying furniture? these kinds of stores tend to be more lenient, just make sure you pay the bills.

If you had good UK credit you will have it in the US eventually, just follow the same rules.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

read the wiki, big chunk of info on credit system.

best bet was switching over a AmEx card, bit late now if you didn't already have one.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:40 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

People wonder why the economy fell apart.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sime303
People wonder why the economy fell apart.
I think it helped that I put down a 60% deposit and also demonstrated that I had $50k in the bank on top of that. It wasn't an ill-advised loan on the bank's part.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:18 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it helped that I put down a 60% deposit and also demonstrated that I had $50k in the bank on top of that. It wasn't an ill-advised loan on the bank's part.
One of very few I would say
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:00 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Check out www.myfico.com which has lots of tips for establishing and building upon your credit. It just takes some time, patience and process following. 800 is not a bad score by any means!
Wells Fargo are a good mortgage lender to approach.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

thebrit123 is an unknown quantity at this point

My good credit from the UK, 25 years ago, did not help me in the USA. In fact, I was turned down from getting a VISA card. That annoyed me since I already possessed one from Barclays bank. The reason was due to the lack of a credit history. I solved this by opening up a store credit card from J.C Penneys, Sears turned me down.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:01 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. This was four years ago though, and using a fairly small bank local to me. I'd been referred to them via my employer (a known company locally) and then I sat with the mortgage adviser and we pulled up my UK report together online in her office. We moved into our new home 9 weeks after arriving in the U.S. (This timeline was negotiated with the sellers - I got the impression that the bank could have moved much quicker).

I did qualify for their FTB package (95% LTV) but I went for 89% to avoid paying for mortgage indemnity insurance (if that's what they call it here).
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:13 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
Generally UK scores are not useful.

Do you have a Citibank credit card? if not get one even if it is secured, you have to start somwhere.

Are you buying furniture? these kinds of stores tend to be more lenient, just make sure you pay the bills.

If you had good UK credit you will have it in the US eventually, just follow the same rules.
Ditto. DH bought a computer on 90 days same as cash deal when he opened a Circuit City card and paid it off in 90 days. I had him be a cosigner on my car to help build his credit also. Basically, piggy back on the wife's credit for a few years and that will build yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.