Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Questions about US Customs (Customs & Border control)

Questions about US Customs (Customs & Border control)

Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:08 am
Just Joined

tomosmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about US Customs (Customs & Border control)

Hi,

I will be travelling to the US on the ESTA Visa Waiver Programme for 4 weeks from the UK.
I am a keen athlete and want to continue to train whilst I am away, however because of the type of training I do I use protein powder on a regular basis. I am wondering what the customs situation is? Can I bring protein powder into the US? And if so how should I declare it on the customs form?
It is currently stored in it's original packaging but has been opened so it is no longer sealed from the manufacturer. I could keep it in the original packaging but it is a bulky tub so I would prefer to transfer it into zip-lock bags or tupperware.
I've read online that most people don't have an issue but just wanted to be sure as it has a remarkable resemblance to cocaine! Also I wanted to be sure on what to write/declare on the customs form.

Many Thanks,
Tom

**Just noticed the typo in the title, should read CUSTOMS & Border control, apologies.**
Old Oct 21st 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about US Customs (Customers & Border control)

You'll need to put it into hold luggage I suspect. If it is a lot then you can declare it, and I would probably keep the original label of the tub in there as well as evidence. Or you could buy individual branded whey packets, so it is obvious that it is whey protein.

Hoffage
Old Oct 21st 2013, 12:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I take about half a liter of xylitol with me when I travel internationally as I have reactions to many artificial sweeteners and don't want to be caught short without any sugar substitutes (I am avoiding carbs for health reasons). It strongly resembles cocaine, or crystal meth, or something white and powdery that I have no experience with whatsoever. Here is what I do to get through airports in the US, the UK, Europe, and the Middle East without any issues to date:

- Take the powder in my carry-on luggage, not in my checked baggage.
- At every inspection point, tell the security people up front that I am carrying a powder in a jar, and describe its appearance and what it is.
- Cheerfully and patiently allow them to run a chemical test on the substance. It usually only takes a few minutes, and when it comes back clear, they give me my jar and let me go.

If you need to declare it on the customs form, you can say "nutritional supplements for personal use".
Old Oct 21st 2013, 12:13 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
You'll need to put it into hold luggage I suspect. If it is a lot then you can declare it, and I would probably keep the original label of the tub in there as well as evidence. Or you could buy individual branded whey packets, so it is obvious that it is whey protein.

Hoffage
Hold luggage will be inspected and they will probably throw out the powder. I've had it happen. Better for him to carry it so he can explain what it is.

I'm assuming that he's going to be unable to ship a package of it to himself overseas, and that a suitable equivalent is unavailable at the destination, but these may be incorrect assumptions. If the supplement can be sourced where he's going, then he need only carry enough for travel.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Hold luggage will be inspected and they will probably throw out the powder. I've had it happen. Better for him to carry it so he can explain what it is.

I'm assuming that he's going to be unable to ship a package of it to himself overseas, and that a suitable equivalent is unavailable at the destination, but these may be incorrect assumptions. If the supplement can be sourced where he's going, then he need only carry enough for travel.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am unable to ship the package as this trip is very short notice and the expense wouldn't be worth it. I also worry about having the same situation as in an airport where an x-ray picks up a suspicious powdery substance and it is destroyed.
I am not sure whether I can source the same product in the US, I doubt it as most European sports nutrition companies have import restrictions/agreements in the US. Thinking about it I could just buy something once I arrive.

I worry about putting it in hold luggage and Customs see it as a white powder and it is removed however the total weight will be about 2kg which is a lot to carry and may raise more suspicion than if it were in my hold luggage. I have been told be some people that Customs will definitely search my hold luggage and open the bag/tub to do a chemical test but then allow it through with a note saying it's been opened by US Customs. Also that they see white powdery products every day and so will do a simple dog sniff or a chemical test just to make sure it isn't drugs. One guy also mentioned that US Customs officials realise that any would-be drug smuggler isn't going to pack 2kg of cocaine into their hold luggage and try to smuggle it through a US airport, so it's most likely an innocent powdered product.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just buy some here? That sort of stuff is readily available and nit that expensive. You can put any remainder in your bag when you go home and if it gets tossed you might be out some money but you wouldn't really have lost much.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Why not just buy some here? That sort of stuff is readily available and nit that expensive. You can put any remainder in your bag when you go home and if it gets tossed you might be out some money but you wouldn't really have lost much.
To be honest I think that's probably the best option, however I've no idea where to get it? I buy all of mine online and get it delivered but I'm not sure how it works in the US? How does Walmart's prices compare as I know they do some of the basic stuff? I didn't realise it was relatively inexpensive, here in the UK it can get very expensive if you buy from regular stores.
I was originally thinking of taking it with me as it's a relatively new tub and so only a few portions used and it's high quality stuff so it cost me a fair bit. I didn't want to spend another $100 or so if I didn't need to. Having said that it'll be much easier and I'll avoid all of the possible issues

Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you want. Most grocery stores sell something, Walmart is cheap, Costco is cheap if you have a membership, and any of the nutritional stores will have a plethora to choose from. You could even look at Amazon and have it delivered to wherever you are staying.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

GNC sell all sorts of weird and wonderful protein and whey powders. The stores are in most cities and shopping malls and you could order online and get it sent to your hotel.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the biggest chain of nutrition stores in the US is called GNC. I've seen the same store here in the UK. Just go check out GNC.com to see if they have the product you want and how much it is and where the nearest one is to your location.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It depends on what you want. Most grocery stores sell something, Walmart is cheap, Costco is cheap if you have a membership, and any of the nutritional stores will have a plethora to choose from. You could even look at Amazon and have it delivered to wherever you are staying.
I can get by on just some basic protein powder, it's only for a month. I don't mean to sound like a protein snob, I'm a mixed martial arts fighter and I'm in my conditioning phase so I really have to watch what I eat!
I didn't think about Amazon, I hardly use it so I didn't realise they sold that sort of thing. I'll definitely have a look once I'm there. I'm staying quite near a large city so I'm sure there will be plenty of nutritional stores, it's just the cost that is annoying about those stores (well here in the UK anyway). Places like Holland & Barrett are almost twice the price!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
Old Oct 21st 2013, 2:04 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by tomosmith
I can get by on just some basic protein powder, it's only for a month. I don't mean to sound like a protein snob, I'm a mixed martial arts fighter and I'm in my conditioning phase so I really have to watch what I eat!
I didn't think about Amazon, I hardly use it so I didn't realise they sold that sort of thing. I'll definitely have a look once I'm there. I'm staying quite near a large city so I'm sure there will be plenty of nutritional stores, it's just the cost that is annoying about those stores (well here in the UK anyway). Places like Holland & Barrett are almost twice the price!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
Tom, if it helps, I have a friend in Madrid who is a fanatical trainer and coach and is the most knowledgeable person I've ever met about scientific sports nutrition (he doesn't buy into fads, he researches and chooses based on studies and known facts about metabolism and anatomy). He doesn't have any problem recommending any protein powder so long as it is high enough quality and doesn't have "strange" supplements, artificial sweeteners, or too much sugar added to it.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Tom, if it helps, I have a friend in Madrid who is a fanatical trainer and coach and is the most knowledgeable person I've ever met about scientific sports nutrition (he doesn't buy into fads, he researches and chooses based on studies and known facts about metabolism and anatomy). He doesn't have any problem recommending any protein powder so long as it is high enough quality and doesn't have "strange" supplements, artificial sweeteners, or too much sugar added to it.
Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it if it's not too much trouble? Anything he can suggest that is easily available in the US and not too expensive. He'll understand exactly what I need, basics are medium to high protein content (from 24g-40g of protein per serving) low/zero sugar, zero artificial sweeteners and it must be WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) approved as I compete and could have a "random test" upon my return to the UK. If he isn't sure about WADA then just message me his suggestions and I can find out for myself.

Many thanks,
Tom
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:39 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by tomosmith
Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it if it's not too much trouble? Anything he can suggest that is easily available in the US and not too expensive. He'll understand exactly what I need, basics are medium to high protein content (from 24g-40g of protein per serving) low/zero sugar, zero artificial sweeteners and it must be WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) approved as I compete and could have a "random test" upon my return to the UK. If he isn't sure about WADA then just message me his suggestions and I can find out for myself.

Many thanks,
Tom
Tom, you have too few posts credited to your account to do "private messages", or I'd carry this to private. Sorry, folks

What city (or the nearest city) will you be traveling to?

My friend is a professor at the University of Madrid and is a bit hard to get hold of, but I'll send him a note. He won't know exactly what is available in the US, but he can give me some guidelines. Other than that, I have a couple questions... I consider compounds such as aspartame and sucralose, which do not exist as such in nature, as "artificial sweeteners", and substances such as xylitol (and other sugar alcohols), tagatose, or miraculin, which do exist as such in nature, as natural non-sugar sweeteners. Are those acceptable? I am assuming that a plain whey, egg, or soy protein without flavors or sweeteners might be a minimum acceptable standard, and I can also ask across the street from me where there is a shop specializing in that sort of thing. This forum thread might be a good starting point. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123380391

Last edited by Speedwell; Oct 21st 2013 at 4:43 pm.