Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting a business in Seattle

Starting a business in Seattle

Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

TheGriffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a business in Seattle

I am here to ask for any friendly help and advice that can be shared.

I have a small business plan, In short i will say its a kind of cafe. I have some ideas on quirks, themes, etc etc to make it individual and hopefully take a gap in the market. I wish to play on the whole British thing.

I am looking at Seattle, it seems like a nice place. It was between there and Portland, OR. I have a friend who works in Seattle in the Summer, but any other time he is in Ohio. I also have a family friend in Vagas.

Im not really out right seeking green card.

I have read that the E-2 Visa is probably my best bet Visa wise. Business Visa, lasts about 2-3 years, by that point i would hope my business would be running, i can hand over management until i return, or i can get an extension. I also read that if you get an extension they can put it to 5 extra years. But all this kind of think im sure i can talk to an adviser with.

I have experience in catering, this is what i want to do, one way or another.

So that is a general over view. Does anyone have experience in business? Moving to Seattle? Starting business abroad?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a business in Seattle

I'm sure everyone will be along in a minute with reasons why your visa will be difficult to get and I have no idea about all of that but to answer your question...

Seattle is full of cafes - a lot of them chains - and I'm not sure I'd start there.

Funnily enough I was in Freeport ME yesterday thinking what it's missing is a good cafe. Freeport is full of tourists, and it has one small Starbucks that is always packed, a crappy cafe in LLBean, and lots of restaurants that don't fit the bill.

I already have a job and know nothing about catering, and was thinking 'what I need to find is someone who wants to open a cafe...'
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kins
I'm sure everyone will be along in a minute with reasons why your visa will be difficult to get and I have no idea about all of that but to answer your question...

Seattle is full of cafes - a lot of them chains - and I'm not sure I'd start there.

Funnily enough I was in Freeport ME yesterday thinking what it's missing is a good cafe. Freeport is full of tourists, and it has one small Starbucks that is always packed, a crappy cafe in LLBean, and lots of restaurants that don't fit the bill.

I already have a job and know nothing about catering, and was thinking 'what I need to find is someone who wants to open a cafe...'
Yeah, i read enough about Visas to make my head explode.
I was looking at Maine. Though im not sure how i can deal with the snow.
Where i am an inch of snow stops life, let alone, what was it? 60 odd?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheGriffin
It's the places with occasional snow that you should avoid. The places that get it every year are the places that learn to deal with it and get on with life.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's the places with occasional snow that you should avoid. The places that get it every year are the places that learn to deal with it and get on with life.
From what I've heard Seattle does not deal with snow well, pretty much shuts down.

Cafes in Seattle, probably a bad choice.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Life doesn't really stop because of snow here. It sometimes slows things down a little (snowstorm Nemo brought us 36 inches of snow in one go last year - that did shut things down for about 24 hours). I don't find it a problem till late March when I would kill for the sight of green grass :-)
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

I thought the one in Bean's wasn't to bad, especially when it's late.

There's that sandwich cafe by the Brit store too, but you're right.

Anyway, as for visa.

Depends on plans, if it's just for a few years and you're willing to toss a couple hundred grand away, it's great.

If you've got plans to stay here long term, have kids or thinking of retiring here then it's a terrible visa.

Cafe is a pretty tough market, would need to find a place that doesn't have a Starbucks/Dunkin' D/Panera or any other chained doughnut/bagel place to compete.

If you hit a student/tourist town, might be worth looking at a small franchise joint like Potbelly's - http://www.potbelly.com/ Not to many of them, but they're good.

Last edited by Bob; Oct 21st 2013 at 5:55 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us see.

By the time you have bought a property and fitted it out the investment should be more than enough.

Employees, well assuming 7 day operating and 12 ish hour days then you should require enough employees.

I would be concerned about trialing in an a market you have no knowledge of, what works in one place will not always work elsewhere .
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Well Visa wise, as i said i will most likely talk to an adviser about that.

My intentions are not to become a citizen.

Business wise i would keep it open, have someone manage it whilst i'm back in England, if that's do-able obviously.

I would aim for a student type zone, some place "hip and happ'nin"

Snow-wise id rather not be stuck in the cold, though that could go well with nice warm drinks...
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Redmond has the British pantry, a store, resteraunt and attached bar run by a Brit, in Seattle there is the Queen Mary Tea Room. Seattle can have winters with no snow, and some with a day or two of snow, when schools close and traffic crawls.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Visa wise, as i said i will most likely talk to an adviser about that.
Immigration Attorney only.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You talk to a Lawyer, not an Advisor.

Citizenship is not material, the options are one that does not obviously lead to Permanent Residence vs something that might.

Cold and snow, well I live somewhere where it can get very cold, but we do not get a lot of snow. 18f lowest so far this winter. But we are still in October.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

By adviser i mean someone at the citizens advice bureau , or one of the embassies in the UK just for advice on Visas. Not getting one right off the bat.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

By adviser i mean someone at the citizens advice bureau , or one of the embassies in the UK just for advice on Visas.
Those are the wrong places to go for US Visa information/advice.

You need to speak with an Immigration Attorney. They are the only ones who can accurately advise you on US visas.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

I will go to a Immigration adviser/attorney/lawyer in the US embassy in London or Dublin for Visa advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.