Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about passport

Question about passport

Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Dr. Wanfeild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about passport

Hello I am writing here on behalf of a friend who lives quite aways from me so if there is additonal information required just ask me and I will give him a call and get it to you, I am limited by what he has told me.

Here is the situation he is a british citizen, he was born in england by two british citizens on the year of 1986. So we know he is a genuine british citizen. But when he was 4 his parents moved here to the USA, after some complications it was the result that they were then living illegally in the country. His parents never got his passport for him and he is wanting to get his passport after It was advised by his attorney who was handling his case.

All he has is his birth certificate and national health number.
So my questions are what is the procedure he must go through in order to get his passport? Does he even have enough documents to apply for one?
We want to get the advice of some british citizens who have actually lived here. His attorney wasnt very helpful in that regards.
Thanks in advance for the help. Again if anything else is needed just ask and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks
Dr. Wanfeild
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about passport

Hi and welcome to BE. Take a look at the link below, it should tell you everything you need to know about applying for a British Passport in the US.
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/

Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Dr. Wanfeild is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply. I looked at the website and it does explain the procedure. But more specifically I am concerned about his undocumented status here in the usa. Will he still be able to apply for a passport with only a british birth certificate and National health number? Is this suffecient to apply for one at a us embassy? Does he need to show a SSN# to get a passport in the us?
I understand that no one here are experts at uk law and we are not expecting that but your advice is helpful.
Thanks again for your help
Dr. Wanfeild
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need an SSN but they will want to see some form of ID to prove he's the same person as on the birth certificate. They may also want to see parent's birth certificates, as in 1986 being born in Britain in itself wasn't enough to be a British citizen.

What passport did he use to travel to the U.S.? His parent's?

Presumably he wants to go home ... that will likely incur a 10 year ban for the overstay.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Presumably he wants to go home ... that will likely incur a 10 year ban for the overstay.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas
being 22, yup, could have perhaps sorted this out before he hit 18, well the overstay clock wouldn't have started then, but it will now.